Front Speaker Wire Colors?? [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: Front Speaker Wire Colors??

JasonK94Z
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I am about to install a sub soon, and I am wondering if anyone knows the colors of the front speaker wires. I need to tap into them for this. Not sure where to start looking for them too. If you have done this, is there enough slack in the wire to resolder them after adding a 3rd wire?

Any advice, pointers, tips, would be appreciated!

depunz
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I picked up a PAC AOEM-CHR2 unit that plugs right into the factory wiring and offers 4 RCA outs. I found it for like $45. Super simple to hook up and sounds good. too. I don't remember off the top of my head what the speaker wire colors are but thought I'd let you know about this option.

MonsoonMike
08-28-2012, 02:25 PM
That is probably why he needs to tap into the front speaker wires....

I did the PAC thing as well. Great product. I only needed 1 set of RCA.
I tried to look it up for you but my source doesn't have 2011 Ram.. odd..

IF no one can help you, You will have to remove the front door panels and check the wires at the speaker. Write down what they are.. LEFT + and LEFT - / RIGHT + and RIGHT -.. and then maybe post those in here incase others may need to know.

Hopefully someone can help though..

reckster360
08-28-2012, 02:55 PM
This is what I use
http://www.modifiedlife.com/2009-dodge-ram-1500-car-stereo-installation-diagram/
Hopefully its correct for your truck
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Gray/Red
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: N/A
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Green/Yellow
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Light Blue
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Light Blue
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Light Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray/Dark Green
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Green/Gray
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Light Green

JasonK94Z
08-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I picked up a PAC AOEM-CHR2 unit that plugs right into the factory wiring and offers 4 RCA outs. I found it for like $45. Super simple to hook up and sounds good. too. I don't remember off the top of my head what the speaker wire colors are but thought I'd let you know about this option.

PAC lists this part as only good for 2002 thru 2006 Rams. Cool unit if I knew it would work for my RES stereo.

My Alpine monoblock amp takes speaker level inputs, so i dont really need a module to convert to RCA's. Still have to tap into a pair of speaker wires though.

depunz
08-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Well, I had a RES, Bought a REN off EBAY which was plug n play so I don't know why it wouldn't work with yours.

depunz
08-29-2012, 10:32 AM
It may have been the CHR3 but if you don't need RCA's then you may look for the rear speaker leads in the B pillar. Should be closer to your amp mounting location.

JasonK94Z
08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
It may have been the CHR3 but if you don't need RCA's then you may look for the rear speaker leads in the B pillar. Should be closer to your amp mounting location.

Good idea on the b pillar. I'm just hoping there is enough slack in the wires to cut them, and splice in another wire. they usually pull that stuff pretty tight. Not sure which vampire taps to get if I decide to taop into them that way.
What size is the factroty speaker wire?

cumminsmannow
08-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Ok according to http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/docs/wiring/wiringschematicoptions.pdf

Your factory radio connector should be gray in color with 22 pins. #1 pin should be top right looking at the pins, and looks to be a bigger pin as well as #12... so something like this:

12 -- - - - - - - - - - - -- 1
22 - - - - - - - - - - 13

1. fused b(+) 14 gauge yl/rd tracer
2. can ihs bus (125k -) 22 wt/or
3-7. unused
8. left rear + 18 gy/lg
9. left rear - 18 gy/dg
10. right rear+ 18 dg/lg
11. right rear- 18 dg/gy
12. ground - 14 bk/or
13. can bus (125k +) 22 wt/gy
14-18 unused
19. right front+ 18 dg/vt
20. right front- 18 dg/yl
21. left front+ 18 gy/vt
22. left front- 18 gy/yl

hope this helps!

depunz
08-30-2012, 07:27 AM
You could do like I did when I installed my keyless entry... just strip the wire about 1/4" to 3/8" then wrap the new wire around and tape or even solder the new wire on. Then tape up the splice. That way you don't have to worry about the slack.

Thalvor
01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Note that on my '12 I found that the Mexican factory speakers in the doors were phased backwards in regards to the factory wiring diagram. either Dodges plus and minus wiring was backwards or the speakers themselves are backwards phased. (there were no markings on the speaker to indicate)It wouldn't matter if you replace them all but if you only replace some of the speakers or add a sub you want them in phase. Most sure way is to battery test, a 1.5 batt plus to plus on speak, minus to minus should move the speaker outward.
Interesting to note I found this when installing new speaks using the adapter pigtails from Crutchfield, thier white pos lead interfaced with what Dodge called neg and vice versa. thats when I started reearching and got the test battery out...

RamaLaramie1500
01-13-2013, 06:22 PM
I did a complete renovation of my system. I thought I wrote the colors to all the speakers down them dow somewhere but I can't find it.

One thing to consider is, if you have the alpine system, the color code for the speakers may be diferent before and after the factory amp. I bypassed the factory amp completly and installed a new amp for my door and dash speakers, and a seperate amp for the for the sub.

But if you don't plan to do all that, I suggest pullting the front door panels off, remove the fron speakers so you can see the color of the wire. then you can access the wring harness just inside the fron door near the foot well to get to tap into those wires.
Good Luck!!

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb401/roberttheall/Truck/IMG_3859.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb401/roberttheall/Truck/IMG_3853LargeWebview.jpg

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb401/roberttheall/Truck/IMG_3860.jpg