When is the new eight speed automatic transmission going to be available? [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: When is the new eight speed automatic transmission going to be available?

ZPirate
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Several of the car magazines in reviewing the new Durango have said that a new eight speed automatic transmission is on the way for the Durango. The current five speed transmission has also been one of the biggest complaints about the new D I've seen in those same articles. Anyone know when the new eight speed transmission is supposed to be available for the new Durango?

shelbymopar89
04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I am not sure either, but would like to know also. I agree with you on the articles claiming that is the new Durango's biggest need of improvement. What I don't get is I see an 8 speed transmission as something Dodge would do in a few years from now, after the coolness has worn off to spark new buzz and get them selling again....I find it odd that less than a year after they released a new vehicle, they will release an updated transmission??? Any way you cut it I am planning on waiting till December to purchase in hopes that the bigger navigation screen and the 8 speed transmission make it into the 2012's. I wonder how much the 8 speed will help the HEMI with MPG's??? There is also a big place in my heart wanting the Grand Wagoneer to come out for 2012, that would drive me away from the Durango......

Ram3500Dually
04-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Kokomo Transmission is being upgraded right now to start producing the 8 speed. First vehicle to get it will be the Charger/300/Challenger very shortly as late entry 2011's. Once everything is going smooth there it will be carried on to the rest of the Hemi lineup including the 1500 Rams and the Durango/Jeeps.

ZPirate
04-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks Ram3500Dually! Although I hadn't heard anything official I suspected that the new 8 speed automatic was going to be used across most of the Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep line of vehicles. Based on your comments is the 8 speed auto intended to only be used with the Hemi powered vehicles?

shelbymopar89
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Looks like it will be going behind both the six and eight bangers....
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/14/report-pentastar-v6-models-first-to-get-zf-eight-speed-autos-at/

ZPirate
04-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks. I just did some looking around on Allpar and it confirms that the new 8 speed will be used on both the V-6 and V-8 engines. I guess we will have to wait until the 2012's come out to start seeing the transmission in vehicles.

Unfortunately I didn't think about checking Allpar first. I used to have it in my favorites until I got a new computer.

screwballl
05-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I was doing some digging and the information out there seems to be "rumors" with nothing official that I have seen yet. Part of the reason for this is I see mentions of both a 7 speed and an 8 speed transmission.
Until we get official word, we will just have to wait and see, but I bet it will be the big fix these Durangos really need, dropping these outdated Daimler bugs.

JPFITZ55
05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
From what i have heard they are not supossed to hit the Durangos till 2013. The 8 speed is suposed to go in alot of Dodges vehicles to meet the new EPA requirements!

boostjunkie1
05-09-2011, 06:53 PM
The V8's will get the 8-SPD....
The V6's will get the 8-SPD.... In the Durango's

They are making a 9-SPD Tranny for the FWD Cars and Minivans/SUV's

I'm gonna say around the first of 2012 we will start seeing them in the D's .... I have already made my mind up on waiting for the 8-SPD to come out and let all the early birds get the kinks out of them ;)

wyat72
05-11-2011, 04:42 PM
The V8's will get the 8-SPD....
The V6's will get the 8-SPD.... In the Durango's

They are making a 7-SPD Tranny for the FWD Cars and Minivans/SUV's

I'm gonna say around the first of 2012 we will start seeing them in the D's .... I have already made my mind up on waiting for the 8-SPD to come out and let all the early birds get the kinks out of them ;)

No 7 speed will be made.

There will be a 6 speed dual clutch from Fiat for the 4 bangers.

A 9 speed for the FWD and the FWD biased AWD V6s.

An 8 speed for the RWD, the RWD biased AWD, and 4x4 V6s and V8s.

By the way it sounds the 6.7 Cummins will soldier on with the 68RFE. However, because there is a version of the ZF 8 speed that can handle 700+ ft lbs of torque, don't be surprised to see it behind the Cummins in the future.

Ram3500Dually
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
By the way it sounds the 6.7 Cummins will soldier on with the 68RFE. However, because there is a version of the ZF 8 speed that can handle 700+ ft lbs of torque, don't be surprised to see it behind the Cummins in the future.

700 pounds won't do any good. The new CTD that started being installed in the Rams on May 1st are 800 ft lbs.....

boostjunkie1
05-11-2011, 07:00 PM
No 7 speed will be made.

There will be a 6 speed dual clutch from Fiat for the 4 bangers.

A 9 speed for the FWD and the FWD biased AWD V6s.An 8 speed for the RWD, the RWD biased AWD, and 4x4 V6s and V8s.

