DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Nitro (07 - 11) Forum (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=255)
-   -   U-connect (http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125499)

TorqueHead 10-24-2006 10:33 AM

U-connect

Ok -

Anybody have any experience yet with U-connect hands free for Blue Tooth equipped phones? When I bought my Nitro, it has the buttons installed right on the radio. I tried to pair my Razor phone to it, but could not get it to recognize the phone. When the radio was on and I tried, it said "U-Connect Not Availble" on the display. I thought it was a programming issue, so I took it back to the dealer. They tried to program it so it would recognize U-Connect but they kept getting communication errors.

It turns out that Chrysler is claiming that every Nitro is supplied "U-Connect Ready" - the electronics to run it were not included. I think it was misleading the way the vehicle was supplied, and I thought I had it when I purchased the Nitro. I have been waiting 2 weeks so far as the dealer is waiting for the district to get some answers.

There apparently is a dealer installed kit that includes a microphone in the rear-view mirror, but no word on whether it is available yet, pricing, or anything. I am starting to get a little steamed after I upgraded my phone for $150 to use it!
:VHOT:

SRTpusher 10-24-2006 05:03 PM

you didn't ask for the salesperson to demonstrate it? when you are making a purchase i would never assume anything is on a vehicle. actually when we got our first nitro in stock, i too thought it had uconnect - until i pushed the button 2 sec later.

also i am trying to find out if there is a kit that will be put out to utilize the factory radio buttons. as soon as i find it, i will post up

TorqueHead 10-24-2006 06:01 PM

Ok

Thanks for the fatherly advice, however, I had a different phone that was NOT Blue Tooth enabled. The salesman did demonstate it and stated "if you had blue tooth in your phone, it would work like this..."

and gee, it probably says more in the literature THAT WAS NOT AVAILABLE AT THE TIME THE NITRO WAS ON THE LOT. Yes, I could have have waited until the second model year, but I understood there were some risks.

I am pissed because it has been two weeks since asking the dealer what is going on and how much the rest of the kit would run and NO ONE HAS ANY INFO on pricing or availability yet.

Is that what you call field testing?

trikertwo 10-25-2006 09:45 AM

Here is the scoop. I have called the U-Connect/Chrysler hotline number and this is what I was told. The U-Connect system is being shipped with the integrated radios INCOMPLETE! There will be a TSB in the future, but no ETA on when that will be available to get it working. So for now, all you have is a fancy button with a U-Connect logo that when pressed says U-Connect not available. I have been scouring the TSB's posted and haven't found one yet, if I see one I will let everyone know ASAP.

TorqueHead 10-25-2006 10:17 AM

Thank You!

Now that is solid - I can see with a new model that parts inventories get stretched as they scramble to get the vehicles to the dealers, but it puts everyone in the dark when Dodge mums up.

I guarantee you that no one at my dealership is aware of this. Any updates you hear, I would love to see your posts!

Thank you

SRTpusher 10-26-2006 02:25 AM

when i doubt, ask Dr. Z :D

Quote:

Dear Fred:

Thanks for contacting Dr.Z. Your message has been forwarded to us for
response.

Thank you for your email regarding the 2007 Dodge Nitro.

The controls for the factory radio to control the uConnect Hands-Free
Communication System can only be accessed if the uConnect is purchased
as a factory option. The uConnect Hands-Free Communication System is
available from Mopar for the majority of Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep
vehicles, however, as you stated this system is controlled differently
than the factory-installed uConnect utilizing a separate module.
dodge did not send anything "incomplete". the dealer has to order UConnect on the buildsheet in order for it to utilize the radio UConnect controls. you will see on your window sticker that no where does it say UConnect.

every nitro we have that had UConnect ordered from the factory is FULLY OPERATIONAL. the only ones that the buttons say UConnect unavailable are the ones that were not ordered with UConnect.

HOPEFULLY in the future, someone will figure out a way to get these buttons to work.

trikertwo 10-26-2006 01:30 PM

I beg to differ, they are not all fully operational. I have personally seen 2 Nitro's with the U-Connect option, from the factory, included on the Monroney sticker, that do not have U-connect enabled. They have the button, but U-Connect does not work. When the button is pressed to activate/set-up the U-Connect in the vehicle it only displays U-Connect not available. That is why I called the Chrysler/U-Connect hotline and that is where they told me that the U-Connect system that is integrated into the radio in the dash, not the Mopar add-on, or the U-Connect mounted in the mirror, was shipped prior to it being fully integrated into the radio and that there would be a TSB in the near future. I am not disputing that some out there may function properly. But given that I have seen 2, and we have another DT member here that is having issues, I would submit that this is the case in some of them. Either way, some do not work, regardless of the reason, and there needs to be a fix for it, as well as the fact that they never should have been sent from the factory unfinished. At least that is my opinion on the matter. If I find out any more information I will let everyone know on my end.

