DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 Ram Radio's Please Read

84K views 78 replies 44 participants last post by  1500ram12 
#1 ·
All,

The new radio units are being phased in beginning with the 2013 Rams. I am posting this TSB in the hopes that people will understand that you will not be able to switch radios on these trucks. I do not have any information about aftermarket and do not know what effects these changes implemented will have on aftermarket availability but I just wanted everyone to be sure to understand how the new units will work and to get what you want upon purchase instead of counting on a change later. NAV can be added to the RA3 units.

NUMBER: 08-056-12
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 12, 2012

SUBJECT:
Information On New Radio Systems: Sales Code RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4
MODELS:
2013 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin pertains to vehicles that are equipped with, UCONNECT 3.0
AM/FM (sales code RA1) or UCONNECT 5.0 AM/FM/BT (sales code RA2) or
UCONNECT 8.4A AM/FM/BT/ACCESS (sales code RA3) or UCONNECT 8.4AN
AM/FM/BT/ACCESS/NAV (sales code RA4).
DISCUSSION:
The new Ram 1500 pickup truck has new radios with unique features.
· The electrical architecture has changed. The communication system/wiring is
modeled after the Powernet architecture. Unlike the other Powernet vehicles the
audio screen is part of the radio.
· The 911 call button will be enabled when the vehicle is put into Customer Mode, or
after the vehicle has been driven approximately 50 miles.
NOTE: To get the vehicle out of ship mode, please refer to TechCONNECT, 04 -
Vehicle Quick Reference/New Vehicle Preparation
Instructions/Standard Procedure.
· If the vehicle has an RA1 radio, it Can Not be upgraded to include Bluetooth/Hands
Free functionality. NO Mopar accessory kits are planned at this time.
NOTE: None of the RA1, RA2, RA3, or RA4 radios are interchangeable with
each other. If the vehicle came with an RA1, radio, you can NOT install
an RA2, RA3 or RA4 radio. If the vehicle came with an RA4 radio, you
can NOT install an RA1, RA2 or RA3 radio and so on.
· Customers are able to purchase different Apps for these radio. If the radio is
replaced the Apps that the customer has purchased will take approximately one hour
of continuous ignition on time, with proper cellular coverage, before the Apps reload.
The vehicle can be returned to the customer before the purchased Apps have
reloaded. Advise the customer of the conditions that have to be met for the Apps to
reload.
· RA1, RA2, RA3 and RA4 radios will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· CD players will be on a parts restriction until 05-06-13.
· The radio sales code is no longer on the front of the radio. To identify an RA4 from a RA3 radio, the RA4 radio has 3D Navigation, and a “HD” symbol will be displayed on
the screen, see . To identify an RA1 from a RA2 radio, the RA2 radio will
have a phone button on the lower left hand corner of screen, see.
· RA3 radio is the only one that can be upgraded to include a Navigation feature. The
system will have to be activated by the dealer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow...it's a nice system, but it sucks that it is no longer interchangeable and cannot be upgraded.

#3 ·
Interesting. Do these new awesome radios come with RCA Amp outputs for those of us who want to add more kick to the stock radio? More people would retain the factory radios if this were to happen.

#4 ·
To my knowledge they do not.

#14 ·
The radio (I have an RA4) or head unit is awesome. It is way ahead of the 2012 setup I had in my Longhorn but an immediate drawback for me is no Lockpick available.

The sound quality is great compared to my previous (same nine speaker Alpine) one. The interface is modern, matched to the interior, works seamless with my iPhone, voice commands work great.

Everything that I see in the touch screen is also available by button, switch, knob, etc. so I believe someone could certainly replace the unit with an aftermarket setup. It will be a few months and I bet the market sees the TV add on, Lockpicks, etc.

#16 ·
How long before the aftermarket makes SD cards for the stock head units that change the audio from stock to their audio setups?

"Hey I just bought the Bose SD card for my stereo, and now it sounds awesome!!!"

I give is 6 months.

#17 ·
? SD Cards are standards based, the only difference is speed and capacity. The great news is they are dirt cheap considering their capacity and physical size. Anyone with a digital camera, is likely to have some on had already. The speed of the cheapest model is more than capable of the transfer rates you need for the highest audio quality. Assuming there is an indexing of your songs occurring, the bigger your go, the slower the initial load of the contents would be assuming your using the max space.