YEP....a 9-SPD! That is what I meant :crazy:

wyat72
05-11-2011, 08:28 PM
700 pounds won't do any good. The new CTD that started being installed in the Rams on May 1st are 800 ft lbs.....

That is why I put plus. On ZF's website it shows 1000+ N.M. of torque. That is something like 735 pounds. Still not enough, but I assume that if it can handle 735 it wont take much changes to make it handle 800+.

Torque
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
From what i have heard they are not supossed to hit the Durangos till 2013. The 8 speed is suposed to go in alot of Dodges vehicles to meet the new EPA requirements!

If it's anything like the 5-45RFE, this new 8 speed will have 4 overdrive ratios LOL

boostjunkie1
06-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Looks like the future transmission will be the updated 6-spd based off the 545rfe auto that is currently being used. I know that this will be used in the RAM 1500's with a slightly refined version for the 2500 RAMs with the HEMI.... So I'm not sure when or if the 8-SPD will be installed into the Durangos so soon....:rolleyes:

screwballl
06-27-2011, 06:36 PM
The latest info I saw was an updated 545rfe (645rfe?) MAY be possible with the 2012 Durangos, and then late 2012 or 2013 Durango models (both engines) likely to get the new 8 speed if they can get enough cranked out.

This may be a mute point anyways as the moron in chief is forcing new CAFE standards which could cause many companies to either jack up SUV/truck prices to comply with the new equipment or simply cut production and push more cars/small SUVs.

The new CAFE standards apply to model years 2012-2016 for all passenger vehicles sold in the United States, including cars, light trucks and SUVs. Significant improvements in fuel efficiency will be required of all new vehicles in 2012 model, with yearly gains of 5 percent or more in subsequent years.

By 2016, automakers’ passenger vehicle fleets must achieve a combined average fuel-economy standard of 35.5 mpg—39 mpg for cars and 30 mpg for light trucks and SUVs—a 40 percent improvement over current standards.

30 mpg by 2016 for our SUVs? ahahahahahahaha
This will literally kill sales of every vehicle aside from small cars.

wyat72
07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
A couple of sites on the internet are saying the Grand Cherokee V6 is getting the 8 speed for the 2012 model year. I would assume, because the GC and the D are made at the same factory, the D would get it this year (2012s) as well. BTW the Jeep is also getting a price DECREASE!!!

Link (http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep-adds-eight-speed-automatic-to-2012-grand-cherokee.html)

EDIT:
Just read an article on allpar saying that the info on the 2012 is false. No 8 speed for the 2012s.

ssorange
07-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Just got to see the 2012 Chrysler Fleet Buyer's Guide and it lists the Durango power options as:

3.6L 290hp/260 lb-ft FIVE-SPEED automatic

5.7L Hemi 360hp/390 lb-ft SIX-SPEED automatic

No other transmission options are listed for the Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee. The eight-speed in listed in the V-6 rear drive passenger car platforms only.

It does say the following at the bottom of the spec sheet so I am still holding out hope for the eight-speed in the V6 Durango: "Chrysler Group LLC reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice or obligation. All product specifications are based on authorized information as of 5/10/11."

My bet is ZF can't produce enough 8-speeds to satisfy Chryslers needs. With the new CAFE standards hitting passenger vehicles hardest, my bet is they are going to consume all the ZF production.
Just my opinion.

Ram3500Dually
07-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Just got to see the 2012 Chrysler Fleet Buyer's Guide and it lists the Durango power options as:

3.6L 290hp/260 lb-ft FIVE-SPEED automatic

5.7L Hemi 360hp/390 lb-ft SIX-SPEED automatic

No other transmission options are listed for the Durango or Jeep Grand Cherokee. The eight-speed in listed in the V-6 rear drive passenger car platforms only.

It does say the following at the bottom of the spec sheet so I am still holding out hope for the eight-speed in the V6 Durango: "Chrysler Group LLC reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice or obligation. All product specifications are based on authorized information as of 5/10/11."

My bet is ZF can't produce enough 8-speeds to satisfy Chryslers needs. With the new CAFE standards hitting passenger vehicles hardest, my bet is they are going to consume all the ZF production.
Just my opinion.

Chrysler is putting an addition on to Kokomo to build the transmissions themselves...

ssorange
07-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Chrysler is putting an addition on to Kokomo to build the transmissions themselves...

