Serpentine belt comes off [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: Serpentine belt comes off

yongshao1
10-24-2002, 01:24 PM
The serpentine belt on my 99 Grand Caravan came off when I drove on a rainy day. What surpirsed me is that two dealers said it happens quite often for this model when drive in deep water. I was driving on some 2-3 inch water that day, wasn't that deep. It really scared me at the time because I can hardly control the car - no power steering! Anyway, I don't think it's right for any reason that the drive belt should come off under drivable condition!

Does anyone have this problem, or heard of this problem with 96-99 model of caravan?

Thanks,

Young

McClane
11-05-2002, 02:53 PM
That is the first I've ever heard of such an incident. I really hope that what happened to you was a freak accident, because my dad has a 98 Voyager 3.3L and I would hate to have that happen to him while he's driving.

yongshao1
11-05-2002, 03:39 PM
There is a TSB (?07-09-99?) on this. AllData has an article about it too. It advised to replace the idle pulley bracket to align the pulley better with the belt. But it only applies to 96 to 98 model. Mine is 99 grand caravan 3.3, supposed with new bracket, but still has the problem. I saw two other occasions on the web complaining about this (drive in deep snow, through puddle). Use extra cautions when in any of these situations.

McClane
11-06-2002, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the head's up. I guess I should read things carefully because I first thought it was a recall, but it is a TSB instead.

dcrow
01-11-2003, 02:35 PM
New member here....

I just lost the fan belt on a 1993 3.3L when driving through a puddle.

Anyone know where I can go to find a diagram as to how to put it back on? (other than a Chiltons etc.)

Thanks,

six pack
01-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by yongshao1
What surpirsed me is that two dealers said it happens quite often for this model when drive in deep water. I was driving on some 2-3 inch water that day, wasn't that deep. It really scared me at the time because I can hardly control the car - no power steering! Anyway, I don't think it's right for any reason that the drive belt should come off under drivable condition!

Actually the vehicle is not designed to be driven through 2-3 inches of water.

But, there is a Snow shield that can be installed on the idler pulley to prevent the belt coming off after driving through drifts(again, not designed for this type of operation) that may help your situation as well.

Hope this helps:)

jwalker44688
09-29-2004, 06:43 PM
we have had this problem about four or five times on our 97 caravan. we have even had the pullies replaced. the last time was about 3 weeks ago. my mechanic told me that they have been trying to find a solution to this problem, but haven't came up with one yet. ours actually has a shield on it, but it doesn't seem to help.

the first time this happened to me was on new years eve, it took me over four hours is the freezing cold and rain to get the belt back on. the last time was during hurricane ivan's trip to ohio. nothing like standing out in a hurricane trying to put a belt on!!!

macpappy4
01-06-2005, 11:11 AM
This happened to my father in a 94 Caravan while in a car wash (March 2004). He had another pulley installed and I bought the van (April 2004). Since August, I've had the belt come off while I was driving in light misty rains at least 4 times. I can put the belt on in about 15 minutes now (what a pain). I'm going to try another pully and a fresh belt and then take it to a shop/dealer to check the alignment but I'm afarid it won't help. Any other ideas/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated....

piewicket
05-19-2005, 12:12 PM
We Have a 98 caravan and have had it happen 3-4 times without water being a factor. Once it was the tensioner but the other times it came off. Not to mention other issues with this van such as the computer going out twice, transmission going out, rear main seal, A/C now and lifter noise. All under 80,000 miles. I am going to look hard before buying Mopar again.

cliff gapco
05-19-2005, 06:29 PM
To all having belt promblems, try using Dayco Top Cob belt. It has additional perpendiculer cuts on it besides the standard long cuts. My belt lasted for thirty thousand be for it broke . Good luck

gas28man
05-20-2005, 10:40 AM
I've made it to 288,000 miles on only five serp belts -- two of them in the last month. Every time but one, the tensioner was the culprit. The other time, it was the P/S pump. They've dropped the price on tensioners substantially, by the way. I speak from experience.

Rick

HL2005
08-09-2005, 02:10 AM
My 97 Dodge caravan (73K mi) serpentine belt came off the other day when I sprayed belt dressing to reduce the squeeking noise. I tried to replace the belt by turning the tensioner all the way clockwise, but the belt won't get back to the pulleys.

I removed the upper screw from the alternator and was able to put the belt on, but then I could not put the screw back on the alternator.

Please help! Thanks.

HL

gas28man
08-09-2005, 09:13 AM
HL

A couple of suggestions:

When trying to reinstall a serp belt, get the longest 15 mm combination wrench you can find. Then get a piece of wood or something to hold your hood up, and put the prop rod down because it stands right in the way of where you need to be to get the best leverage on that pulley.

