'08 and up - The Notorious WIN Module [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: '08 and up - The Notorious WIN Module

Lscman
03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Can any '08 to present caravan experts here please advise me whether a $100 Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) Module Receiver can be bought at a dealer and installed without programming it? Dealer procedures for the 2010 L25 WIM safety recall show the use of a special software to read the manufacturer the WIN, but programming and replacement are not discussed because the recall is only to perform a mechanical detent modification.

The WIN is the wireless ignition receptacle you plug your fobik into and twist to start the engine. My '08 SXT minivan has a strange, intermittent "no crank" symptom that many people have reported their dealers successfully fix with a WIN replacement. There are no other symptoms and absolutely no trouble codes or messages so the PCM does not appear to be faulty. I will soon finish testing to prove the trouble is not the starter relay, parking brake switch, starter solenoid and related engine compartment wiring harness.

It appears to me that among other things, the WIN module is basically an ignition key switch with integral 2-way wireless communications interface. Programming or coding of the fobik must match the PCM, so it seems to me like the WIN does not store that coding info. The WIN is simply reading the key code and sending it to the PCM which sees if it's a match for antitheft purposes. If the fobik and pcm are not being changed it seems like a replacement WIN module is possible without special dealer-only programming or flashing tools. The dealers are charging $800 to replace a WIN but I am guessing this is due to the complex troubleshooting involved plus R&R labor.

Lscman
03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I've learned elsewhere the answer is NO. A replacement WIN must be programmed using dealer tools....$100 part and $700 labor, wonderful.

Palmentech766
03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
To the original poster, does your van by chance have a 4.oL??? Also, if you are paying 700 in labor, i wanna work at that shop. It pays 2 hrs plus diag. at the most on 2008-2010 and 3 hrs plus diag. on 2011 and newer.Unless the labor rate in your area is 200/hr.

Lscman
03-22-2013, 07:17 PM
I don't know much other than the retail cost of the WIN and what about a half dozen folks paid to get one replaced. The cost was consistently in the $750 to $800 range but that included diagnosis which may have added a few hours. I doubt if many owners drive into a shop and ask for their WIN to be changed lol. You'd have to first prove the starter, parking switch, solenoid power, grounding, start relay, fobik, PCM, starter bat pos lead and ignition switch + output are not the cause of an intermittent starting condition.