Any idea of a time when the facility will be on line? I did also read something about a $300M partnership with ZF for a factory here in the US. Is this the same plant you are talking about?

boostjunkie1
07-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Any idea of a time when the facility will be on line? I did also read something about a $300M partnership with ZF for a factory here in the US. Is this the same plant you are talking about?

YES.... This has been in the works for a year now! Once they get the manuf-up and running MOST if not ALL of the new 8 & 9 Speed Trannies will be coming out of the U.S.A.

ssorange
07-19-2011, 12:54 AM
YES.... This has been in the works for a year now! Once they get the manuf-up and running MOST if not ALL of the new 8 & 9 Speed Trannies will be coming out of the U.S.A.

Thanks for the info!!

You wouldn't happen to know if they are changing the gear ratios next year in the 6 speed transmission that is hooked up to the 5.7 in the Durango? It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong (as I often am) that the transmission is basically the same for 2012 but with some kind of software update.

My dad is considering buying a 2011 leftover Durango, but if the transmission is significantly different/improved, he would wait for the 2012s.

Thanks again.

boostjunkie1
07-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info!!

You wouldn't happen to know if they are changing the gear ratios next year in the 6 speed transmission that is hooked up to the 5.7 in the Durango? It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong (as I often am) that the transmission is basically the same for 2012 but with some kind of software update.

My dad is considering buying a 2011 leftover Durango, but if the transmission is significantly different/improved, he would wait for the 2012s.

Thanks again.

Either way I would wait for the 6-spd ....... It is a Control Logic Change for the D's and the 1500's..... It will be a internal gearing and Trans-Logic change in the 2500 HEMI's. I can gurantee that it will be allot better as far as shifting up through the gears and down-shifting to the RIGHT Gear when called for. The 545rfe (5-spd) currently used is a dependable tranny for sure! I HATE Automatics with a passion but the new Electronically Controlled ones are allot better than the pressure controlled ones of the past. Line pressures can be maintained thus extending the life of the internals/tranny....

WAIT for a 2012 with the updated 6-spd.....!

AP
07-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Kokomo Transmission is being upgraded right now to start producing the 8 speed. First vehicle to get it will be the Charger/300/Challenger very shortly as late entry 2011's. Once everything is going smooth there it will be carried on to the rest of the Hemi lineup including the 1500 Rams and the Durango/Jeeps.

We might be getting the contract to build the mold dies for em:cool: We don't know for a fact or not. They expanded their facility to do a lot of " In House " stuff. Currently we are really busy for Kokomo Casting Plants right now.:cool: Work for us:)

ssorange
07-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Either way I would wait for the 6-spd ....... It is a Control Logic Change for the D's and the 1500's..... It will be a internal gearing and Trans-Logic change in the 2500 HEMI's. I can gurantee that it will be allot better as far as shifting up through the gears and down-shifting to the RIGHT Gear when called for. The 545rfe (5-spd) currently used is a dependable tranny for sure! I HATE Automatics with a passion but the new Electronically Controlled ones are allot better than the pressure controlled ones of the past. Line pressures can be maintained thus extending the life of the internals/tranny....

WAIT for a 2012 with the updated 6-spd.....!

But is the "6 speed" worth loosing a $5300 price discount? What do you think? I told my dad to wait but he is pestering me about the price.

boostjunkie1
07-22-2011, 07:11 PM
But is the "6 speed" worth loosing a $5300 price discount? What do you think? I told my dad to wait but he is pestering me about the price.

If he can be patient...the 6-SPD Durango's will be selling at that -5,000 or lower when the new 8-SPD get's put into them!

If he wants one NOW-----By all means tell him to go ahead and get one! $5,000 is not enough off to make me want to pull the trigger right now on one..... More like 7-8k off then I would do it!

kingofwylietx
07-23-2011, 02:12 PM
My two cents is that I wouldn't wait, if I wanted one. There is always something new and improved each year for a vehicle. If the 6 speed is worth waiting for.....when you can get a 5 (only one extra cog). How in the world could you buy the 6 speed model when you know a 8 speed will be coming (2 more gears!). It's never-ending. Then, you consider the 8 speed and then you start hearing about a new motor. Eventually, there will be an update to the body and you'll have to wait for that.

I voted with my money and picked up an R/T. I'm sure that there would be some improvement (with an extra gear), but I probably couldn't tell the difference. If you get the Hemi, that well known 5 speed moves it around quite well. And, really, do you think your dad is going to notice any real change between the transmissions? The professional magazine guys can tell a difference, because they are paid good money to be able to tell a difference between subtle changes. It's what they do for a living. The stuff that bugs them rarely even shows up on my radar.....same for the stuff they think is really great....rarely on my radar.

