How to reset computer 99 Dodge Ram [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: How to reset computer 99 Dodge Ram

99 Dodge Elec B
01-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks :rck:

RAM MAN
01-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Welcome to the forum

to answer you question:

Disconnect NEG Battery Terminal

Turn the ignition key to the START position and hold for 15-20 seconds

Release key (OFF) and reconnect the battery

that will do it

99 Dodge Elec B
01-30-2005, 04:50 PM
How do you obtain the codes with the ignition thingy? Thanks for the other quick reply... :gr_patrio

RAM MAN
01-30-2005, 04:54 PM
1. Ignition switch off
2. Press and hold the trip reset knob
3. Turn the ignition switch to on but do not start.
4. Hold the reset knob for approx 10 seconds or until the word CHEC appears in the display then release.

99 Dodge Elec B
01-30-2005, 05:50 PM
I have a 99 Dodge Ram 318 engine that will not start. :VHOT: I have tried reseting the computer as mentioned above, no check engine codes show up with test shown above and I have tried jumping the battery. :help:

When the truck ignition key is turned you can hear the fuel pump engage and then I try to start it and it will not start. It sounds like it wants to, but just won't start. Anyone have any ideas?

:help: :help: :help:

RAM MAN
01-30-2005, 08:18 PM
hmm

are you sure the starter is OK ?

and when you turn the key, what is the reading on the battery ? (Is it constantly over 14 ?)

99 Dodge Elec B
01-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Nope, the battery is under 14. But when I was trying to jump it from my Jeep Cherokee it did go up to 14. If it was the starter wouldn't it make some type of clicking noise? Everything sounds right except it won't start.

RAM MAN
01-30-2005, 09:18 PM
ok

now it makes me think its your battery

I park my RAM in the winter here in Michigan

with a next to dead battery one winter, when I went out to turn the key, it did just what you said

the reading stayed under 14 on the battery

no starter noise

you could hear the pump engaged

just for the heck of it, take your battery to a place with a tester, and ask them to check it

maybe it just needs a few hours on a trickle charger

maybe the battery is going

either way, it should be well under $10 if it even needs a trickle charger and it will definately rule the battery out one way or another ....

keep us posted

Silver_DodgeRam
01-31-2005, 10:55 PM
What would be the advantage of reseting the computer? Is it necessary to do every once in a whole?

99 Dodge Elec B
01-31-2005, 11:05 PM
I went out this morning and was going to switch batteries, but got called in to work. Left the positive and negative battery connection off and when I got home for lunch, 8hrs later put the connections back on and the truck fired right up. :IDEA: Man, what the heck is goin on. i had my fiance drive it to Advance and they checked the battery and alternator and both were in excellent shape. I am stunned and don't know what to do next.

JamesJ2525
01-31-2005, 11:09 PM
Maybe there was some corossion that came off? Perhaps your ground is not that good? Check it out for any dirt or corrossion. Although, corrosion is generally on the positive terminal.

RAM MAN
02-01-2005, 05:40 AM
What would be the advantage of reseting the computer? Is it necessary to do every once in a whole?
anytime you do any modifications to your truck (i.e. add performance parts) and you want your engines computer to learn and adjust to those parts, you can reset it by doing this

Those computers are built so they learn the way you drive, so even if you didn't - it would eventually learn (I think someone once told me, every 300+ miles or so)

but if you want the changes to go into effect immediately, you reset it

kinda get the full bang for the buck that way

RAM MAN
02-01-2005, 05:41 AM
I went out this morning and was going to switch batteries, but got called in to work. Left the positive and negative battery connection off and when I got home for lunch, 8hrs later put the connections back on and the truck fired right up. :IDEA: Man, what the heck is goin on. i had my fiance drive it to Advance and they checked the battery and alternator and both were in excellent shape. I am stunned and don't know what to do next.
ok that is weird

just for the heck of it - I'd have the battery tested anyway

doesnt cost anything

cmh2007
02-01-2005, 10:02 AM
my 99 did something weird yesterday morning. it turned over for 5-7 seconds, cought then idled really low and died. it did this for four cranks and finally i held on the gas for a little and it kept runing and after about 30 seconds to a minute it stayed running. does anybody know what is going on. i also think it has the origional spark plugs and it has been raining for the past 4 days. ill check the plugs when it drys up.

JamesJ2525
02-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Sounds like some moisure got into the distributor cap.

cmh2007
02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
thanks that confirmedmy suspictions
i think ill go and do a full tune up soon as it dries up here on galvatraz