Secondly, when reinstalling, don't thread the belt onto the tensioner last. Instead (after putting your alternator back where it belongs), thread it onto everything except that ungrooved pulley right in front of the tensioner. It should slide on easily. My wife can actually do it, and she's only 5-5, 110 pounds.

If you are finding that you still can't get the tensioner cranked over far enough, this is a sign that it is shot, which, based on your description of a squealing noise, I would have figured was the problem anyway.

Good luck, and let us know how everything comes out.

Rick

HL2005
08-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the suggestions. I used a 15mm wrench with pipe extender to crank the belt tensioner all the way and thread the belt to the center ungrooved pulley last (as you have suggested), but the belt could not be inserted onto the center pulley. I forgot to mention that I am putting on a new belt with exact dimension as the old one.

I intend to loosen the bolt for the tensioner unit and rotate the tensioner unit slightly clockwise to leave more slacks for the belt. But the tensioner bolt is hard to get to. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I will work on it after work today.

Thanks,

HL

HL2005
08-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Hello Rick,

I checked the v-grooves on the new belt, and they seem to be wider than the old belt. So the grooves do not fit well into the grooved pulleys... I ended up putting the old belt back without any troubles.

Thanks for all the help.

HL

dodges 3
08-26-2005, 07:34 PM
I just changed the serp belt on my 2000 Caravan. Mine doesn't fall off, it shreds. This was the 2nd. time in about 10,000kms. With a new belt on now, I se it is not aligned on the tensioner pulley, which is also new. I'm going to try changing the tensioner assembily, which I've had off today, so I know how to do that. I wil let u know if it makes a difference or not.

shelbydodgeimp
08-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I just lost the fan belt on a 1993 3.3L when driving through a puddle.

The 3.3 never has had a "fan belt"- the fans are electrically driven on all 3.3's.

Tankerman
10-09-2005, 06:26 AM
I had the problem of the serpentine coming off with my '93 Caravan. I recently purchased an '05 with a 3.8L. Does anyone know if Dodge has fixed the problem?

jonnyjonski
10-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Does anyone have a link that shows a diagram of the belt configuration? Mine came off in the rain yesterday and I need help getting it back on.

shelbydodgeimp
10-09-2005, 09:16 AM
http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YCJJQ0qFiUWLTzF8ppG4K8VUDHEbb4GCFC9mZqrqpFawpOsEre oWrBgQjjFHrp6i1KsD58tDS6QXQN4j0Se_/33beltroute.gif

jonnyjonski
10-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Thank you! I was able to get it on and drive it around the block!! It's all good now!

shelbydodgeimp
10-09-2005, 01:48 PM
No problem, glad it could help

MYCVIL
11-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Our 97 GC LE 3.3 lost a belt over christmas with the In-Laws - Tensioner stuck - replaced Tensioner with NAPA one - then 2 months later 5 star dealer found Power Steering pump leaking - replaced - since that belt easily came out with any water contact. - Fought with the dealer, chrysler, and anyone that would listen for month or two - they did the Bracket thing - alignment thing, replaced belt, tensioner, power steering pump AGAIN, no luck. We were about to trade (Van insn't worth 50 cents if it can't handle water/slush/snow in North Dakota) when my GM parts guy helped find a nice fix - here it is - hope it helps many on this forum! - Ours has been running 1.5 years so far with this fix - NOTHING will make this belt fall off now!

GM Part 14102645 - Tensioner assembly off an 87-93 S10 with the 2.8L V6 - List 58.89 Use the GM one - NAPA, other auto parts suppliers say theirs don't have the "Lips" on the edges to keep the belt on in rain/snow/sleet, etc.

Take the pulley and washers (Inside and outside) off the GM tensioner.

IF you have an OEM Chrysler tensioner (Mine had one less than 1 month old) you will need to grind the inside edge of the pulley off around 1/32 to 1/16 an inch no biggie - leave the edge on it, but take the inside corner off to eliminate rubbing on your tensioner.

With other tensioners, you'll have to experiment - I previously had a NAPA one that the dealer replaced, I think it would have worked without any modifications on the NAPA tensioner, but who knows - your call.

Remove your Chrysler pulley, and put the GM pulley and washers in where the original Chrysler pulley was - feed the belt through - hook it over the tensioner pulley, use your standard 15MM wrench and crank the belt on over the idler (Above the crankshaft) and away you go. - Your belt will NEVER come off in water again - that is unless your POS chrysler tensioner locks up like my first one did... ON christmas eve nonetheless 300 miles away from home on some gravel
road with your in-laws in the van. And to top it off, only minutes after you chastised them for asking if you installed a plate on the bottom of the van to protect the engine, tranny, oilpan, etc from road debris... - DAMN Murphy.