I threw a 16GB SD card in the truck yesterday with about 15GBs of music. Loaded within 15 seconds the first time and now it's instant.

#18 ·
You missed what I was trying to point out.

I was saying how long do you think it will be, before an aftermarket company uses a storage device like an SD Card or a USB drive to rewrite the existing software and change the "stock" audio system to a "Brand A" audio system? (Similar to what Ford just did with my ford touch, everybody that had V1.0 of the system was sent a USB drive in the mail so they could up grade to the less flawed V2.0)

Example: I did have the stock 8.4 system, but I bought the "Brand A" upgrade and now my audio system is "Brand A"

It could be considered as, changing the stock head unit of a vehicle to an aftermarket head unit, without actually changing the unit its self.

#24 ·
Dealers are always free to set their own prices. Considering the update cost and a dealer tech will spend time getting the code and updating the radio to enable the NAV system, I am not sure how many dealers will be doing it for less, but it is certainly possible that a dealer will do it as a courtesy for the customer and charge less.

#25 ·
you might be able to put something different in it if you get some sort of bypass module to overright it and make the computer think its talking to the OEM sterio. im still looking into it, worse case scenario i just hook up my sub and amp to the stock one.

#27 ·
Poor FM reception '13 Longhorn w/8.4AN (has NAV)

My new '13 Longhorn has the UCONNECT 8.4AN radio (which includes NAV). It has had "HD quality" for FM. My problem is poor FM reception for many FM stations. It has trouble locking on, and the "HD" cuts in & out... mostly out. HD nearly always says "buffering". Anyone else seen this? Will talk to dealer next week.

#28 ·
Radio Stopped working after 55 Miles

Hello, first post, first new car (whoo!), 2013 1500 Express with 5.0 radio and Bluetooth. Radio worked fine after leaving dealer but around 55 miles the next time i started it up it locked up on the Ram Sirius XM logo screen and is completely unresponsive.

1. Is there anything I can do myself to get it working? I tried pulling fuses, hoping to reset the interface, but never found the one that controlled the radio interface.

2. In one of the post above it said something about taking the radio out of factor ship mode. Any idea where I could find info on that tech note?

3. I have an appointment at the dealer for the exterior/interior protection package to be applied. I want to be somewhat knowledgeable about the problem before I go up there.

But more than anything I just want to enjoy my new truck on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

#31 ·
This is very good to know' better late than never.

#32 ·
had an interesting experience w/ the base radio in my express (am/fm/sat w/o CD)

had it on satellite and went into restaraunt, come out and head down the road and everythings fine, radios on until i look over and the whole display is out. Music is playing and every button is unresponsive but the volume knob. Pull over and shut off truck and restart and the same....

so let it go as i have a 2 hour trip ahead of me and didnt want to do something to make me have no music at all(luckily it was stuck on the 80's channel, go figure) head home, let it sit for a few minutes and its been fine ever since w/ no more issues:crazy:

#34 ·
I'm hoping that they release some updates for the new systems soon. My 8.4AN in my 14 Jeep is a little buggy and I'm sure the Rams are the same way...

#35 ·
Latest TSB. Only involves the RA3 and RA4 units.

NUMBER: 08-026-13
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: April 27, 2013

SUBJECT:
RA3 And RA4 Radio Enhancements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RA3 or RA4 Radio.
MODELS:
2013 (DS) 1500 Ram Pickup (U.S. only)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles sold in the U.S. market and built before
February 22, 2013 (MDH 0222XX) equipped with SMART TOUCH 3
AM/FM/SAT/BT/VOICE (sales code RA3) or SMART TOUCH 4
AM/FM/SAT/BT/NAV/VOICE (sales code RA4).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A customer may experience, one or more of the following conditions:
· Loss of the vehicle position on the navigation map.
· Vehicles Icon changes on the navigation map.
· Compass direction maybe incorrect.
· Touch screen turns off, shuts down

#36 ·
My biggest complaint is with the bluetooth streaming. It constantly drops the phone connection for a few seconds then picks back up. Very annoying. I know it's an issue with the Jeep since my bluetooth headset never drops off at all and I use it for several hours a day. Can even have hour long conference calls with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.