DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake Safety Switch Not Releasing to Shift Out of Park

46K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  trossman10 
#1 ·
I was getting ready to post the following when I found this thread.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194722&highlight=shifter
I am not sure if that recall will work for me as my problem is the truck will not come out of park where it is for a truck that will not stay in park. Does anyone know how it worked out for ny450? Did it fix his problem?

Whenever I first start my truck it will not come out of park. I have to remove the cover at the base of the gear shift at the column and release the brake safety switch. After the truck has been shifted out of park the first time it will work correctly until the truck is shut off again. This problem is not 100% of the time, but seems to come in spurts. It will work correctly for a short time and then not work correctly for a while.

Is this a common problem on these trucks? Does anyone know if it is most likely a switch at the brake pedal or a short in the wiring in the column? I have not had a chance to really look at how this system works, so I was just looking more or less maybe a starting point from someone else’s experience

It is a 2002 Dakota SLT Ext cab 4.7 2WD 186,000 miles

It is not affected by the cold weather it does it when it is warm to. See this thread http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408&highlight=shifter

Thanks for reading,

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you know if the switch is mechanical or electrical by chance?

If it's electrical it might just be worth replacing if it's cheap, or trying it out then returning it if it doesn't solve the problem.

#4 ·
Sorry I have been down with a hurt back and have not been able to work on this again. As soon as I can I will update you all. I do know that my brake lights are working correctly, so that fuse must be good.
Thanks

#5 ·
I went by the Dodge dealership yesterday and was talking to the parts man. He told me there was another recall for this same problem. My truck was not on the list. It turns out that the part was only $7 and in stock. I have got the part and will put it on this weekend or next. I will let you all know if it fixes the problem.

#6 ·
Any updates? Did you get a chance to swap the parts out yet?

#7 ·
Sorry, I have not. I have not been able to do much due to my back, and when I can do a little I have been trying to get the insides of my Ram put back together so I can drive it.

It is close to the top of my list of things to do as I am really tired of having to open it up and push the button every time I start the truck.

Thanks for checking in on this.

#8 ·
I know how that goes. Keep us updated though

#9 · (Edited)
Ok I worked on my Dakota yesterday. It turned out to be a 2 part problem that cost me a grand total of under $10 and if I had both parts to start with about 1 hours time to fix. I cannot tell you how nice it is to be able to get in my truck and drive off without having to rip open in the steering column before I go.
To start with I did the safety recall G28- Ignition/Park Safety Interlock. This replaces part number CBXSG280.

When this did not fix the problem I started doing some inspecting the rest of the system. I found the slide that works with this part was not moving as freely as I thought it should. So I removed it for inspection. I found that the tail part that the shoulder bolts goes into was bent a little. I put in the press and flattened it best as I could. I then put some white lithium grease on it and reinstalled it. It worked a little better but still not like I wanted it to.

I then went to the dealer to get a new one. When they tried to look it up they DID NOT show a part number on their computer, and started to think it was a non-service part that you had to replace the whole column to replace. Luckily for me the parts manager remembered that when they were doing this same recall they had problems with this part getting bent and even broke while the service techs did the repair, and for that reason Dodge started to sell just this part.
The part is the Link Steering Part Number 6817206-AA and cost me a total of $2.19 with tax. I suggest if you are going to do this repair you get both parts.

I took plenty of pictures (almost 30) and have a copy of the recall instructions with notes I made of tools required to do the job. So if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will get you the needed information.

Reactions: cyndinelson71
#10 ·
Great write up! Would you be okay with me copying this into the dakota how to section? Or if you'd like you could also that way everyone knows you wrote it.

I can't believe this whole thing cost toy under $10! Whenever I have to go to the dealer I end up paying way more than that

#11 ·
That would be fine Monkeyman go ahead do it. I have the instructions scanned into my computer also for the G28 recall if someone know how to put a pdf file with it, I can send it to you.

#12 ·
i just registed to this forum. i have this exact problem. i think. it happened first the other day. i parked to pick up my kid. when i started car back up and hit the brake pedal i could not get out of park. after fiddling with brake pedal, rocking the car, restarting...etc..it finally went into gear. it did it again this morning. it took a half hour of fiddling and it finally went into gear. I'll try what u have posted. Any hints. Thanks.

#14 ·
The rubber boot at the base of the gear shift will pop out without any tools. Then you can reach in behind the hear shift with 1 finger and just push the button in. It should not be hard to such at all. I never used any tools for this. I hope this helps, if it is still not clear try to take a look at it I think you will see what I mean. If you do not just ask again and I will try to get you a picture.

#15 ·
The rubber boot at the base of the gear shift should just pop out with your fingers. You can the reach in behind the shifter with 1 finger and push the button in. I never used any tools to do this. If this is not clear take a look at it and I think you will understand. If you still need some help let me know and I will try to get you a couple pictures.

#16 ·
thanks for responded. here is where i am at. cover and boot are off. actually i have not been able to get the bottom cover off yet because i don't have a square head tool yet. i am waiting for it to happen again, basically. i will try using button u descriibed. thanks. i also lubed mechanisms in there.
there may be some troubleshooting involved or maybe the thing is just waiting for me to put the covers back on b4 it does it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.