IF you want pix, more help, I'll be happy to help.

Billy

MSCH2112
11-07-2005, 12:40 AM
my mom's belt came off her trail blazer. dealer said it was because small rocks bounced up and knocked the belt off. she was driving on a dirt road too.

mike

Javert
12-21-2005, 09:45 AM
This is a known problem with these vehicles. The only real fix that works is go to a Goodyear distributor and ask for the 49204K field fix kit. This kit has a special (ribbed on both sides) belt that works extreemly well. :)

DAVIDNLEXINGTON
12-29-2005, 05:46 PM
I have a 1997 Caravan and I have had my Serp Belt replaced 6 times in the last 18 months. It happens everytime I may go through a puddle of water. I am told it is and told it is not the pulleys or the tensioner, but one time I paid to have the bearings replaced in the Pulley I think. I knew another man who had the same problem and they installed something to prevent the problem. He said he had to pay for the fix and died shortly after so I never knew if it worked or not but I have spent almost 600.00 dolars on this with being towed in and belts. It does make a person wonder about the caravan and safety.....

97Ram_4X4
12-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I guess I have been lucky 131,000 miles and I have never had such a problem with my '97 Caravan

gas28man
12-29-2005, 10:59 PM
David, If you keep losing belts on the 3.3/3.8 family of engines, it's definitely the tensioner. It's a cheap fix and the shops you're going to oughta know better. There is also the Goodyear fix suggested in the post above by Javert.

Rick

Javert
01-04-2006, 08:14 AM
The Goodyear fix only applies to the 96-2000 3.0L right now.

I know that Goodyear is currently working on providing special field fix kits for known problems with belt drives (such as the 3.3L/3.8L).

You will just have to check with your Goodyear distributor to see what's new for 06.

kuriath
01-24-2006, 03:27 PM
98 caravan 3.3 belt belt came off several times within last year. Now I just avoid driving in rain. Took to the dealer, tech says "Chrysler is aware of the problem, but no fix". They say the alignment is good, tensioner is good. The only thing they can do is the fix as per the TSB, which I suspect may not solve the problem because tensioner and alignment etc are good. I asked if they will give warranty on the job, but they wouldn't.

I bought a Goodyear Gator back belt, but haven't installed it yet. I am thinking about going with the GM pulley fix suggested by Billy (MYCVIL) on 11-07-2005.
Which pulley is the culprit here: the idler pulley or tensioner? I tried to find this out by pouring water on to the belt & pulleys when engine is running, but the belt didn't come off :(

To take the old pulley out, does the whole tensioner needs to come off (I don't think I can do that) or can I loosen the bolt at the center of pulley? Also, what about the idler pulley, which is also smooth and do not have "lips"? I there a GM replacement for this too?

Tom

MYCVIL
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Tensioner pulley - it can come off without removing the tensioner - just loosen the 15MM bolt at the end and off it comes. - Pickup the pulley - put it in place and make sure it doesn't rub the tensioner - if it does, should be just a little bit - have someone with a grinder just take a little off the inside edge and you'll be set.

Good luck and let me know if (when) it works!!!

My belt would wander off the tensioner a bit when splashed, but if you took the engine off idle and up to around 1500-2000 that was when it would pop right off.

Billy

mrbizness1
01-24-2006, 06:08 PM
I guess I have been lucky 131,000 miles and I have never had such a problem with my '97 Caravan

I was lucky for 98k. Until I had the dealer replace the belt as part of a regular service. It came off the next day in the rain but I thought that the dealer didn't install it correctly. It didn't rain for almost 2 months, but then it rained every week and the belt came even in a inch of rain. I couldn't go around the corner, and carried a wrench under the seat. I went back to the dealer and he performed the tsb update from 1999 for $235.00. They wanted almost $300.00 but I insisted on a belt credit. Two days later he had to tow me in when it came off in the rain after 8 miles of driving. When I picked it up I had then use a Dayco belt I bought, it's not a gatorback but has grooves going across the inside of the belt. It's been 4 months and I have driven through deep water and slush without it coming off. I look for puddles to go through to test it because I don't want my wife getting stuck anymore. I read somewhere that the grooves on the Chrysler belts are closer than earlier versions and this might be causing the problems, this seem to make sense in my case because I only used Chrysler belts until I had this problem.

