DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOAT Coolant, where is it?

41K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  WkndDrnk 
#1 ·
Alright, Ive been trying to find this stuff and its just not happening. Ive been to my local parts stores and they all look at me funny when I tell them what I need. So I stopped by the dealership to see how much it is. The dealership wants $14 a gallon and Ill need 2 gallons. I can suck it up and pay the $30 for it but I'm frugal, not cheap, and want to save a few bucks. Does anyone know of any place that may carry it besides biggies like Advance, AutoZone, or Pepboys? Has anyone else had a hard time finding this stuff? I'm sure more that likely Ill be buying it from the dealership from what Ive been reading in past threads.

#2 ·
I was curious because I figured you could get it so I did a web search and all I came up with was LAWSUITS against GM over Dex-Cool. I found a quote (and then lost it, sorry) that said that the parts stores had pulled it off the shelves because it caused corrosion. YIKES! Most of the stories were from 2003-2004. Does anybody know if this has been resolved?

Clay

#4 ·
Actually, GM claims it was because the owners didn't keep the radiator full and it basically boiled down to sludge. The suits claim that GM said it was good for 150k miles so the owners shouldn't of had to worry about it.

#5 ·
Zerex makes a HOAT coolant but I cant seem to find anywhere that sells it. But your right about the corrosion. Mixing coolants will do that to a system. Bad juju there. Anymore info guys?

#6 ·
Hey My Truck came from the dealer a little low on antifreeze so i Put in some "Orange" coolant (The 150,000 mile Prestone stuff). I dont need to drain my entire radiator do I. Will it hurt it. Sorry to Hijack your thread readingt stuff like this always makes me think Ive done something wrong

#7 ·
WkndDrnk said:
Alright, Ive been trying to find this stuff and its just not happening. Ive been to my local parts stores and they all look at me funny when I tell them what I need. So I stopped by the dealership to see how much it is. The dealership wants $14 a gallon and Ill need 2 gallons. I can suck it up and pay the $30 for it but I'm frugal, not cheap, and want to save a few bucks. Does anyone know of any place that may carry it besides biggies like Advance, AutoZone, or Pepboys? Has anyone else had a hard time finding this stuff? I'm sure more that likely Ill be buying it from the dealership from what Ive been reading in past threads.
I nicked my radiator core with the cooling fan while removing it far a dragstrip day and had to have the core fixed. I needed some antifreeze and I asked the owner of the radiator shop where to get it from. He said he also had a 2004 Ram and suggested that I get it from the dealer as it's almost impossible to find else where. Sorry, think of the $30.00 as cheap insurance. That's what I did.

#8 ·
I asked the mechanic at the dealership about adding the long life coolant that some brands put out besides the DEX-COOL. He was very adiment about NOT adding any other coolant besides the HOAT coolant to a HOAT coolant filled system. If I were you, Id talk to a mechanic at the dealership where you bought it. From everything Ive been told and reading about, its not good.

#9 ·
According to the Prestone site:

Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is recommended and formulated for use in all GM vehicles that require a GM DEX-COOL® approved formula coolant, as well as all other cars and light-duty trucks with aluminum radiators. This patented formula has a concentrated blend of premium, long-lasting inhibitors for extended performance, protecting against temperature extremes and the ravages of rust and corrosion for 5 years or 150,000 miles.

Mixing them is probably not the best idea, but none of the lawsuits where they had problems mentioned anything about mixing, only that the owner had let the coolant level drop. I wouldn't lose sleep over it if you keep it topped off.

Clay

#10 ·
hmm I added only to the Resevoir about 4 weeks ago. I think ill just drain the resovoir and put the HOAT coolant in. I just added about a quart of prestone So im hoping it hasnt hurt it.

#11 ·
I wasnt tryin to scare anyone. Just passing along what I was told by the mechanic there at the dealership. Personally, I like to change out my coolant every 2-3 years to keep it fresh and the system in shape. But as always, if you notice a color change or a smell, play it safe and change it out. $30 isnt that bad to prolong the life of the system.

#12 ·
No no. I dint mean to give that impression. Thanks for telling me that way next time ill put the correct stuff in.

#13 ·
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10

What is a HOAT coolant and why is it different from conventional and extended life coolants?
An HOAT coolant uses both inorganic and organic inhibitors. HOAT coolants offer the best of all technologies for both immediate and long lasting protection. Inorganic inhibitors provide fast acting aluminum engine protection from boiling and erosion while the organic materials offer non-depleting, long term protection.

What vehicles use Zerex G-05 in the factory fill and what is the dye color?
1984 Mercedes and beyond (light yellow)
1990 Deere and Company vehicles and beyond (green)
2001 Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep and beyond (orange)
2002 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury trucks and SUVS and beyond (yellow)
2003 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury automobiles and beyond (yellow)

#14 ·
Yeah, thats one of the websites Ive found on my quest for information on this stuff. Thanks for posting Dodge_Tomahawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.