DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffler

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  JustBob 
#1 ·
So, I just ordered my Magnaflow 14" muffler and y-pipe. Hopefully they get here soon so I can make my truck growl!

#2 ·
That's exactly what I am running, it sounds great!

#5 ·
I had mine removed and had the exhaust dumped after the axle.

#7 ·
The 14" center in/offset out is #12229, and the Y-pipe is 10778.

As for the resonator, if you dont mind a little drone, then take it off and let it rip. They are easy enough to remove that I would leave it on there for now though to see how you like the sound. If you feel you want it a little louder, it is very easy to remove afterwards. I would hate for you to remove the resonator now only to find that it is too loud and then have to pay to have it welded back on.

#8 ·
The definition of "Drone" is different from person to person, but mine doesn't really drone at all. You can hear it in the cab while cruising, but it's far from annoying.

#9 ·
I agree. That is why I recommend not cutting it off from the start though. I have had customers tell me that hey had drone with the 24" mufflers, and others say that the same muffler sounds stock. Exhaust is a tough subject to offer advice on because everyone has different tastes and different levels of what they consider to be loud or quiet.

#10 ·
I've been reading this Forum and other Ram Forumz for years. There's a general consensus that removing the resonator brings on some or all of the drone sound. The 14 is plenty loud. You should have your answer by now.

I must be getting old and went with an 18.

#11 ·
Hey Guys, my Magnaflow muffler and y-pipe arrived yesterday. Gonna call the exhaust shop tomorrow and set something up. I can't wait to have them put on. And I think I am going to leave the resonator on for now.
I can't wait for my truck to sound like a truck!

#12 ·
Welp, got the Y-pipe and muffler put on today. Looks good. The shop just took everything off between the y-pipe and muffler and welded all that together instead of cutting sections out. Looks pretty good.
I have one concern: I can not really hear it in the truck itself. I know that sounds stupid. My 2010 Ram 1500 I had a Borla catback and I could hear it with the windows up. It was not overwhelming, but I could hear it.
I had the shop leave on the resonator today. I was outside the truck and it sounds good. I had a buddy rev it up... sounds good. I just like to hear it more. SO would taking the resonator off make it that much louder? I will more than likely just take it off, but thought I'd ask you fellas.

#14 ·
Did you ever chop the resonator off? I am curious as to what your impressions were between with and without.

#15 ·
JustBob - I didn't take off the resonator yet. I am still thinking I Might. I now have a welder handy so if I chop it off I can just dump the exhaust like Myoung. It sounds good with it on. Really only time I can really hear it in the truck is when Its under load. I still think the Borla I had on my 1500 was louder. I will prolly chop it off... I'll let ya know when I do.l

#16 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

I just had a 14" magnaflow installed on mine and am not caring for it much at the moment. I will likely swap in an 18" or 22" muffler after a few weeks. The 14" drones too much for me at low RPMs and under partial load.

#17 ·
I have the 22" muffler and a Y pipe it is perfect, you can hear it when you get on it and a slight growl otherwise no in-cab done. If you add a aftermarket CAI the sound level will increase primarily a full wide open throttle.

#20 ·
The resonator makes a big difference then...good to know!

#21 ·
I just put a Flowmaster 40 Series on mine last week. I already had a 3 1/2 inch stainless tip when this was installed. The shop I took it to didn't have the 4 inch stainless I wanted in stock so I waited till this weekend to have them put it on. While I waited for this weekend, I thought to myself - Man, it does have a much better growl now that I switched from my previous 70 Series to this 40, but I still don't notice much of a difference inside the cab. It also wasn't as loud for my taste at idle. I decided that when I take it in (this weekend) to have the 4 inch stainless tip on, I'll see what they can do to give it some more Uumph! OK, so here's the verdict. 1st - New tip looks awesome! 2nd - Muffler tech said the new tip might alter the sound some (It did - not only was the tip longer than the previous one, but wider at the end too), but to really get it, he said to take the resonator off. But beware he said, they'll be a huge difference! So what did I do? Take the resonator off of course! MAN!!! Huge difference in growl! I will admit THERE IS DRONE action in the cab depending on where the RPMs lie :banghead:, but man, it's not so bad after applying some "training" of how much to let on/off the gas pedal. After about 2 days with my new exhaust, I figured where I need to take the pressure off the gas and keep the speed I want at an idle RPM - and then? It doesn't have the noticable drone :). Also, when I have it upto higher highway speeds (i.e. 75 MPH) no more drone too. I was relieved, cause I started thinking long trips would then suck!

THE BLUFF:
1. Got a Growlin' Machine! :taz:
2. Yes, it got some drone at times (see above), but I got this man!
3. As some of y'all said earlier, only YOU can decide what is your preference.

- Hope this helps to all my PW friends!

#24 ·
Yea, like you said, if I play around with the throttle I can manage to keep it down. The only time I have issues is when slow people are in front of me, lol. I need to dump it a bit further back, since right now it's about 5 inches from the muffler itself. Sounds like a truck though.

#25 ·
I learned this same lesson with my Charger. I had Flowmaster 40 series installed and left the resonators on. It wasn't loud enough. I went back and had the resonators removed, holy crap sound and drone, but like someone else said, you learn how to drive to minimize drone.

I will be using my truck for towing, so I'm really hesitant about drone. Anyone with a modified exhaust tow?

Eddie

#26 ·
Slow Eddie - back in the fall before I took off the resonator, I pulled a 2 axle trailer with tractor and bush-hog about 30 miles ( I know, not a lot). Mostly flat. It wasn't bad at all. To get to the place I was working at, you had to go down a big hill. Coming back up pull that tractor (not huge) it was loud, even with the resonator.
I also pulled quite a bit with my 2010 1500 with a Borla exhaust (boat a few times, full truck of wood plus a 6x10 trailer full of wood) and it wasn't bad either.

#27 ·
Quick update: I swapped the 14" out for the 18" and will leave the 18" in place. It's about 10% quieter and tolerable. With the experience I now have, I would have ordered a 22" to start and think I would have been happy there.

FYI: MagnaFlow states their 18" muffler is 10-15% quieter than their 14" and the 22" is 30-35% quieter than the 14".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.