DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mobile Audio & Electronics Talk (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Navigation (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5669)

RTDurango 12-16-2002 06:18 PM

Navigation

available on 04 grand cherokee also will be able to retro 02 and up rounded radios with 22 pin connector . and for $1595 how can you go wrong oem look and easy install .in and out in under 30 mins.

RB1 Navigation Radio features

Description: In-dash AM/FM/CD NAV Radio with 4.1" screen. All mapping is on one DVD. Built by Alpine for Mopar. Factory option on 2004 Grand Cherokees. The RB1 Navigation Radio combines multiple technologies to determine the exact location of your vehicle and select the best route to your destination. The screen can be switched between "NAV" mode and "Radio/clock" mode. The unit does not play standard DVD's.

AM/FM Radio/CD/CD-R/CD-RW The radio portion features 30 station presets, 10 each for AM, FM and the Sirius Satellite* Radio system. The radio features a CD changer control for the factory optional 10-disc changer. When not needing the use of the NAV unit, the DVD disc can be removed and an audio CD can be played in the same slot. Special Program Type (PTY) feature allows you to search for FM and Sirius Satellite Radio stations by type of music category, from those stations broadcasting a PTY compatible signal. (*Requires Satellite Radio Service activation). The CD player is compatible with both CD-R and CD-RW discs. The radio or a CD from the changer can be listened to while in the NAV mode.

Operation: First, the navigation system receives location signals from Global Positioning Satellites (GPS) orbiting the earth. At the same time within your vehicle, speed pulse, reverse signal sensors and a gyroscope constantly monitor distance traveled, direction and turn information. Compiling and comparing this data, the Navigation Radio matches your location with the data located on its geographic DVD-ROM, and places your vehicle's location on the map. After inputting the desired destination and routing preferences, the RB1 computes and provides visual routing directions along with voice commands that safely guide you through your trip.

Vehicle applications

Grand Cherokee 2002-2004: The RB1 will plug directly into any model 2002-2004 Grand Cherokee. All steering wheel controls for the radio are retained, and while in the NAV mode will operate functions on the NAV unit. The small flat antenna for the NAV system also needs to be installed. It attaches with the supplied adhesive backing, behind the gauge cluster. Installation directions can be found Here.

Grand Cherokee 1999-2001: It may not be possible to install the RB1 into 1999-2001 WJ's. This is still being researched and so far no one has come up with a definitive answer. Although it's possible to use an adaptor harness to plug in the radio, the PCI wiring is slightly different. This may prevent the use of the factory 10-disc changer, and more importantly the needed MPH/compass readings and other info required for the NAV system operation. It's possible that 2002 and later vehicles have special PCI programming for the RB1.

Other Dodge vehicles: The RB1 will also fit into selected 2002 and later models of the Dodge Caravan, Concorde, Dakota, Durango, Intrepid, Liberty, PT Cruiser, 300M, Ram, Sebring, Stratus, and the Town & Country.

Navigation features:

Address book - Store up to 100 personal locations and phone numbers in the system's memory, and create up to ten customer address book folders.

Coverage - There are currently 2,600 cities in the US that are mapped with detailed coverage. The next updated DVD disc will be released in June, 2003.

Database - Designed and maintained by NAVTECH, a leader in NAV systems technology

GPS clock - With 8 satellites feeding the GPS-based system, you can quickly adjust your clock to the time zone in which you are traveling. Time is also displayed directly on the map along with your estimated time of arrival, or estimated drive time remaining.

In-motion operation - As a special safety feature, the Mopar RB1 Navigation Radio limits the availability of certain navigation tasks while the vehicle is in motion. Programmable options such as editing the personal address book or inputting a destination will be unavailable and grayed out until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. In addition, when in motion, Point of Interest selections are limited: you can only choose from a list of the last 5 POI listings that were entered.

Maneuver list - Allows you to review your trip itinerary before you put your vehicle in gear...so if there's a road in your route that you'd rather avoid, you simply tell the system, and it recalculates a new route.

Mapping your destination - 8 ways:
1. Input the street address
2. Select a point of interest
3. Select a Recent Route (stores up to 10)
4. Select a destination from your address book
5. Input a business phone number
6. Input a trip itinerary (up to 10 can be stored)
7. Input an intersection
8. Use the map cursor to select a location directly from your map display

Map cursor - When taking a trip you can access a map of the location you are visiting. You can move your map cursor to a specific coordinate and, by simply hitting "enter", the system will show an address (or coordinates) for that selected site and create a trip route directly to your final destination...even if it's a thousand miles away.

Map zoom - You can select from 9 different zoom scales to increase or decrease map magnification, from 1/20th of a mile up to 350 mile "birds-eye view".

Orientation - The default orientation is "North" on the top of the display. It can also be set to "follow" mode where the direction you are currently traveling is on top.