kuriath
01-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Here is an update on the belt situation. Today I replaced the idler pulley. I was able to get an idler pully with flange ("lip") from a local autoparts store. They had 2 types, metal pulley without flange and plastic pulley with flange. I bought the plastic one: made by "Four Seasons" part# 45970 (made in Korea) for about $27. I hope this won't break..Before installing, I revved the engine to 2000-3000rpm and splashed the pulley with garden hose, I noticed the belt moved sideways on the tensioner, but never poped out. Also noticed that the drain from the windshield is directly above the belt and hose was not connected to it. May be this was the primary reason for the belt falling off. Even though the new pulley was caravan replacement part, the inside edge rubbed against the tensioner arm, so I had to shave off a little bit. Because of this, the flange on inner side is now about 1/2 the original thickness.
I hope this will fix the problem, I am a bit concerned about using the plastic pulley instead of metal one. I will post an update after testing this in rain / puddle etc..
Thanks Billy for the help..
tom

Poch
01-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I had my belt replace several times on my 97 Grand Caravan. My tensioner and pulley broke off and I replace it with an aftermaket part. It has been about 2 years and the belt problem is gone. Go to the alldata website and look for Rich Diegle's Tech Rx. There you will find a TSB on the Chrysler Serpentine Belt Misalignment. This TSB has all the part # and step by step instruction on repairing this issue. I never tried it but hopefully it would help solve the problem.

Good Luck

Oz

DAVIDNLEXINGTON
01-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I will check out that site. I even hate now to drive it in the rain thinking it will come off again and cant afford any extra expense at this time...

mrbizness1
01-29-2006, 03:15 PM
I will check out that site. I even hate now to drive it in the rain thinking it will come off again and cant afford any extra expense at this time...

You can check the tensioner with a 15mm box wrench, just put it on the bolt that holds the pulley and pull down. You should feel alot of resistance on the wrench. If the belt is centered on the pulleys when the motor is running and the tensioner is good the problem is the belt.

:gr_patrio

AALSHERRI
01-30-2006, 08:08 PM
I changed the belt with a Goodyear Gator back last month. I drove the car on a rainy day without problems. However, it is not enough and more experience is needed. If it fells again, I will install the GM tensioner pulley. Is the GM pulley made of plastic?
Kuriath mentioned a Caravan part made of plastic.

kuriath
01-31-2006, 06:56 AM
The after market pulley that I used may be a generic one that is supposed to work with different makes. Later I found out that the idler pulley is also the same part number. I may replace that one too just in case. In any case make sure the hose is connected to the drain from windshield.
Yesterday I did a testdrive in rain without problems.
Good luck

MYCVIL
01-31-2006, 08:56 AM
The GM pulley is steel - I wouldn't worry one bit about a plastic pulley - lots of engines use them. I'm sure the plastic one was easier to grind/sand off the inside edge of the lip - on mine the only direction the belt would drift was away from the engine - so that inside lip isn't used at all anyways.

Good to hear - I'll include your info in any more inquiries I get on this fix. - All it took to get mine off was taking the engine just off of idle and pouring about 20 oz of water out of a pepsi bottle. - I saw NO movement on the idler though so I don't know that I'd worry about that one.

Billy

acton mike
02-06-2006, 11:13 AM
i have a '94 with a 3.3; i started having a problem witht he car thrwoing serpentine belts

I changed the tensioner and the problem went away.

The old tensioner seemed to be okay; no perceptible wobble or run out
the tensioner is cheap and the removal and installation is easy

do yourself a favour and change the tensioner

get2now
03-15-2006, 03:25 AM
My 98 GC with a 3.8L had the tensioner replaced May 5, 2005 along with the serpentine belt. I had the Idler pulley replaced 1-6-06. I then let it sit for two months because I was trying to decide if I wanted to get rid of it. Well, I decided to start driving it again and the belt started coming off when I would go through very shallow (1 inch) puddles. It doesn't seem to do this when the engine is under a load though, only when slowing down.
Anyway I decided I'd try the GatorBack belt first since it was the cheapest fix. I didn't even have to use a wrench to get the old one off. I just started the engine and took a spray bottle and squirted it three times and it flew right off. :D It took a lot more effort to get the new belt on because it seemed to be smaller than the old one. I double checked the size and it was the right one though. I finally got it on and sprayed with water while running and it stayed on. The next test I drove through a gutter with about 1.5 inches of water in it. The first time I was accelerating and the second time I decelerated. So far it's still on and this was more than enough water to blow the other belt off, but I'm still a little leary about it falling off again.
I figure if it does fall off again I'll try the GM tensioner that MYCVIL recommended. I don't think I'd do the engine mount bracket change as mentioned in the 07-02-99 TSB since it wasn't misaligned in the first place and I never had this problem before.
Best Regards,
G

