Eco Mode? [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: Eco Mode?

I_Digg_Durt
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Just thinking out loud but why doesn't it stay in eco mode when I'm just idling at a stop light? Like it will be in eco all the way down to almost a complete stop then it shuts off... Why wouldn't the engineers let it idle in eco. Maybe not if your in tow/haul or something I could understand that but it seems so obvious to me. :gr_patrio

dwins1900
07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Because coming out of a complete stop in 4 cylinder cycle mode would be to difficult for the engine 4 cylinders can only carry the weight of the truck in cruising speeds

MoparCody
07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Ok so heres my guess, again just a guess lol but maybe its so that it dont have to switch from eco to regular when you are trying to take off. Like if you are in a hurry instead of having just 4 cylinders pumping them trying to take off like that they just shut eco down when you are almost at a complete stop so that you have all 8 pumping and get off the line quicker. But thats just my guess as to why. Someone smarter then me might know the actual reason if i am wrong. Lol

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

I_Digg_Durt
07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Because coming out of a complete stop in 4 cylinder cycle mode would be to difficult for the engine 4 cylinders can only carry the weight of the truck in cruising speeds

I get what your saying here but how do some of the new cars completely shut off and turn back on to take off? like if those cars can do it why can't the truck do it from 4 cylinders?

dwins1900
07-09-2012, 08:33 PM
a truck is 6000 pounds a car is 3000 also a truck is meant to tow and haul a car is not, that further complicates things because a truck could have 1800 pounds in the bed or could be hauling a 8k pound trailer.

dmcelhannon
07-09-2012, 08:34 PM
When the engine shuts down, a small electric motor takes over. As soon as you step on the gas, it restarts the engine.

:)

I_Digg_Durt
07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
When the engine shuts down, a small electric motor takes over. As soon as you step on the gas, it restarts the engine.

:)

yeah I get that. I just can't believe that 4 cylinders wouldn't be enough to get it moving and get the switch out of eco when needing a hard acceleration. And like I said right away the truck wouldn't use it in tow/haul mode as obviously more power is needed then.

Miami_Son
07-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm guessing that at idle the engine would shake violently on only 4 cylinders. It doesn't do it at speed because of the active vibration damping at higher RPM.

More2LifeThnMPG
07-09-2012, 11:01 PM
The Eco mode is used when there is the least amount of torque needed. And when taking off from a dead stop, that is the definition of torque needed. Minus if you had something in the bed. It's a lot easier to just kick it off then make the truck think if it needs to or not.
Just my $0.02

Sent while day dreaming...

plumcrazy73
07-10-2012, 08:29 AM
they should make it where it is in FUEL SAVER not ECHO when it is idling in park though and normal in gear.

fuel saver is when the truck kills cylinders echo is when you are driving the greenest so to speak

Miami_Son
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
they should make it where it is in FUEL SAVER not ECHO when it is idling in park though and normal in gear.

fuel saver is when the truck kills cylinders echo is when you are driving the greenest so to speak

Whenever the ECO indicator is on, you are driving on 4 cylinders. There is no "FUEL SAVER" indicator on my 2012.

watkins
07-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Whenever the ECO indicator is on, you are driving on 4 cylinders. There is no "FUEL SAVER" indicator.

both lights exist depending on your year model. both lights indicate the exact same thing, cylinder deactivation.

DodgeCares
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Just thinking out loud but why doesn't it stay in eco mode when I'm just idling at a stop light? Like it will be in eco all the way down to almost a complete stop then it shuts off... Why wouldn't the engineers let it idle in eco. Maybe not if your in tow/haul or something I could understand that but it seems so obvious to me. :gr_patrio

Durt,

The technology you suggest was not included in the truck engines that came out a few years ago and have not been refreshed since. Look for many fuel saving enhancements that will be available with the refresh of the Ram 1500's that are coming for the 2013 model year.

Miami_Son
07-10-2012, 09:23 AM
both lights exist depending on your year model. both lights indicate the exact same thing, cylinder deactivation.

Well, the OP did not specify his year truck, so I'm only going by what is present on my 2012.

I_Digg_Durt
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Well, the OP did not specify his year truck, so I'm only going by what is present on my 2012.

Mine is in fact a 12 and does just have the eco light. I now have about a 1000 miles on and it seems that the more miles it gets the more often it runs in eco on the highway and such. I know there will be some debate over this but I rodded the snot out of it when new to get a better break in and hopefully net better performance in the long run.

sighless
07-10-2012, 05:08 PM
2013 rams shut off at lights.

Heres the new features in the 2013... (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/05/2013-ram-1500-unveiled-with-eight-speed-auto-start-stop-air-su/)

dwins1900
07-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Mine is in fact a 12 and does just have the eco light. I now have about a 1000 miles on and it seems that the more miles it gets the more often it runs in eco on the highway and such. I know there will be some debate over this but I rodded the snot out of it when new to get a better break in and hopefully net better performance in the long run.

I did the same thing to my 12. I have almost 6000 miles on mine now. Its crazy because now I can be driving like 30-40 or so and punch it and get a scratch from that speed. 3rd gear scratch:rck: Its broke in really nice

sighless
07-10-2012, 05:14 PM
lol... must be nice.. post up a video.. but in the meantime, i call bs on squawking em'...

my 2012 is lucky to even give a little chirp from a dead stop.. bone stock with 3.92's and LSD.

I_Digg_Durt
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
lol... must be nice.. post up a video.. but in the meantime, i call bs on squawking em'...

my 2012 is lucky to even give a little chirp from a dead stop.. bone stock with 3.92's and LSD.

I'll try to get a vid as mine will do about the same thing in the same conditions. 3.55 no lsd. I think its just because you get such a hard downshift into 3rd at that speed. I've only done it twice though. I do however barely get a real hard chirp from a stop though. My 05 on the other hand was a tire smoking monster from a start.

dwins1900
07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I'll try to get a vid as mine will do about the same thing in the same conditions. 3.55 no lsd. I think its just because you get such a hard downshift into 3rd at that speed. I've only done it twice though. I do however barely get a real hard chirp from a stop though. My 05 on the other hand was a tire smoking monster from a start.

Mine is a 3:55 gears also and as far as calling b.s. on me I really dont care there are others on here that can do it with the 3:55's also. those with 3:92's have a more difficult time with a burnout for some reason from other threads ive read

lvrr
07-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Early 2009 model Rams built up until December 2008 did not come with any evic indication of "Fuel Saver" or "Eco Mode". Chrysler came out with a flash update for these trucks around June in 2009 that put a "Fuel Saver" indication on the evic when driving in a fuel efficient manner or when 4 cylinder mode was activated.

If I am not mistaken all Rams built after or around December 2008 were built with a different display which indicates "Eco Mode" and also gives you a bar graph of mpg on the evic, pre Decmeber does not have this.

Litos
07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
my truck says ECO.

my 392 Challenger says Fuel Saver Mode.