DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1994 1500 318 - Rough Idle, part-throttle hesitation

15K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  bigaaron 
#1 ·
Ok guys and gals, got some things stumping me with my new (to me) Ram... 318 with 188k is having some issues with idle, rpm's drop slowly while sitting at stop light, etc, throw it in neutral, and engine revs to 1500, then drop to normal and starts to fall again... drop in drive, revs up, then drops... so on and so on... if i let it go, it will die, but start right back up...

Problem #2 - at part throttle, while accelerating, engine will miss and "knock" but works fine at wot...

That said, these problems are not always there... some days, runs fine all day...

Thanks!!

#6 ·
Could also be a Throttle Positioning sensor. Could be plugged injectors, fouled plugs, spark plug wiring or rotor and cap going bad. It's one of those problems that can be caused by many things. The fact that it doesn't do it all the time simply means that the PCM is making adjustments to keep the engine running. Or you could have a gremlin just messing with ya. ;)

#7 ·
My thoughts-
Mass air flow sensor or dirty air filter.
Or the EGR valve is stuck.
I have the same year truck and engine.
Good Luck!

#8 ·
cartmania,I had the same problems your having,I changed the plugs then cleaned the iac.that didn't cure it,went under and unplugged the down stream o2 sensor in the cat.she runs great now but the cel is still on,will replace the o2 when I get a few bucks.just a thought you may try.hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.