jar4jesus
04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
My 98 Grand Voyager suffered the same problem with water causing the belt to jump off the tensioner pulley. I replaced the belt first with a mopar part, but that didn't help. I decided to take the advice of replacing the tensioner and the pulley with the lip that prevents the belt from slipping off. The parts I used came from rockauto and the part numbers are 45970 and 45887 (Four Seasons). The plastic pulley needed to be modified by sanding off one side so it will not rub the tensioner. The total cost was around $50. Let me tell you that this fix gives me a piece of mind knowing that my wife and family will not get stranded from this problem again. Thanks to all those who contribute to this helpful forum. Also, this pulley has a raised center which helps center the belt. (my boss, who is an engineer, told me that this feature was designed for that purpose) God bless all. :gr_patrio

bfranke
04-15-2006, 01:01 PM
A question for jar4jesus or anyone who knows:

Does that pulley from RockAuto (#45970 four seasons) work for the 3.8 engine?

jar4jesus
04-18-2006, 10:09 AM
I believe they are the same engine configuration. My repair manual shows both the 3.3L and the 3.8L engines using the same picture for reference.

th55
04-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Our 97 tossed the belt at about 100k. Stayed on a week or two, then off again.

The water pump was the culprit, it was not leaking but it had enough slack in cause it to throw the belt.

TH55

96Grand
04-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Belt Tensioner - Momentary Loss of Power Assist

NO: 19-01-97 Rev. A

GROUP: Steering

DATE: Oct. 3, 1997

SUBJECT:

Intermittent Momentary Loss Of Power Assist

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 19-01-97, DATED JAN. 24, 1997, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE 1996 SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699-97010). ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE INSTALLATION OF A NEW SERPENTINE DRIVE BELT AND ADDING 1998 TO MODELS.

MODELS:

1996 - **1998** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

1996 - **1998** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (International Market)

NOTE : THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.3L OR 3.8L ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

During high humidity climate conditions, some vehicles may experience a momentary loss of power assist for the steering when turning corners with the A/C or defroster "ON" or recently "ON".

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Inspect the HVAC housing condensate drain tube to determine if a spout has been installed and is in the 4 o'clock position as viewed from the front of the vehicle (refer to illustration). If a spout is not present, perform Repair Procedure A. If the spout is present but not properly positioned, reposition the spout to the 4 o'clock position.

2. With the engine turned "OFF", check the position of the black pointer on the back side of the serpentine belt tensioner in relation to the tensioner casting. This position is the pointer's "home position".

3. Place a 15 mm wrench on the tensioner pulley bolt and apply force to rotate the tensioner clockwise. The tensioner should rotate smoothly and freely with no binding as the tensioner is rotated and released.

4. When the tensioner pulley is released, the black pointer should return to its "home position". Any Binding or resistance to rotation of the tensioner should result in the black pointer not returning to its "home position". If the black pointer does not return to its "home position", the tensioner is not supplying adequate tension to the belt, perform Repair Procedure B.

PARTS REQUIRED:

**AR (1) 04612894AB Tensioner, Serpentine Belt

AR (1) 04677435AA Spout, A/C Condensate Drain

1 04861322 Belt, Serpentine Drive**

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

This bulletin involves installing a spout on the A/C condensate drain, ** new serpentine drive belt ** and on some vehicles, installing a revised serpentine belt tensioner.

Repair Procedure A

1. Install condensate drain tube spout ** p/n 04677435AA ** on to the condensate drain tube so the spout is in the 4 o'clock position.

Repair Procedure B

1. Release the tension on the serpentine belt by rotating the tensioner clockwise and remove the serpentine belt from around the tensioner pulley.

2. Remove the nut attaching the tensioner.

3. Install new tensioner ** p/n 04612894AB **. Torque the attaching nut to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.)

4. **Install the serpentine belt, p/n 04861322.**

get2now
04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh, great! Now that I just ordered a new Four Seasons tensioner pulley, this comes out. The reason behind that is, when it looked like I had the problem fixed with the GatorBack belt I had another problem. When I originally tried to install it, it seemed smaller than the OEM serp. belt because it was nearly impossible to get on. But eventually I was able to get it on. Then after driving for more than a month in extremely wet conditions with no problem I decided to have a close look at it. The belt is now showing signs of shredding. Most likely because it was too tight. I'm going back to the OEM belt and installing the pulley with the lips on the tensioner. I'd like to see a picture of Chryslers new tensioner to see if it has lips on it too.
Thanks for the update 96Grand.
G

96Grand
04-22-2006, 10:14 PM
No prob, I'll get you a pic of that tensioner when I can.

