DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My 1999 Ram V10 to 1994 Cummins 12 Valve Swap Thread

40K views 75 replies 10 participants last post by  95_RAM_2500 
#1 ·
Yes,
The bug has finally bitten hard enough and I started searching for donor trucks or possible trucks to try and trade with. My only problem is I love my truck, its my dream truck minus being a V10 (which is an awesome motor). But I "settled" when I bought this truck because I wanted the diesel all along. I also didn't want to get rid of my truck because its in great shape, I've done a good amount of work to it already, and didn't want to spend a ton to trade towards a diesel PLUS many that I've found for a decent price all had a TON of miles.

My solution? I found a parts truck nearby going for very cheap money. Guy used some parts he needed and wanted to sell the rest. I convinced the wife to allow me to do it, she gave me the green light so tomorrow I'm heading down to pick it up (pics to follow of course).

This thread will detail my swap and how it all goes. I've been reading for months and most threads just die off - this thread will detail as much as possible for diesel noob's out there since I am one, and I will report how everything works at the end and how I got there.

The donor is a 1994 2500 Cummins Auto. I will be parting it out afterwards and scrapping the rest. Obviously I'll be selling my V10 engine once its out and depending on the gear ratios in the Cummins I may be swapping those as well.

My plans are to use the V10 computer and sensors on the Cummins. I may talk with my tech at work and see if he thinks he can flash my V10 computer to a 98 12Valve computer to get things working even better.

Questions/Comments?

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh yeah, I also bought an adjustable 3rd Gen Style Track Bar from Spohn Industries (I believe that is their name). Was a great deal at $330 from Ebay. I'll be getting that in the truck as well.

#5 ·
Thanks guys,
Got the trailer hooked up and heading to pick it up in a few hours. I'll have some pics posted on Monday unless I can find a way to do it from my phone.

#6 ·
Looking forward to it all!

#7 ·
Any idea how much for you v10 ill be the first but not the last to ask????

#8 ·
I'm selling the V10 for $250. Everything will be priced to move because my wife doesn't want the parts truck here long.

I literally just got back from picking up the truck. I plan on tinkering with it tomorrow and trying to get a game plan set up.

On another not, I'm buying a steering box stabilizer and returning this steering box. Hopefully the fenco replacement won't bind like this one has been. The truck was borderline dangerous today towing it back and we plan on camping next weekend. Hopefully a new box, track bar, and steering stabilizer will tighten it up.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Just had to 1up me didn't you.

#11 · (Edited)
spun it looks like a nice solid unit and so far ism blown away with their service. within 5 minutes of winning the auction and paying someone emailed me personally to verify the color i wanted. then 10 minutes later i got the shipping notification. very happy so far.

sorry about the one up. i kinda fell into this one LOL!

Typing from my phone sorry for the spelling

#12 ·
i live close enough to them to go look at the assembly plant. havent yet! there control arm are like no others. REALLY BEEFY!

#15 ·
I live in Maine, I just spent $75 or so on replacing the thermostat and plugs on it. Runs like a top and honestly I wouldn't bother removing it unless I hadn't found this donor truck.

Sorry for not much progress, but I spent the weekend getting my camper ready for this coming memorial day weekend. I resealed the roof and re-painted it with liquid rubber. Now I need do track down some wiring problems because the brake lights are on the fritz.

#16 ·
Hmm...I don't know how it would work I neex one but your way far away I wonder if anyone would ship it

#17 ·
My buddy is doing this with his V10 I am going to snap up the motor for helping for cheep. I am getting everything with it. He also has a Durango with a blown motor for 1000 I am gonna combine the two for a fun truck.

#18 ·
Yes I could certainly get it shipped to you on a pallet, just will probably cost a bit.

Once again not much progress - this week is full of getting things ready for camping. I hooked up the water feed to the camper and found the valve on the toilet was leaking, $30 later and I had that fixed yesterday, along with a broken door knob.

I am SUPER PISSED because my nice new Track Bar arrived yesterday and when I attempted to get it mounted up (just holding it in place) my Plow Frame is completely in the way. I can't upgrade to the 3rd gen style track bar which sucks. This thing is VERY VERY NICE and I'm very upset I can't use it because I can tell it would've solved my issues. Now I'm stuck with the crappy stock design/moog "upgrade".

Also sucks that I have to pay shipping to send it back but thats not their fault. Regardless I definitely recommend Spohn Performance for a Track Bar, its built very very well, and their customer service is amazing!

#21 ·
what is it about the track bar system that dont fit. is it the bar or the bracket?

#19 ·
So when do we get pics?

:postpics:

#20 ·
That is getting thrown around quite allot but don't worry I want pics too.

#22 ·
Well when the time comes and she is out we will talk about shipping and all till then good luck on the swap and keep us posted

#24 ·
Oh yeah, I also picked up a steering box brace and a Moog track bar. I'm going to remove my "new" steering box (made by Fenco from Advance Auto Parts) and return it for another to hopefully get rid of my binding issue's tonight.

I'll try to snap pics for you guys.

#25 ·
Tell me if these pics show up, they are from the sellers post:

#26 ·
WOO HOOO sorry for the multiple posts but I just scored a 1998 PCM for a great deal, this all coming together perfectly!

Now if I can find some gauges this thing will look and run like it came from the factory!

#29 ·
Find a wiring diagram for the years around that and check and see if they are the same pinouts for the PCM. I guarantee there's a few years that are the same.

#30 ·
No need to swap axles the V10 and Cumming use same set up.

#31 ·
I really want to swap out my 1500 axles, but apparently I will need to weld in new spring pockets. Otherwise front is a bolt-in. Might have to bring it to a shop with a 220 welder to have them do that, then just bolt everything up.

What ratio were the 2500/3500 axles from factory?

#37 ·
http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/x4hando9498rf2b.htm
i want to suggest shackles from here. bolt on! pop the rivets out and use the holes for grade 8 bolts. just buy the 3" wide for the 2500 truck. with a 2" lift system you could eliminate the rear block= less leaf wrap when you kit the skinny pettle. less need for ladder bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.