TorqueHead 11-11-2006 09:56 AM

My dealership tells me that the dealer installed kit will not be available until next year, and has still not been able to determine a price.

Has anybody else heard anything to support or contradict this?

steve brittain 11-12-2006 02:58 PM

Are you talking about a u-connect installed at the factory or the dealer at a later time? I have been told the dealer installed unit is not the same as the factory install. It is available from the factory though. I ordered my nitro a week ago from the factory and it will have the u-connect.

TorqueHead 11-13-2006 09:23 AM

I am referring to the dealer installed unit. I thought I was getting the factory installed version, but that was not the case. I bought my Nitro out of dealer stock and while I was told that my vehicle had it, that was not the case. At this point, I think my only option is to wait until the dealership gets the kit in - I cannot return it to Toledo for factory install.

If a third party supplier was making them right now, I might have more options, but I do not know of anyone making a unit like this right now.

SRTpusher 11-14-2006 10:14 AM

TorqueHead 11-14-2006 11:25 AM

Hey - Thank you SRT pusher!

That is a good review and looks like a workable solution. It is not quite as clean as the U-connect, but there are enough places to mount the small receiver where it would not be too intrusive and still easy to get to.

I think I may go this way rather than wait for the Dodge unit.

zoso 11-15-2006 11:14 AM

Another option is the Myron & Davis BT700. You can purchase it with a vehicle specific harness that saves you from having to cut wires. Simply plug the stock harness into the Myron & Davis harness, then the Myron & Davis harness into the headunit and the BT700 and everything is good to go.

I have one installed in my Mazda 3 and it works well. Will be purchasing a second one for my Durango soon/

ksignorini 12-15-2006 08:03 PM

I bought mine with the U-Connect option included.

It works great! I use it every day.

Kent!

drvette 12-19-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueHead
I am referring to the dealer installed unit. I thought I was getting the factory installed version, but that was not the case. I bought my Nitro out of dealer stock and while I was told that my vehicle had it, that was not the case. At this point, I think my only option is to wait until the dealership gets the kit in - I cannot return it to Toledo for factory install.

If a third party supplier was making them right now, I might have more options, but I do not know of anyone making a unit like this right now.

I was also told by the salesperson that my Nitro was equipped with U-Connect but when I got the vehicle home the radio controls did not work. According to the manual you have to have a special rear view mirror with microphones.

I am going to demand answers from the dealer.

If there is going to be a third party supplier I WANT it to work with the radio controls provided and I want it installed by the dealer.

Gentleman 12-19-2006 09:39 AM

AirJunky 01-02-2007 02:50 PM

I see quite a few Uconnect modules being sold on Ebay for numerous Chrysler & Dodge cars & trucks. My dealer tells me they will be available for the Nitro at some point too. Crossing my fingers that he's not blowing steam again.

trikertwo 01-03-2007 05:49 PM

:dwave: U-Connect kit for the Nitro has part number: 82210083 However, they are still not available for order. But with a part number, we are one step closer! Also the list on it is $299 for those that want to know the cost.

TorqueHead 01-23-2007 04:32 PM

Its Here - Finally

I have not been able to update this thread for a while, but my dealer DID call me back last week and told me that they had received a unit if I was still interested. The part number listed above is correct 82210083. The unit consists of a black box that mounts behind the glove box, a very intimidating wiring harness with plugs on 3 ends, and a small micophone. The wiring harness seems to be the difference in the kit between the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Voyager, etc. There are different ways to plug the harness in depending if you have Sirius radio installed or not. The dash radio bezel has to come off for you to have enough space to make the connections. I would not have wanted to try installing it on my own, plus, the dealer must program the Nitro to recognize the Uconnect unit. Due to that fact, I do not know how feasible it would be to try to buy a kit off e-bay or do some sort of a work around.

It took the dealer about three hours to install. It was the first Nitro they installed, but the technician said the kit went in like any other Dodge that has this option available. The unit paired right up to my phone and seems to work well. What I like is that there is no visible controls other than the two buttons on the radio, and the very small microphone that attaches to the A piller next to the visor. It is very unobtrusive and you barely notice it is there.

Dealer did give me a little break on price for the hassle, so I am satisfied that this is resolved. If you are looking for this unit, you might try the dealer again, as the kit must be just hitting the pipeline.

out

SRTpusher 02-06-2007 10:39 AM

sweet.... i just was gonna come post about this... you all beat me too it :)