96Grand
04-22-2006, 10:15 PM
No problem, I'll try to get that pic that you need also.

:rck:

lady_alia
06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I have a 99 Caravan and guess what, it throws belts, no water needed. It's done it since it was new. This is what we did. We replaced the tensioner pulley with a Dayco No Slack Idler/Tensioner Pulley (90 mm flat steel without flange) Part # 89006. It's a little wider than the factory pulley. We also replaced our surpentine belt with a Dayco Poly Cog Serpentine belt
Part # 5060805 which also stopped the squealing issue. I'll keep ya posted. Good luck everyone.

get2now
06-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Just curious, you say that it's done this since it was new but did you recently install these parts or were those repairs done early on?
I did the four seasons tensioner pulley fix but tried it with a stock OEM serpentine belt. When I squirted water on it with a hose it popped right off. That belt also squeaked when it was on. I changed that belt to the Gator Back belt and it quit squeaking but I was afraid to see what would happen if I squirted it with water. I figure it's summer now so I don't have to worry about it for awhile. One other thing; I never had this problem until the idler pulley was replaced. I will change that next and then maybe I'll try squirting it with the hose again.

Best regards,
G

I have a 99 Caravan and guess what, it throws belts, no water needed. It's done it since it was new. This is what we did. We replaced the tensioner pulley with a Dayco No Slack Idler/Tensioner Pulley (90 mm flat steel without flange) Part # 89006. It's a little wider than the factory pulley. We also replaced our surpentine belt with a Dayco Poly Cog Serpentine belt
Part # 5060805 which also stopped the squealing issue. I'll keep ya posted. Good luck everyone.

mrbizness1
06-27-2006, 04:49 AM
One other thing; I never had this problem until the idler pulley was replaced. I will change that next and then maybe I'll try squirting it with the hose again.

Best regards,
G

I sprayed and poured water on mine when I had this problem but the belt never came off. It only happened when I drove thru the water.

lady_alia
06-27-2006, 02:59 PM
We just replaced the parts a few days ago. My brother bought the van brand spankin new, and it's always thrown the belt. Oddly enough, never in wet conditions. A couple of weeks ago I had the oil changed and got about 1/2 mile down the road when it popped off, it hadn't rained in a week so I don't know. The new tensioner pulley we put on there is slightly wider than the original one, when we looked down at the belt we noticed that the tensioner pulley was slightly out of line with the rest of the pulleys, so hopefully that will solve the problem. The belt that was squealing was got from autozone, but it was the recommended one. We put the new Dayco poly cog on and it seems to be doing great. I will keep you posted on how it works for us, but I think it's gonna be alright.

oottobo
07-01-2006, 09:40 AM
people having problems with the serpentine belt get the poly cog belt from pep boys it cost 44.00 dollars sure has help my problem

raggpicker
07-24-2006, 11:25 PM
i have a 1996 gc had the same problem with belt comming off when wet folowed all tsbs and found it to be the tension pulley assy. replaced with a autozone tenisioner ,problem came back in 6 months .Went to dodge dealer bought the tensioner from them and have not had a belt come off in over a year knock on wood

MuskratJames
07-25-2006, 06:04 PM
I just changed the serp belt on my 2000 Caravan. Mine doesn't fall off, it shreds. This was the 2nd. time in about 10,000kms. With a new belt on now, I se it is not aligned on the tensioner pulley, which is also new. I'm going to try changing the tensioner assembily, which I've had off today, so I know how to do that. I wil let u know if it makes a difference or not.

Let me see, you must have had the 3.0 on that. We had a pair of '96's with the Mitsu 3.0, and BOTH of them shredded belts at almost the exact same mileage, about 40000 miles. Needless to say, between that and the random stalling we had in one and the trans computer problem we had in the other, we're not too hot on the 3.0l. If we'd gotten another one, we'd probably have gone for the 3.3.

Pwogaman
07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Just great! I've had my 96' GC 3.3 for 109K without a single belt issue - ever. I just replaced the A/C compressor and thought to myself that as long as I'm in there I'll change the belt. Well, I probably jinxed it now. I've since driven about a 100 miles in dry conditions with no problems, but this thread has me afraid of the rain. At least I got a Dayco replacement belt with the cross grooves. In any event, I'll keep the old belt and a 15mm wrench in the back just in case.

