DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2001 2.7 Intrepid Starting Problem

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mrdre37 
#1 ·
2001 Intrepid Starting Problem. This is a 2.7 litre engined a/c car with most common power options. The car has run great since new. LATELY IT STARTED DOING SOMETHING STRANGE WHEN I TRY TO START IT. I turn the key and nothing happens. Initially it eems like a dead battery but all the dash lights etc come on and work fine. It is a good battery and the terminals are all clean and I can find nothing wrong with the electrical system. If I turn the key off and try to restart it again it usually starts perfectly. It went this way for a while and now sometimes it takes three, four, five, six or more cycles of the key to get the thing to turn over and start. I had the starter off and checked the starter and starter selenoid. They tested just fine and always worked first time on the bench. I have had a number of bad starter selenoid problems on other cars and boats over the past 40 years and this sure does not act like a bad selenoid. I also replaced the small multi-pinned starter relay in the under hood fuse panel and still no change. My question is this: "Is there some secondary or second switch someplace in the steering column that may be going?" When you turn the key on the steering column what actually happens to transfer the twisting mechanical action of turning the ignition key to transfer this into an electrical signal to the starter relay and to the starter selenoid. I am unable to find out what actually sends the electrical signal to the starter relay and then on to the selenoid and starter. Can someone please clue me in regarding how this system works? Is there a switch somewhere in the steering column that could be going bad on me? Any comments and / or suggestions will be appreciated :):)

John

See less See more
#2 ·
The ignition switch which is in the steering column mounted to the key cylinder sends a signal to the BCM which activates the starter relay and the starter. The park/neutral safety switch or ignition switch could cause what you describe.

#3 ·
Hey, I don't know if you are still looking for answer but if you go to your public library they might have access to Mitchells on demand wich is a mechanic website. It's free for me here in California. It can't be accessed from home. You have to actually go into the library and it's under their articles and databases on their computers that you use to search for books. Not the ones that you use for the internet. If its available you can download wiring diagrams and all the information to diagnose your issue. Anyway, Good luck.

#5 ·
My problem turned out to be in the electrical part of the ignition switch. Not at the key end though.

The key is on the right side of the column. It turns a metal bar / actuator. This metal bar / actuator runs through the lower side of the steering column just ahead of the airbag and steering wheel. On the left side of the steering wheel just above the tilt wheel lever is the actual electrical ignition switch.

My problem turned out to be inside the actual electrical ignition swith on the left side of the steering column.

The switch for 2000 - 2001 intrepid is $81.00 from the dealer in Canada. You have to pull the steering wheel to change the electrical ignition switch.

I have not changed mine yet.

For a temporary get by fix I removed the steering colum shroud / cover and exposed the swittch. Whenever the switch will not start the car I just tap the plastic case with my finger or a small scew driver and the switch will work fine for a while.

This is a mickey mouse way to run a car but I have not had the time to pull the airbag and steering wheel.

I think the real problem is that the metal bar / actuator that starts / begins at the key end is not rotating the electrical ignition switch at the other side of the column far enough to make electrical contact within the switch.

I have loosened the switch and reoriented it and the problem is much better. I still do have to tap the switch from time to time to overcome intermittent no-starts.

I hope this helps you.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.