DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What HITS and what FITS

118K views 173 replies 87 participants last post by  HOGN99 
#1 ·
First off, I don't work for a Tire or Wheel company, so please take this for whatever its worth

There's an article in the Spring edition of 4X4 Garage magazine, and I'm passing on that information:

Hopefully others will also chime in with their results:

According to the article, for 2009 Ram 1500s:

31 x 10.5 will fit on a STOCK vehicle

33 x 12.5 will fit with a 2" Suspension Lift

35 x 12.5 will fit with a 4" Suspension Lift

37 x 12.5 will fit with a 6" Suspension Lift

Hope this helps

#2 ·
Part II

I'm not a tire salesman, nor do I play one on TV (I gotta stop using that line, some of you younger guys don't remember that commercial)

Anyway

According to the article, For 2009 Ram 2500/3500

30 x 9.50
31 x 10.50
32 x 11.50
33 x 12.50
From the article - all 4 of these will fit on a STOCK Vehicle

35 x 12.50 will fit with a 3" Suspension Lift

36 x 12.50 will fit with a 5" Suspension Lift

37 x 12.50 will fit with a 6" Suspension Lift and Fiberglass/Highline fenders

38.5 x 15 will fit with a 3" Body Lift and a 5" Suspension Lift

40 x 17 will fit with a 3" Body Lift and a 8" to 9" Suspension Lift

#5 ·
Stock tires are 33" anyway, so 2inch lift is certainly not necessary.
Some guys have 35x12.50s on stock suspension with no problem.
37x12.50s on 4inch lift no problem(may need wheel spacers depending on offset).
Whoever wrote that article needs some schoolin'.

#6 ·
#7 ·
True. Although there are members on this site running 12.50s with no lift. Some with the stock wheels. Depending on how aggressive a sidewall the tire has, you may need wheel spacers; 1/4" seems to be a popular choice.

#8 · (Edited)
I'll be getting 305x55 on my stock rims with no lift and I'll post how it goes. 12.5" though by my measurements will hit the upper A-arms up front without some lift.

BTW bunghole, I was bummed about 3.55 gears too until I drove the same truck as mine with 3.92 and was surprised at how little difference there was - at least in terms of performance and feel. I didn't tow anything so maybe the difference is bigger then. On top of that, I'd swear the transmission overdrive was recalibrated for the 3.92 because on the highway, the revs were identical to mine for a given speed. I guess that is for CAFE requirements. I left the dealer lot perfectly satisfied with my 3.55 after that test drive.

#10 ·
Ide like to know the other side of the spectrum IE lowerd trucks.... Like will my 24's fit with a 2/4 drop...currently im running a 2'' front spacer and Ive got wheel well for daysssss lol

#13 ·
Are you sure? Did you try it?

Did you try it on your 10" rims?

I want to add a 3" body lift with 38x15.50 on 20x12 rims with a -44 offset like RawRams here....http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309266

He has a 7" lift and a 3" body lift. His hits slightly...so I dont think I can fit them.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm just in the process of installing a new set of 305/50R20's Nitto Terra Grapplers on stock 20" Chrome Sport Wheels.

The new Nitto tires measure 12.2" wide (on a 9" wheel), which is 1.2" wider than my stock 11" wide 275/60R20 Goodyear's.

If I divided that difference by 2, the new tire is 0.60" further outside the fender,
and 0.60" CLOSER to the top of the A Arm....that's currently 0.50" away.

Stock 275/60R20 Goodyear on 20" Sport Wheel = 1/2" (0.50") from upper A arm.

So I don't see how anyone can run a true 12.5" wide tire on a stock 20"x9" wheel UNLESS they add at least a 1/4" wheel spacer. Lifted or Not.
Picking up my 1/4" wheel spacers today...sure glad someone locally had them in stock ;)

I'm not a 100% clear on IFS systems (Solid Axle Jeep Guy)
So can someone explain to me how adding a 2.5" spacer lift helps increase sidewall clearance here?