My neighbor across the street had a 99 or so GC 3.8 and finally sold it out of frustration because he was throwing the belt all the time. If we had only seen this thread then we might have been able to resolve his problem.

dodges 3
07-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey all. You all talk about throwing belts driving through little puddles. My '95 Voyager, with the bottom splash shield still off, from when I replaced my waterpump, has never thrown a belt. I drove through water about 2" deep last week, during heavy downpours, accelerating, and slowing down with no problems. I think you shouldn't skimp on belts, if your tensioner is new, or recent, and you have a high quality belt, this should help. Assuming all your pulleys line up somewhat......Brad

lady_alia
07-26-2006, 10:40 PM
We've been driving a while on our new pulley and belt, no problems yet, knock on wood! Everyone talks about it coming off while driving in the rain, ours came off on dry days. I think the wider pulley we put on there is really gonna help, our old pulley was clearly out of alignment.

GrayCrane
07-27-2006, 07:44 PM
I was able to finally take of my serpentine belt problem by:

1) I put a new idler assembly. (this took care of the shredding of belts)
2) Removing a idler pulley off my 1988 Olds Cutless Cierra and purchasing another Olds pulley idler from a local auto parts store. (this Sierra the belts from coming off when it gets wet or oil leak.)
3) I replaced the belt with a Goodyear Allegator groved one.

Javert
09-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I had the problem of the serpentine coming off with my '93 Caravan. I recently purchased an '05 with a 3.8L. Does anyone know if Dodge has fixed the problem?

Yes, The belt falling off problem has been fixed from 2001 on. The entire belt drive was completely redesigned. Chrysler also added an alternator decoupler to the belt drive. An alternator decoupler is an alternator pulley with a clutch and a spring inside. The alternator decoupler is one of the components that has helped the belt drive. It is like suspension for the alternator.

For Pre-2001 minivans, 3.0 liter as well as 3.3/3.8L why not check out the kit that Goodyear has come out with. It is a special belt with ribs on both sides as well as a new tensioner and idler pulley. It is an absolute must for Pre-2001 Chrysler minivans. It fixes the belt jumping off issue once and for all.

get2now
09-29-2006, 03:34 PM
As a follow up I ended up also getting an idler pulley (part #38042 from RockAuto) so I now have the Four Seasons tensioner with the lips, an AC Delco idler pulley and a Goodyear Gatorback belt. I added a washer as a spacer to the back of the idler pulley to get the belt centered better and now I can hose it down and it stays on.
I'll still carry a 15mm wrench and spare Gatorback belt with me but I'm not so worried about it anymore.

Javert: Any chance you have a part number for this new fix from Goodyear?

Best regards,
G

Just curious, you say that it's done this since it was new but did you recently install these parts or were those repairs done early on?
I did the four seasons tensioner pulley fix but tried it with a stock OEM serpentine belt. When I squirted water on it with a hose it popped right off. That belt also squeaked when it was on. I changed that belt to the Gator Back belt and it quit squeaking but I was afraid to see what would happen if I squirted it with water. I figure it's summer now so I don't have to worry about it for awhile. One other thing; I never had this problem until the idler pulley was replaced. I will change that next and then maybe I'll try squirting it with the hose again.

Best regards,
G

Javert
10-02-2006, 07:04 AM
No. I do not have the part numbers for the new kits as of yet. Keep checking with your local Goodyear or Gates distributor. The new kits should be available early Dec 2006.

mlee12
10-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Has anyone ever seen this... 1999 Caravan... I had the waterpump replaced at a Dodge dealership and 6 months and 5K miles later one of the radiator fans went out so I went to a different dealership to have it replaced.

They found the belt routed incorrectly "and it was working", however the waterpump was turning in the opposite direction and the belt went around some of the pulleys upside down. Now I'm battling the 1st dealership to get some of my money back but they don't believe it.

Lucky for me dealership #2 took pictures. WOW... and it was the correct belt also.

Javert
10-26-2006, 06:42 AM
Has anyone ever seen this... 1999 Caravan... I had the waterpump replaced at a Dodge dealership and 6 months and 5K miles later one of the radiator fans went out so I went to a different dealership to have it replaced.

They found the belt routed incorrectly "and it was working", however the waterpump was turning in the opposite direction and the belt went around some of the pulleys upside down. Now I'm battling the 1st dealership to get some of my money back but they don't believe it.

Lucky for me dealership #2 took pictures. WOW... and it was the correct belt also.

