DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012 4x4 frontend....what do you guys think?

14K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  greychevy 
#1 ·
As you guys know, 2011 & 2012 Rams have to get a ZF limited slip machined and new bolt holes drilled if they want to put lower then a 4.10 gear in the rear. Also, the fronend on 2012 4x4s went from a 205mm to a 215mm so we are restricted to a 3.92 as the lowest gear that can be installed.

We just dropped off my ZF limited slip and pre 2011 4.56 gears at the machine shop to make it work. Looks like a decent amount of metal needs to be taken off the LDS so the ring gear will fit.

My question is, do you guys think that it would work if I had a 215mm frontend carrier machined to fit with a 205mm ring gear? Seems as though it would be similiar to what we do to make the rear work.

#37 ·
Update: So the truck feels night and day difference. Before, I could not get it to spin the tires from a dead stop even with light weight 17s(traction control off obviously). Now, it will burn the shit out of them even with the stock 20s I've been running. Should be able to get some track times here soon. It's needing a tune really bad though....you can feel the tq management still holding it back really bad and I could use higher shift points

#39 ·
Ethan - if you don't mind shoot me a pm with what it cost you to do the swap. Mine should be cheaper because I have a 2011. I also probably won't notice as much difference as you because I'm running 35s with 3.92, but should still notice a difference.

#40 ·
I bought a rear limited slip to have machined so I wouldn't have as much down time but that was $300. Then the cost to have the carrier machined.....can't really remember but that was $150-$250. Front and rear gears with install kits were around $500. Yes, I bought the cheap ones, motive front and USA rears, from rons machine shop on ebay but I have never had a problem with them. $300 an end for the install so $600 there. That should do you. I paid an additional $600 for a used 2010 front diff assembly, 2010 bracket, 2010 CV axles(weren't needed but wasn't sure if we would need them or not), and 2010 drive shaft. I'm probably in for $2.5k including fluids, paying fasthemiram05 for pulling the front diff/cordinating everything, small random costs, ect. Should be able to sell my ZF rear limited slip, 2012 front diff assembly, and 2010 CV axles to recoup some costs. Not really all that bad for all that had to be done to make it happen though.

#41 ·
Here is a quick clip of 5mph to 70 mph. I plan on getting a better one tomorrow. This thing is gonna fly with longtubes and a tune. This is with the traction control on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lMpnnDr81s

#42 ·
Damn!!! That's awesome. Can't wait until I do mine.

#43 ·
Finally had time to order a pre-2012 front drive shaft and it came in. Prob gonna install it Thursday. So far, so good with everything else

#44 ·
Picture of the 2010 front driveshaft yoke and the 2012 front driveshaft yoke. Everything is bolted back in and good to go....I have 4wd again. Hitting the track tonight and will report back

Attachments

#51 ·
Like fasthemiram05 said, pinion position was different. We considered this the first time we opened up the front. I almost gave up on the truck after that then Josh talked me into the front end swap.

#52 · (Edited)
Unfortunately do to price and effort I don't think this is going to happen for me. A bit annoying, the truck should have come with a warning, lol. I think it is easier just to trade up in year or so and get a 3.92 gear set. At least then I can get a 8sd Hemi and Air suspension. Until then, It isn't to bad with the 3.55, dropping it a bit, putting bit smaller diameter wheel and tire on it, and throwing a tuner should help a bit.

#53 ·
Can you tell me what was machined and why ? i am also looking do this install on my 2013 CC 4x4 sport . i just want to get everything i need so there is not much down time . thank you

#54 ·
Wow this is a mess, now they're really going to hurt themselves when the people like you guys and us that want them and want to make them better see that these are going to have even worse aftermarket support.
Not many people are going to want these additional costs, but the aftermarket gear companies i believe will offer other ratios and or carriers, may be a year or 2 but that should happen i hope.
Im gonna start calling my gear companies and make them aware of this and see what happens.

#55 ·
Wonder if any of the gear companies are working on this yet?

#56 ·
The rear diff is the easy part, the front diff is the problem and as of now no one is playing with the front diff.

I have done the 4.56 for the rear 2013 diff , still checking what the best alternative at the front is

#57 ·
I've seen a few places 'shave down' the outside edge of the ring gear to get it fit. It's not the greatest solution but it's far cheaper that swapping out the section of the IFS.

#58 ·
Don't even see how that would be possible

#59 ·
The machine shop mills the outside edge of the ring and some of the pinon down until the R&P will fit inside the axle housing. If this were for the rear axle, I'd say no way but since the front axle only drives one wheel it should be critical.

#60 ·
That issue of the ring gear with aftermarket gears is something the housings from 06 to 09 have at the rear.
Machining that .030 off the tips isn't hurting anything, but i'd rather and do the housing then listen to noise machining the ring
The front of these new trucks they friction welded everything together.
You have to remove the entire front and go to 2005 to 2010, then remove the front yoke and machine the thru hole dimension and the ground hub surface and reuse the front shaft.

#62 ·
Surprised no one has picked one of these up from you yet.

Where are all you guys at that were bitching about gears?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.