DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmission Fluid Change Or Transmission Flush?

93K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  AmericanRobster 
#1 ·
I have an automatic transmission with my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 V8 truck with almost 34,000 miles, should I change the transmission fluid or flush the transmission? I also plan on changing the rear diff fluid myself. Thanks !!! Rob

#3 ·
with an 07 at 34k I would let the dealership flush it. I always like to change ALL the fluid out and not just whats in the pan.

#4 ·
do a flush to be on the safe side. but also check out the service interval to.

#5 ·
I do a "pan drop" fluid and filter change every 15,000-20,000 miles on my '05. I figure by doing this the fluid is still getting changed more often that the owners manual calls for and I can save money doing it myself versus having to pay for the fluid flush. I'd say your at a low enough mileage that this should work for you just fine. The main thing is just doing something instead of letting it go and go and go without changing any of the fluid.

If you can't do it yourself, you might as well spend the few extra dollars and get the flush. If you do decide to change it yourself buy a few extra pan bolts before you begin. You will strip a couple until you learn to go very easy on them.

#6 ·
If you do decide to change it yourself buy a few extra pan bolts before you begin. You will strip a couple until you learn to go very easy on them.
You are correct on this. When I read about it and seen the issues others had with them, I thought ahead and went to the hardware store and bought all new grade 5 or 8 bolts and used them and did not have not one issue with any bolts going back in.

#8 ·
I dont remember and there is a nice DIY thread out there but even it didnt have the sizes so I just took one to the store with me and matched it up. I know that doesnt answer your Q but maybe it helps.

#20 ·
#9 ·
The tech at the dealership that rebuilt my trans said drop the pan and change the filters with Dodge OEM stuff every 20,000 miles.But,I know people that do the flushes and keep up with scheduled filter changes and their trans are fine.

#10 ·
I talked to this mechanic who is right next door from where I work and he said to do a transmission flush every 30k. He recommended that I use the BG fluid and it would bring the grand total to $270. I think that's high for a transmission flush. I think the dealer around here does it for $200 if I recall right.

#11 ·
dodge puts 100k plus mile transmission fluid in

#13 ·
You confused yet? You have answers ranging from 15,000 miles all the way to 100,000 miles.

What hasn't been touched is how hard you work your transmission. A lot of interstate highway miles mean longer intervals, while stop and go city driving, towing, or snow plowing may require more frequent intervals. A good thing to remember is Chrysler has put out notices that the ATF +4 fluid does not smell or turn colors when worn or burnt as typical ATF fluids do, so if you wait long enough for one of these signs your transmission is probably already toast. If your still undecided, why not post how you use your truck and in what kind of heat?

For the record, I drop my pan every 15,000 to 20,000 not because I'm that hard on my transmission, I'm just paranoid about my auto transmissions dying. I admit I can be a little OCD when it comes to changing auto trans fluids.

#14 ·
A good thing to remember is Chrysler has put out notices that the ATF +4 fluid does not smell or turn colors when worn or burnt as typical ATF fluids do, so if you wait long enough for one of these signs your transmission is probably already toast.

This is very correct and to re-affirm, the color or smell gives no indication on the condition of the oil

#16 ·
#18 ·
if you take it some where to do a "flush-fill" make sure that they also drop the pan and replace the spin on filter inside, i have seen some advertising for flush-fill and but on further inquiry thats all they do so no filter change, they tell you that with the flush fill it cleans the filter in the process, this is a load of BS. Just thought i would mention this oh and btw i have mine changed every 30k or 1 year which ever comes first.

#19 ·
I have a Dodge Mechanic in my wifes family. I have a HEMI so probably different tranny but he told me change mine at 50000km, making sure they change BOTH filters. I got the quote at $291 (Kind of high but piece of mine knowing a Mopar Mechanic is doing it and is on the books. He also told me change it again at 100000km and get the mechanic to tell me what he sees in the pan. My warranty goes till 120000 so if the mechanic sees something bad.. Start complaining of tranny problems. Just my .02

#21 ·
I feel like I've posted too much already on this topic, but there is one last thing that I remembered to say. Be VERY VERY VERY careful about having a non-dealer shop or quick lube do a tranmission flush for your Dodge. It is likely they do not have a flush machine for ATF +4 fluid and our transmissions need the +4 fluid. A lot of places use the standard Dextron/Merc and then add a small bottle of additive that claims to make it a +3 or +4 fluid.

When I worked at a quick lube (when it was ATF +3 for Chryslers) we just change it with the standard fluid and added the additive (I didn't agree with it but that's what we did). We did have one +4 Chrysler transmission job come in before we knew it called for +4. We dropped the pan before realizing it required +4 and we didn't have an additive for it. We were desperate and even called the Jiffy Lube down the street to see if they had a +4 additive or +4 fluid they could sell us. They told us they just use the +3 additive and offered to sell us the +3 additive for triple the cost. We ended up doing a run to a dealer for the fluid since our shift cared enough about quality service. I'm not sure if they ever came out with a +4 additive or not since I wasn't a grease monkey for long but I wouldn't trust it even if they made it.

My point is make sure the shop uses +4 fluid and not just an additive with normal ATF fluid.

#22 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I plan on calling up the dealer for a quote to keep it on the books and have the piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.