I don't doubt that this can happen, I have seen it on some other vehicles in the past. It is quite rare. I would like to see the pics. I have even seen the underhood diagram be wrong. What size of engine do you have? Your right, you should go after the 1st dealership with guns a blazin'.

acton mike
10-26-2006, 07:57 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every one wh has had this problem

mlee12
10-30-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm getting a whopping $100 back from the dealership #1 and they still don't believe me. Their Master Mechanic was too good to make a mistake like that. Cost me $965 to get the radiator fans and sensor replaced. Dealership #2 still has the pics, but the large pulleys down low and toward the front of the vehicle and are very close to each other. The belt should have done an "S" curve around them but instead was just routed accross the bottom of both. Not sure how the rest of it worked out, but the belt WAS the correct belt since I purchased and installed it. I was stuck on the side of the road with a thrown belt so I purchased and installed it. While doing the installation I found the water pump pulley loose so I was forced to use the dealership around the corner because I was 80 miles from home. 5 star dealership Allen Samuels in Clear Lake TX. Now they want me to sign a waiver if I take the 100 bucks. Oh well guess I'll just get what I can. It was just too crazy not to post in the forums. Thanks for the reply....

Ivan
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
get some corse SAND PAPER and sand down all the shiny pullys i found taht this fixed my prob after putting on that shield metal piece

mlee12
02-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Never had a belt come off on my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan.

I just had a sorry mechanic put it on backwards and my waterpump was turning the opposite direction. Drove it for 6 months like that. Dealership says it can't happen. Boy are they wrong.

Dodgelady1972
04-23-2007, 06:33 AM
I recently bought a 1996 Dodge grand caravan. I have only owned it for 2 months and I have already had to put on 3 serp belts and a new pulley. The new pulley has already had to be tightened twice :mad: I called the garage that had fixed the van, and they stated that there is a recall on the pulley's used in grand caravans, but I can't find anything that shows this.

Javert
04-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I recently bought a 1996 Dodge grand caravan. I have only owned it for 2 months and I have already had to put on 3 serp belts and a new pulley. The new pulley has already had to be tightened twice I called the garage that had fixed the van, and they stated that there is a recall on the pulley's used in grand caravans, but I can't find anything that shows this.

There is No recall on any of the pulleys and your van is miles out of warranty for chrysler to do anything. If I were you, I would order the gates fix kit and have a mechanic install it for you. It is very simple and works absolutly amazing. The kits are available at almost any parts store but if you can't find the kit, here is a link.

This link is for the 3.3L and 3.8L engines - http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-48526-261-gates-system-solution-micro-v-kit-for-chrysler-33l-and-38l-engines-38379k.aspx

This link is for the 3.0L engine -
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GOO&mfrpartnumber=49204K

webbee
04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Here are the relevant part numbers for the complete fix kit:

Gates Fix kit info:
1996-2000 3.0L V6 = 38342K
1996-2000 3.3L/3.8L V6 = 38379K.
Goodyear
1996-2000 3.0L V6 engine = 49204K
1996-2000 3.3/3.8 V6 engine = 49215K

mrbizness1
04-23-2007, 07:55 PM
I recently bought a 1996 Dodge grand caravan. I have only owned it for 2 months and I have already had to put on 3 serp belts and a new pulley. The new pulley has already had to be tightened twice.

Never heard of a pulley that has come loose. What brand of belts were put on and did they come off in the rain?

Dodgelady1972
04-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, the first time it came off I had went through a puddle. When I took it to the shop after the third time, they said the pulley was vibrating back in forth causing the belt to come off. They then tightened it..it was back off again within a week tho.

big65mopar
12-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I had this happen 8 months ago during a heavy rain, I started forward to make my left turn at an intersection and the belt came off as I hit a deep puddle. I got the belt back on and went to the parts store to get a new one where they told me about this problem and tried to sell me a kit, being that it was a small chain that I never heard of I held off. Since then I've had to remove the a/c comp as it went bad and right now have a bypass pulley and a larger belt for non a/c systems. The diference in the two belts besides size seems to be thickness wich became a problem for me when the new belt tore apart in 6 weeks but I found that it wasnt the reason for the failure it was what someone else did here. My belt had been squeaking and I suspected water on the belt, I had a can of belt dressing and sprayed it on there and within a day the belt had shredded. At another parts zone store I was reading a packet of belt dressing that they sell at the counter and the warning label stated in large type not to put on serp belts.

Now as another person touched on here the cowl drain sits right over the serp belts and several pulleys, if the drain line isnt atached to the drain port then water will get all over the belt and pulleys so the next time your in there changing out the plugs and wires and you've unbolted the alternator to get in there like an Indian snake charmer be sure to check that drain line.

DJRACER
12-28-2007, 09:10 AM
We run alot of the carvans with 3.3l in our business.We have had the same prolbems with belts coming off in the rain.Went to using double ribbed belt set up and no more prolbems.We use a kit from Carquest #38379k.Comes with pulleys and belt.Its a little pricey but the belt wont come off.Hope this will help everyone