Points of Interest function - Select the service or business you'd like to visit from a database containing thousands of addresses. With a few touches of a button, you're mapped and ready to roll. Features over 40 main categories to choose from, including ATM's, Hospitals, government offices, restaurants, gas stations, hotels, grocery stores, auto service stations and more.

Route Guidance - You have the option of viewing a turn-by-turn map, full display map, or a combination of both. Roads are classified from 1-5, with a level 1 road being the highest level road such as a highway or freeway, and a level 5 road, for example, may be a country road in a rural area. Generally, the system will try to direct you to the "highest level" road. When you are on "minimize freeways", the system will try to route you on the most direct streets. The system does not have the capacity to track your movements or memorize your favorite routes.

Routing methods - Quickest Route, Minimize Toll Roads, Maximize Freeways and Minimize Freeways provide unmatched customization.

Route Recalculation (automatic) - If you encounter a detour, miss an exit or make a wrong turn the RB1 adjusts to keep you on track. Should you change course from the directions indicated on the display monitor for any reason, the system can automatically recalculate your position, then select and display a new route.

Screen - The screen can be toggled between the NAV display and the Radio/clock display. The power must be on in order to see the clock display.

Smart Key Filtering - When using the digital keyboard to input information, the system makes educated guesses based on previously entered letter combinations and displays only the characters necessary to input your destination

Trail Function - The RB1 features a program developed specifically for off-road use. You can get longitude, latitude and altitude readings. You can also mark, name and save the location so you can find it again on a later trip. And, if you should really get into the scenery and lose your way, you'll discover the unique program has been dropping "bread crumbs" as you've been making your trail, so backtracking to get to your original trailhead is a breeze! The "bread crumbs" tracking feature works only in the Trail Function mode, and will retain in its memory about 150 miles of traveling.

Trip Itinerary - When multiple stops must be navigated, the RB1 can accept up to 10 locations, and then will create the most efficient route to accommodate all destinations in the shortest amount of time.

Yellow pages - Over 5 million business phone numbers are included on the DVD program.

Update discs - Additional geographic areas are continuously being mapped. With initial purchase of the unit, Jeep will provide a coupon good for one free update disc ($150 value). The coupon must be used within 12 months.

Voice Guidance options - The RB1 not only points the way...but it talks to you! When to turn, and how soon, mile by mile, turn by turn, until you reach your final destination. One of three languages can be selected - English, French-Canadian or Spanish. While in the radio or CD mode, the voice prompt (if activated) will override the radio sound momentarily. The NAV voice volume can be set independently of the radio volume.

You can choose from four voice options:

1. Maximum (two beep tones and voice)
2. Normal (one beep tone and voice prompt)
3. Minimum (tones only, no voice prompt)
4. Off (no tones or voice prompt)

RB1 Specifications:

Manufacturer: Alpine (Alpine Website) / made in Japan
Application: Selected Chrysler 2002 and later model vehicles (w/22-pin radio connector)
Type: Flush mount AM/FM/CD Navigation Radio with CD Changer controls, DVD based
Screen size: Full color 4.1" diagonal (3-3/4" x 1-3/4") (95mm x 45mm)
Screen area: 6.62 square inches (16.81 sq. cm.)
Mounting size: 1.5 DIN (3" H x 5.51" D x 7.87" W) (88.5mm H x 140mm D x 200mm W)
Antenna: Flush mount, inside dash
Bus: J1850 bus specification for NAV information
Tuner: AM/FM tuner for US/Canada markets
AM Frequency Range: 530 kHz~1710kHz
FM Frequency Range: 87.7MHz~107.9MHz
Clock: Auto-set via NAV satellite
Satellite Radio format: Sirius
Navigation satellites: Receives GPS signals from up to 8 satellites to display the position and direction of your vehicle. CD Changer operation: Same 10-pin/8-wire connector as 2002 and later factory radios. Controls any Chrysler external CD changer
CD Audio: Plays CD, CD-R and CD-RW. Not compatible with MP3
Power: 66 watts total power at 3% total harmonic distortion
Weight: 5 lbs, 7 oz.
Shipping weight: 10 lbs. (in original factory carton)
Mopar RB1 package contents: Rb1 radio, NAV antenna, instruction manual, mercury warning sticker, DVD disc, coupon for free update disc, foam strips, basic installation diagram. P/N 56038629AD
Retail price, USA (MSRP): $1595.00 (not including installation)

Satellite Radio Activation

Requires specific vehicle installation kit plus service subscription. No charge for initial activation setup. For 2002 and later model Grand Cherokees the installation kit part # is 82206488AA.

