DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinding noise entering reverse

19K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Electricsand 
#1 ·
I have an 07 1500 big horn 4X4 with the 5.7L Hemi. Only after the truck has been driven and is nice and warm, when i put the truck into reverse a grinding like noise is coming out of the transmission or the transfer case. the noise was not there when i bought the truck, but it is now and is getting worse. the noise lasts between 1-2 seconds. i am getting the round about from the dealer saying there is nothing wrong. Then why is it getting worse i asked, no anwser. if anyone could please help me out with this one, it would be great.
Thanks

#3 ·
Sounds like your solenoids chattering, you just didn't notice it before.
I didn't notice it in mine for a while either but it's normal.

It does it when you go from reverse to drive too.

#4 ·
is it a grinding, chattering or rattling, ususally, a chatter is the heat shield a rattle is something broken, and a grinding is somthing rubbing USUALLY being the key word, rattle and chatter are often confused when listening to a sound, a chatter is something that shifts in and out of its place , a rattle something has moved free and its movind areound, but if it does not do it when driving then its fine, the transmition, in an auto has to select the gear on its own,(use the clutch on its own) so the grinding for 1-2 seconds is ok unless you are low an tranny fluid or you have broken a snap ring and then you have a problem

#5 ·
Mine makes more of a squeel going into gear, like when brake pads rub against the calipers when they are lightly grabbing. It also takes along time to go into gear like the converter is draining faster then it should. I can turn the truck off, then 5 min later start it back up and it takes a few seconds to engage, longer then it should. Tranny was replaced by the dealer at 5k and has never been the same. They said nothing wrong and flashed it, still the same. Can't find anyone with the same issue so I am just living with it.

#6 ·
my hemi makes a sort of grinding noise while switching into reverse also. I had a new tranny at 22k and now with 34k I am hearing this. It sound almost like something i trying to slip into the right hole or almost like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke, lol. I checked my fluid and it is good but I do notice some fluid "leaking" around the back of the pain only. Theres no definite leak but more of an oily condensation. But the truck drives and operates fine. I hate these damn trannies, but I love the HEMI!

#7 ·
The heat shields always make noise when I back my truck up. Granted, mines a stick; but when I back up at low RPM, especially just after I let the clutch up and it bogs a little, it always does it.

#8 ·
I have the same issue. I have been to 4 dealers to have it checked out. They all tell me this is how the "new tranny" works. He said all of the trucks on the lot make that sound. So i had them make a note in their system that this is what they told me and they can replace the tranny when it goes out. In or out of warranty. Not my problem, i tried.

#12 ·
Hmmmm...im Edge'd as well. Bought my Edge around 12k, ran this piss out of my truck, new tranny (under warranty) at 22k, now its making the same noise it did before it went out. Wonder if its an Edge thing?? I always run my on level 4 (extreme) on 93 octane.

#13 ·
I run the same level. But in defense to edge....i was having this grinding off the lot. I called down again and again got the same explanation. But this guy told me its because of the "cardboard" (in between the clutch plates?) that is part of the new trannys. I dont know about you guys....but i dont think they are making trannys out of cardboard!!! I have 1 year left on my warranty. So if anything ill drie it like hell and try to get something to go and get a new one.

#14 ·
It is not an edge thing, I got stuck in the sand and got the fluid real hot and then did some 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs a few weeks later not knowing the fluid was toast and the tranny burned up. Not edges fault, I blame myself and the poor excuse for a tranny Dodge put in these awsome trucks. I would love to mate up an Allison tranny from a Chevy Duramax to my truck and never worry again.

#15 ·
Amen to that!!:thatfunny:thatfunny:thatfunny
The only other truck I would own besides mine would be an 06 or newer duramax with the allison tranny, talk about bulletproof!

So, according to the popular majority, should I just go to the dealer and ave them make a note of my beatiful little sound?? that way when it goes (cuz i'm sure it will, again!), I can have them fix it under warranty? I have the lifetime so its not really an issue, just a PITA to be without my truck all the time.

#16 ·
if they are making notes for you in the system, make sure you get a copy of said note with Service managers signature date and anything else you can think of... otherwise they can always say oh... not seeing what you are talking about... claim denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.