DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeaky Suspension!!!!

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ethanwatters85 
#1 ·
I have a 01' dakota 4.7 V8 with about 69K miles and i need some serious help or advice. Every bump or just uneven paved roads makes my front end squeak nasty and its about to drive me crazy. Im pretty sure i just need to get new shocks and struts, but how much you think that will cost me. DOnt need the best, but some good ones. Or does anyone know some ghetto remedies that i could do to just reduce the SQUEAK!?

#2 ·
The source of squeek in the front suspension can be almost everything, like you I had the car squeeking like crazy whenever I went round a turn. In order of what's easiest to replace I replaced sway bar bushings, shocks, upper-ball joints and lower ball joints. I haven't replaced the control arm bushings simply because I can't find anywhere that sells them. My squeek problem is pretty much gone. An easy cost-free job is just to remove the sway bar, clean and grease the bushings and then reinstall. That might help. Shocks should probably be next on your list. Oh and ball-joints if you've never done them.

#4 ·
for the "ghetto remedy" i would get some white lithium grease in a spray can, attach the "straw thingy" to the sprayer so you can pinpoint where you want it and go around and hit all the bushings, joints or anything else that moves.

I did this on my 01 Dakota just before going on a road trip, didn't have time to correctly replace anything, also didn't want it to cut into my vacation $.... This cured it long enough that I forgot about it and then it was sold....

#5 ·
DAblueQuad said:
for the "ghetto remedy" i would get some white lithium grease in a spray can, attach the "straw thingy" to the sprayer so you can pinpoint where you want it and go around and hit all the bushings, joints or anything else that moves.

I did this on my 01 Dakota just before going on a road trip, didn't have time to correctly replace anything, also didn't want it to cut into my vacation $.... This cured it long enough that I forgot about it and then it was sold....

yup! some WD-40 or some silicone will do wonders....for a while..

or do only a few parts first to see if it fixes it. if it doesn't then try another bushing or something. when you find it, replace it..

#6 ·
on my '04 it turned out to be the swaybar bushings.

Next time i'm gonna get the Energy Suspension kit....this last time wound up having it done at a shop, since i was short of time!

#8 ·
I had Bad front end squeaking, and it was Balljoints at about 75K miles. I replaced them with Moog Balljoints, then had to replace those again under warranty at about 120K. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.