Pic would be helpful

#19 · (Edited)
I guess I was wrong, time to eat a little crow...

New tire to add to the "What Fits" list...

Nitto Terra Grappler 305/50R20's (32.1" x 12.2")
Mounted today on Stock 20" Chrome 20"x9" Wheels

Looks same height as stock 275/60R20 when side-by-side
But...it sure looks a lot wider...and no more white letters :worthy:

No lift, no level kit,
and to my surprise no wheel spacers needed
(even though I had a pair handy just in case)

about 1/4" to spare:

Great Tires!

#22 ·
Haha

Well first of all, the factory is real cheap when it comes to underside paint coverage, :WHT:
So the first step (when you get a new truck) is to hit the underside with a couple rattle cans of rust resistant paint.
I used Tremclad Professional High Performance Rust Enamel (Gloss Black).
Link:http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...formance%2BRust%2BEnamel%2B%2526%2BPrimer.jsp

...after you've got a good foundation to work from,
Then just Fükken Wax EVERYTHING! to keep it looking good.
I actually haven't done mine for a couple weeks now, that's why the front wheel wells are a bit of a mess :eek:

Fükken wax is not just for the pretty paint ;)
I use it on my glass, chrome wheels, tonneau, mud flaps, wheel well liners
frame, rear end, coils ... everything but the tires :D

#33 ·
Anyone know if I can get those NTG tires on a stock 17" rim on a 1500 TRX4? Tire size would be 305/70/17. From your pics of the 20" and the space you had to where you are now I'm thinking the answer is yes.

#37 ·
Tire pressure light?

I have heard that adding larger LT tires with E rating which require running higher air pressures like 60+ rather than stock 35 can cause the "Check Tire Pressure Light" to come on. Any know if this is true and if so how to get it turned off. I want to add 295x60x20 Nittos on my stock 20" wheels. any help would be great, thanks

#38 ·
After lots of searching and asking here and elsewhere, here is the largest you can fit on stock 20x9 (chrome clads) with stock 4X4 suspension and no level kit:

305/55R20 - stock height, light rub at full right lock, no mods needed
285/65R20 - 1.6" taller than stock, no rub

#40 ·
Just looking at the numbers...those are going to stick out like 3"-3.5" MORE than the factory 20x9s. Given that you tire is really only going to be a hair over 33" tall you might be ok...but i would guess you're going to rub when you turn the wheels all the way one way. On another note the 305s seem pretty skinny to run on a 12" wide wheel...some guys are running that size on the factory 9" wheels.

#41 ·
Ok I'm new to this forum and have been reading about leveling kits. Some say with a 2.5" leveling kit 33's are as big as you can run without rubbing and some say you can run 35's without rubbing. All the 4x4 shops I have talked to say 35's will not rub with the 2.5" leveling kit. I have already ordered a 2.5" leveling kit (front only) from hell bent steel and would to know if I can run 35's on the stock chrome steel wheel without the tires rubbing

#42 ·
I would like to know too! Seeing as I'm going to be removing my leveling kit and going up, but I might be getting the CST 4"/1" spindle/rear spacer lift. Hopefully I can fit 35's with it.

#44 ·
New to the forum, looking for some help!

I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, completely stock at this point. I'm looking to purchase a set of Toyo MT Open Country. Without spacers or a lift/leveling kit, what would be the largest/best size tire I could mount on the stock 20" rim without rubbing/hitting??

#45 · (Edited)
Hello,I am looking to get some 20x9 fuel Hostage (+14 offset) on my stock rcsb 4x4.I believe stock offset is +19,I'm hoping the smaller +offset will make up for the extra tire width.I want the wheels tucked like stock,you think this offset is going to be ok?.Just not sure of clearance issues,also I'm not wanting flares and don't want the tires sticking out too much.I'm looking at getting the 295/60/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers that are a 34.4"tall and 12.1" wide.Any input appreciated,thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.