DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Spin Differential??

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  great dane 
#1 ·
I've had my truck about a month and was speaking to a 4-Wheeler guy at work and he asked if I had a limited slip front differential. I said I wasn't sure, knowing that I knew I had a limited slip differential Axel.

My question is if the window sticker says Anti-spin differential Axel, does that mean the front, the rear or is it the front because the rear is already anti spin?

Just wondering if I should think about doing anything to the front to make it true four wheel drive instead of a three legged 4x4.

Tom

#2 ·
Only offered from the factory with a rear. A front one will compromise handling and can be unsafe at high speeds, so they dont put them in from the factory.

#3 ·
if you feel the need for a front locker, get an air locker. arb

#4 ·
From the factory the Power Wagon and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon have front and rear lockers but they a selectable so that they can be turned off for on road use.

#5 ·
I wish I had a true locker in the rear, I got stuck inthe snow last weekend and my damn "limited slip" didn't engage at all...just one back tire spinning and getting me nowhere...

#6 ·
Did you move the 4wd lever to its more active position?

#7 ·
JamesJ2525 said:
Did you move the 4wd lever to its more active position?
i have the electronic transfer case selector knob...no shifter. I had the same problem in my Dakota 4x4 once when I got high centered...the clutch packs in the sure grip anti spin duff suck.

#8 ·
How'd you get unstuck?

#9 ·
JamesJ2525 said:
How'd you get unstuck?
Got a yank from another truck(a chevy if I remember correctly)

#10 ·
hemion20s said:
Got a yank from another truck(a chevy if I remember correctly)

:whackit:

Next time do a whole lot of flooring.

#11 ·
An old land cruiser pulled me out of the snow last weekend...he had front & rear lockers with 35" Toyo MTs...that thing goes anywhere.

#12 ·
What the heck dude? What are you doing. I have cruised through some 3 ft snows in my truck as is.

#13 ·
JamesJ2525 said:
What the heck dude? What are you doing. I have cruised through some 3 ft snows in my truck as is.
It was out in the middle of a field at a place where everyone around here goes 4x4ing/ snomobiling...everyone was getting stuck last sunday, I towed a few trucks out as well. A guy in a dakota 4x4 got stuck really bad at the bottom of a hill so I had to back down behind him and pull him up the hill, it was fun.

#14 ·
yeah, no kidding, if you look in my gallery you will see me stuck in 4-6 foot of snow, and thats just cause I took it slow. before that I was driving thru the field which was mostly 3-4 feet deep. and never had any problems

#16 ·
chadsfast said:
next time this happens engage your parking brake a bit. Not all the way but a bit of extra presure will trick the clutches in your anti spin or LSD to think that they both have equal traction. Meaning both tires will spin like they should.
Yup, this will sometimes. It will also work on open diffs more effectively. I used to do this when pulling our Intrepid into the garage up our steep driveway in those Michigan winters.

#17 ·
chadsfast said:
next time this happens engage your parking brake a bit. Not all the way but a bit of extra presure will trick the clutches in your anti spin or LSD to think that they both have equal traction. Meaning both tires will spin like they should.
I've tried that a couple times and it never worked for me...maybe I didn't engage it enough to apply enough braking pressure to the wheel that was spinning freely...I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to try it out again this weekend

#18 ·
Thanks I had forgotten about that trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.