DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Engine compartment

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Voodoo 
#1 ·
What is the best method for cleaning the engine bay area? I went offroading this past weekend and got into more mud than expected and a lot got into that area. I am hesitant to use a hose and water, i've heard both good and bad. I need to get quite a bit off so any help is great! Thanks

#2 ·
Don't hesitate to use a hose and water, it's perfectly safe. I just did mine a few weeks ago, but for some reason haven't downloaded the pics yet.

All I do is this...

- Cover alternator and battery
- Spray engine down with water
- Spray a liberal amount of Purple Power Citrus cleaner over the ENTIRE engine bay
- Use a soft bristle brush to scrub away any dirt...a toothbrush works good for hard to reach spots
- Thoroughly rinse off all the cleaner and dirt
- Blow dry or air dry

The next step is up to you, you can leave it cleaned or add some sort of protectant. I have always used the GUNK Engine Brite "SHINE" stuff. You just spray it on and it evens itself out on the surfaces and makes them look brand new.

When I get home, I'll see if I can get the pics I took and post them up here.

#5 ·
My flash doesn't work all that great so I didn't realize how dark these pictures turned out until now, hopefully you kind of get the idea though.

Vehicle Engine Car Auto part Automotive engine part

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Hood

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

#6 ·
Be careful using the purple power caustic type sprays as they will etch aluminum. It usually DOES not list aluminum as one of the metals they are good for on the label. There is a simple green product called EXTREME that you will not find anywhere that is aluminum safe but perhaps the easiest thing to use is the foaming engine spray cleaner by Gunk. Get 2-3 cans if its really dirty and as already mentioned cover the critical electrical stuff like the alternator from heavy water flow and you will be fine.

I wet clean every car I have ever owned since 1980 and never had a problem once. A toothbrush helps get into tight areas as does one of those mitts that covers your hands so you dont bust up your knuckles while trying to reach in tight spots.

#7 ·
I have tried the GUNK cleaner before but never really liked how it turned out after...I've used the Purple Power Citrus cleaner for years on engines and never had any issues with the aluminum parts.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with the GUNK cleaner. I will say it did a good job. When I opened my hood, if I asked someone to point out a certain engine part, you couldn't. That's how much crap had splashed up and it was totally brown. I sprayed 3 cans, never used a brush or anything and most of it came off with just the foam sitting on there.
I am probably going to do another few cans to really clean it up (have some projector HIDs coming) and then maybe the Gunk shine.
Thanks again fellas

#11 ·
I usually use some Simple Green, spray that all over, hose off with light pressure, then use a air hose to dry. I don't use the shine stuff because as soon as you hit a dirt road all the dust will stick to it and makes a bigger mess.

#14 ·
For years my process has been pretty similar... Simple Green, scrub the extremely dirty areas only, then rinse, then dry. I will use STP Son of a Gun on the hoses and other rubber or plastic surfaces (it's not too greasy). When spraying down the engine, 1) make sure it's cold, and 2) be careful not to douse the fuse box, wiring connections, headlight housing, etc. A few drops of water won't hurt anything under there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.