In order to activate the satellite radio, you will need to call the satellite radio service provider and give them an electronic serial number (ESN). This number is located on a special diagnostic screen of the navigation radio. To find this number, follow this procedure:

1. Press the CD/AUX button until the satellite radio mode is activated. Highlight PTY and press CANCEL 2 times.
2. Highlight DISP and press CANCEL 2 times.
3. Highlight SET and press CANCEL 4 times.
4. A diagnostic screen appears. Find the ESN on the screen and write it down.
5. Call the satellite radio service provider (refer to the satellite radio owner’s manual) to activate the system.

RB1 FAQ:

Will the RB1 fit in my car?
See Vehicle applications above for a list of applicable models.

Where does the antenna mount and how large is it?
The antenna is very small and mounts inside the dashboard. On the Grand Cherokee it is installed on a ledge behind the instrument cluster and is totally hidden. The antenna plugs into a special connector on the back of the RB1.

Can I use the navigation software in my computer?
No. This proprietary software is devoted exclusively by Alpine for the sole purpose of navigation.

Can I play movies or other DVD type discs?
No. The RB1 is designed to only read the special DVD-ROM Navigation disc.

Which audio CD formats are supported?
CD, most CD-R (recordable CDs) and most CD-RW (rewriteable CDs). MP3 is NOT supported.

Will the radio or CD still play while using the Navigation functions? Yes, you can play the radio, or CDs from the CD changer while in the Navigation mode. The Navigation DVD-ROM must be in the RB1 disc slot for the Navigation system to function.

When can I get my free upgrade disc?
The next update disc is scheduled to be released in June of 2003. You have one year from original date of RB1 purchase to mail in and redeem the coupon for your free update disc.

What is included on the update disc?
Map and other data is continuously being updated and revised. Update discs will include the latest mapping data, new and revised business listings, as well as additional screens and/or updated features.

Does the RB1 have its own speaker?
No, it works through the vehicle sound system. During voice commands the radio is automatically muted. The volume for the voice commands can be raised or lowered independent of the radio volume, but only during a voice command.

What is the "PTY" radio feature?
PTY stands for "Program Type", a feature allows you to search for stations by type of category (i.e. country, classical, rock, news). When “PTY” is selected and you press the ENTER key, the current category is displayed. Pressing the SEEK button tunes the unit to the next station that broadcasts the chosen program type. Pressing the SCAN button searches the unit for all music categories. Not all radio stations broadcast the PTY signal.

How do I clean the screen?
The screen should be cleaned with a soft dry cloth. A professional camera lens cloth might work best. No liquids should be used.

Additional FAQ's relating to the operation and features of the Navigation Radio can be found in the RB1 owner's manual.

Safety Guidelines

Warning: Please read and follow the following safety precautions before operating the RB1 Navigation Radio. Failure to do so may result in injury or property damage.

Do not operate the product while driving. Always stop the vehicle in a safe location before using the system.
Do not use the navigation system to route you to emergency services such as police and fire stations or hospitals and clinics. Not all emergency service locations are contained in the database. Please use your own judgment and ask for directions in such situations.
Glance at the screen only when necessary and safe to do so. If prolonged viewing of the screen is necessary, pull over at a safe location.
Road conditions and regulations take precedence over information contained on the map display. Observe actual traffic restrictions and circumstances while driving.
Stop use immediately if a problem occurs. Failure to do so may cause injury or damage to the product. Return it to your authorized DaimlerChrysler dealer for repair.
Do not place fingers or foreign objects into the CD/DVDROM insertion slot. Doing so may result in injury or damage to the product.
Always check the CD player for discs before inserting another disc. Failure to do so may cause damage to the system.
There may be situations where the navigation system erroneously displays the vehicle's location. Use your own driving judgment in this situation, taking into account current driving conditions. Please be aware that in this situation the navigation system should automatically correct the vehicle's position within a few minutes.
Take care when removing a disc from the CD player. The disc might be hot.
Make certain that the volume level of the monitor is set to a level that still allows you to hear outside traffic and emergency vehicles.
The map database is designed to provide you with route suggestions and does not take into account the relative safety of a suggested route or of factors that may affect the time required to reach your destination. The system does not reflect road closures or construction, road characteristics (i.e. type of road surface, slope or grade, weight or height restrictions, etc.), traffic congestion, weather conditions, or any other factors that may affect the safety or timing of your driving experience. Use your own personal judgment if the navigation system is unable to provide you with an alternate route.

christian 12-16-2002 07:22 PM

I'd rather spend only $295 and get the GPS (voice activated and all the other good stuff in the software) add-on to my Compaq IPAQ pocket PC. Then, when I trade my vehicle, I still have my working GPS that not only goes wherever I go (by land, air, sea, walking, bike riding, etcetera) but also follows me out of the truck and into my newer one without any professional installation.

These sort of units look great; I'm sure they perform well; but I just can't justify the high $ for something that will need to be replaced if I've come to depend upon it when I get my next vehicle... oh, if I go in my friend's truck or in my wife's car - guess what - yep, my Compaq IPAQ pocket PC will work with me there too! :WHT:

nvus111 12-17-2002 02:16 PM

I've got the Garmin GPS V. I can take it with me in any vehicle I want and it works everywhere in the world on AA batteries if I want .

