DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2000 Stratus, Heater Box?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rkfsm 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus and was recently told by the dealer that my A/C is not blowing cold air due to a cracked heater box. The heat works just fine. I was also told it would cost $1000 to fix it :VHOT: ! Of course I told them to forget it. I have been doing some research online and am trying to figure out if the heater box and heater core the same thing? Also if someone can give me some advice as to how much this part costs and any other information that would be great. Of course I am a woman and have no clue! Thank you for your time. :help:

#2 ·
heater box and heater core are the same thing just a different name. Does the fan blow on all fan speeds? I dont have a 2000 so I'm not sure whats involved in a heater core changeout

#3 ·
Its funny that you asked me that because just recently it was only blowing out if it was turned all the way up. I just had some work done at the dealer that was under extended warranty and they told me they had to replace the blower motor and thats why it was only blowing out if it was turned on high but according to them the a/c problem comes from a cracked heater box that is not under warranty. I did try the a/c just for the heck of it after they replaced the blower motor and it still does not work. Thank you so much for you help.

#5 ·
i think that she/you should first check to see if your compressor is turning on when you turn on the a/c. if the compressor isn't turning on then it could be a series of things.
The a/c wasn't working in my 96 stratus and it was holding pressure fine and it ended up being a sensor on the high pressure end of the a/c line.
also if the compressor isn't turning on then it might be a leak in the system like lb3711 said, and quite possibly be near or at the heater core/box.

#7 ·
Blower motor resistor. It's an incredibly common problem. Easy to replace with one each phillips and flatblade screw driver and a socket set, and it only costs about $20 for the part. If you need instructions/diagrams/pictures/schematics, let me know. The hardest part is finding someplace to put all the stuff in your glove box while you do this.

RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.