2013 Ram 1500 - AIR-RIDE SUSPENSION [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: 2013 Ram 1500 - AIR-RIDE SUSPENSION

Bowjack
05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Air-ride set up doesn't mention anything about payload / towing assistance, just off-road, and highway aerodynamic assist. I get the ride part...But what am I missing, and what are they missing ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQfsv1IiMqU&feature=related

phoboss
05-12-2012, 02:59 PM
it lowers for easy loading.

dwins1900
05-12-2012, 03:12 PM
This is such a great feature if your older or short its easier to get in, it improves fuel economy, has better off road capabilities. I would probably ride around in mine in off road 2 so its looks lifted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOt7UPi4RA8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpjE2pf9bKM

Bowjack
05-13-2012, 07:47 AM
This is such a great feature if your older or short its easier to get in, it improves fuel economy, has better off road capabilities. I would probably ride around in mine in off road 2 so its looks lifted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOt7UPi4RA8This is it, the thing I thought I / Engineers missed! It just didn't make any sense to me to have to deal with load sagging after announcing the OEM Air-Ride Suspension. Marchionne isn't f/n around.

Thanks man!

Dillyw
05-13-2012, 10:23 PM
That's brilliant , good way to stay ahead of others.

dmcelhannon
05-13-2012, 10:35 PM
The '92 Buick PA has an air ride system and when I had to replace the rear shock, it was real expensive!

:(

LaidNeon
05-14-2012, 01:48 AM
does this mean we are going to start seeing the rams sagging in the rear when the bags go out?? kinda like the expeditions & lincolns??

I KING RAM I
05-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Wow that is pretty impressive stuff.. the big question is if you option for this new air suspension setup will you be able to run a lift kit or larger tires?

wyat72
05-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Wow that is pretty impressive stuff.. the big question is if you option for this new air suspension setup will you be able to run a lift kit or larger tires?

I have a feeling the guys who want to run lifts or larger tires, aren't going to care if the air lift system gives them 2.2 inches of additional lift.

Most lifts seem to be 4 or more inches. Why spend the extra for the air lift, when most lifts give them more?

The system will be more to maintain, but those systems of the 90's were crap. Tech has improved a lot since then, and I bet this system will last at least 100 to 150k. Look at the air system on semi's; my brother has driven almost a million miles since he started hauling, but has had only 1 bag fail in those years. I'm not worried in the least about the durability of the system.

zabman
05-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Thats the only feature Ilike on the new Ram.No use for the stop/start or the goofy button for shifting.I like to hear my truck idling and I like the console shifter.

VernL
05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
It will be a cost and probably trim level option. Those who buy a truck with the goal of a dramatic lift or dramatically larger tires will not opt for the air suspension.

JJP71584
05-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I agree, air ride is something I wish my current truck had, everything else...meh

wyat72
05-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Thats the only feature Ilike on the new Ram.No use for the stop/start or the goofy button for shifting.I like to hear my truck idling and I like the console shifter.

You and I agree on the stop/start, I don't do enough idling to justify that, but I can see the benefit of it, and with gas only going to go higher in the future, more people will start seeing it as a benefit. As for the rotary dial shifter, I love it. Saves so much room, and makes the console and bench seats so much more useful. With the newer generations of transmissions going to electric shift actuators instead of manual, I believe buttons and dials will be the next evolution of shifters.

The grill shutters are a good idea too, a little worried how they plan on keeping them functional in freezing mist, or dirt infested environments, but that is why they have much smarter people working on the trucks then me. But with the gas prices that keep going up, I bet both Ford and GM will have a similar system in place within the next couple of model years.

RoyJ
05-15-2012, 01:31 AM
Air-ride set up doesn't mention anything about payload / towing assistance, just off-road, and highway aerodynamic assist. I get the ride part...But what am I missing, and what are they missing ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQfsv1IiMqU&feature=related

Well, they mentioned a 3150lbs max payload for the 2013 Ram, which if I'm not mistaken, exceeds any current 1/2 ton Ram, or any 1/2 ton for that matter (don't think the F150 payload pkg offer that much.

Bowjack
05-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Just found the article on the 2013 Ram Air-Ride Suspension 3,150 lbs. max payload you posted, very good...RoyJ
If this "deal" lives up to it's billing, they will have to "katy bar the door" on a whole bunch of folks who have own more than one Ram before!
Everything I complained about the 4G, they keep fixing:YO:
1.Tranny
2.Saggin
3.Ride Height?

Bowjack
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
AIR RIDE http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2013/ram_1500/

MAX PAYLOAD 1,417 to 1,458 lbs. From Std to CC Hemi - AND MORE ! http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/?section=light

ozplanet
05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
The thing about ram is they never play the payload or towing game. I remember reading an article about this and it has little to do with the truck or the engine. It has everything to do with the hitch. Ram realized a long time ago that most consumers purchase an after market hitch. So why put the money into a factory hitch just so they can advertise higher numbers then only to have the hitch replaced with aftermarket.

wyat72
05-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Just found the article on the 2013 Ram Air-Ride Suspension 3,150 lbs. max payload you posted, very good...RoyJ
If this "deal" lives up to it's billing, they will have to "katy bar the door" on a whole bunch of folks who have own more than one Ram before!
Everything I complained about the 4G, they keep fixing:YO:
1.Tranny
2.Saggin
3.Ride Height?

3150 is the exact amount the 1500 tradesman HD can haul, I'm wondering if they are just quoting that number again for the max on the 1500s.

Edit, I guess the max for the tradesman HD is 3125. But that is still close enough that I'm wondering if they are just using those numbers.

rblochli
05-18-2012, 06:28 AM
I didn't confirm this, but the dealer told me that the air ride option on the Grand Cherokee was just north of $2K, he didn't know what it would cost on the Ram yet. Really cool feature.

wyat72
05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
I didn't confirm this, but the dealer told me that the air ride option on the Grand Cherokee was just north of $2K, he didn't know what it would cost on the Ram yet. Really cool feature.

According to the Jeep website the quadra-lift suspension only comes with "offroad advanture II package" which costs $1655. That package also comes with tow hooks, skid plates, and tow setup. So as a stand alone option it might be around $1200.

lancelanz
05-19-2012, 04:09 PM
i am curious to see how a lowering kit will play into the new suspension system for us that go lower.