I've got the dash mount kit, and the soft beanbag for travel (in rental cars or my wife's car).

I think I only paid about $500 for it. A much better deal, and I got annoyed with the voice system ("Right turn in 300 feet!"). A simple beep to remind me it is about time to turn is all I need or want!

(Color might be nice, though)

chant74 12-17-2002 03:13 PM

I agree with Christian, I also use my Ipaq to navigate, and it's totally portable, driving of boating or just walking around.
Much cheaper... and 100% upgradeable.

Helevitia 05-17-2004 01:27 PM

I think you should have added another option in the poll. I am not willing to pay retail for anything and the install is so easy anyone can do it. Now if you had an option that said, "Would you be willing to pay $1000 and install it yourself", that is the option I would have picked. Actually, that is what I did. :)

As for the PDA versions, they cannot compare to the 5GB of data that the RB1 holds. Also, the cost of the Compaq+the GPS software = $500-$800, which is getting close to the RB1 which is superior in many ways. That is my 2 cents. It also depends on your needs though. For instance, if you do a lot of camping, hiking, outdoor things, then having a portable might make more sense.

And last, I have used both a portable(just to try it out from a friend) and the feature set on the RB1 blows it away.

Dave

Helevitia 05-17-2004 01:33 PM

haha, I just realized this post is 2 years old. Wonder why it was brought back up and how? So my comments might not make sense compared to the older comments.

Dave

Gentleman 06-04-2004 08:54 AM

Bought one for half that price and installed it myself

Bob

harm 09-28-2004 12:28 PM

My Kenwood system: Navigation, DVD, MP3, WMA, CD, 6,5 Inch touchscreen,

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2631

jeepguy_1980 03-14-2005 07:36 PM

Who keeps bringing these old posts back?

RTDurango 03-15-2005 12:15 AM

Votes will bring it back to the top even without a post

Hemi Mayor 05-07-2005 08:10 AM

If you know how to get ob to Doge Talk, then you can get on Ebay. You can buy an RB1 there for $800 and it takes 10 minutes to install.

No place on your poll for that one.

EDN 08-01-2005 01:23 PM

Anybody seen the Eclipse AVN5435 Navigation in a Ram?

Hello all fellow Dodge Owners.

This is an awsome site, and I'm interested in as many high-tech niceties (i.e. accessories) I can find to spruce up my RAM, so post all your pics.

I'm buying the Eclipse AVN5435 in-dash CD/DVD/Navigation/Sirius unit, and I can't find One Pic on the internet that shows how this might look in my RAM. If anyone runs accross one, please post. I don't want just anyone doing the install. If I can find or buy a dash template somewhere, that would be great!

Thanks!
EDN

Magnum-Mike 08-03-2005 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDN
Hello all fellow Dodge Owners.

This is an awsome site, and I'm interested in as many high-tech niceties (i.e. accessories) I can find to spruce up my RAM, so post all your pics.

I'm buying the Eclipse AVN5435 in-dash CD/DVD/Navigation/Sirius unit, and I can't find One Pic on the internet that shows how this might look in my RAM. If anyone runs accross one, please post. I don't want just anyone doing the install. If I can find or buy a dash template somewhere, that would be great!

Thanks!
EDN

I sell the Eclipse unit you are buying and it is a great unit, but it's double din in size. If I'm not mistaken the radio in you're truck is 1 1/2 din unless I'm not remembering it correctly. If that's the case it will take quite a bit of work to get it in your dash and looking good. Post a pic of your radio and I can give you better advice.

jeepguy_1980 08-03-2005 09:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum-Mike
I sell the Eclipse unit you are buying and it is a great unit, but it's double din in size. If I'm not mistaken the radio in you're truck is 1 1/2 din unless I'm not remembering it correctly. If that's the case it will take quite a bit of work to get it in your dash and looking good. Post a pic of your radio and I can give you better advice.

It can be done

EDN 08-04-2005 08:47 AM

That is S-H-A-R-P!!!. I'd like to send these pics to the installer. Where can I get that silver face?" This is the very look I'm trying to accomplish!! Thanks for the pic!

EDN

jeepguy_1980 08-04-2005 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDN
That is S-H-A-R-P!!!. I'd like to send these pics to the installer. Where can I get that silver face?" This is the very look I'm trying to accomplish!! Thanks for the pic!

EDN

I have considered an install like this myself. What I would do is buy an extra bezel on ebay and trim it to fit my radio. Then sand and smooth the edges and fill them in if necessary. Then send the bezel to www.phoenix-image.com and they can put any finish you want on it, i.e. wood grain, brushed aluminum, solid colors, etc...