I'll wait for a different transmission when they attach it to something truly spectacular...like a nuclear reactor that will run on max for 20 years and not need refueling.....all the while being perfectly safe. Yep, that's what I'll wait for.

wyat72
07-24-2011, 06:47 PM
The 6 speed in the 2012s is NOT worth waiting for. It is just a recalibrated/renamed 545RFE. It doesn't shift any different compaired to the 545RFE in normal driving circumstances.

Ram3500Dually
07-24-2011, 07:12 PM
The 6 speed in the 2012s is NOT worth waiting for. It is just a recalibrated/renamed 545RFE. It doesn't shift any different compaired to the 545RFE in normal driving circumstances.

Make sure you state the 6 speed in the 1500 Hemi, the new 6 speed in the 2500 Hemi is a complete different animal....

Torque
07-25-2011, 09:50 AM

I'd like to see what the ratios are of this 'new' 6 speed. The current 5-45RFE is a POS for towing in the mountains with only 2 gears below 1:1. If the new 6 speed in the 1500s/Durango is recalibrated to move two gears before 1:1 and have just one OD gear, it would be worlds better than the current 5-45. I doubt that'll happen though. The 8 speed is the one I'll wait for. Unless the new 6 and 8 speeds are going to play the prime gear game and still be the same crappy gear ratios with all these different prime ratios for kick down.

ssorange
07-25-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd like to see what the ratios are of this 'new' 6 speed. The current 5-45RFE is a POS for towing in the mountains with only 2 gears below 1:1. If the new 6 speed in the 1500s/Durango is recalibrated to move two gears before 1:1 and have just one OD gear, it would be worlds better than the current 5-45. I doubt that'll happen though. The 8 speed is the one I'll wait for. Unless the new 6 and 8 speeds are going to play the prime gear game and still be the same crappy gear ratios with all these different prime ratios for kick down.

Yeah, after this discussion, this is exactly where I stand on this issue, now. But my father is hot to buy a 2011 b/c of the discounts.

Any idea of how I can find out what the ratios will be on the "new" transmission?

Thanks!

wyat72
07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah, after this discussion, this is exactly where I stand on this issue, now. But my father is hot to buy a 2011 b/c of the discounts.

Any idea of how I can find out what the ratios will be on the "new" transmission?

Thanks!

There is no difference between the ratios of the 2011 and 2012 transmissions behind the hemi Durango. It is the exact same transmission, just a different shift logic. Make sure your father buys now.

The ONLY hemi that is getting a better geared trans are the hemis in the 2500 Rams.

Torque
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
So the extra gear is gonna be another kick down/prime gear?

wyat72
07-27-2011, 02:10 PM
So the extra gear is gonna be another kick down/prime gear?

You are making this way too confusing. The new "6" speed in the Durango is just a renamed 545RFE. It is geared exactly the same as the 545RFE and shifts exactly the same durring normal driving.

The extra gear in the "new" trans, is the same 2nd prime in the 545RFE, just renamed "3rd."

Torque
07-27-2011, 02:42 PM
You are making this way too confusing. The new "6" speed in the Durango is just a renamed 545RFE. It is geared exactly the same as the 545RFE and shifts exactly the same durring normal driving.

The extra gear in the "new" trans, is the same 2nd prime in the 545RFE, just renamed "3rd."

If that is the case, quit referring to the new trans as a 6 speed. If it only uses 5 gears upshifting till it's in top gear, most of us would call that a five speed. By your logic, I already have a six speed.

kingofwylietx
07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
If that is the case, quit referring to the new trans as a 6 speed. If it only uses 5 gears upshifting till it's in top gear, most of us would call that a five speed. By your logic, I already have a six speed.

I think Dodge is calling it a 6 for marketing purposes. The big difference, if I am correct, is that the new '6-speed' will allow you to select an additional gear [3rd/prior 2nd kickdown] when in manual shift mode....which is a gear you can't access right now...even manually. In full auto mode, it performs exactly as 545rfe.

For 99.9999999% of the time......it's the same ole 5-speed.

boostjunkie1
07-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? From what I read the transmission will be using what was the 2nd PRIME as 3rd gear when accelerating and basically hitting that 3rd Gear while downshifting?????? The 2500's are getting new gears and will be a beefier 6-spd

wyat72
07-30-2011, 02:30 PM

That is quite the dickish response on your part. I only referred to the "new" trans once as a 6 speed without quotes. I was replying to another's persons post, telling them it wasn't worth waiting another model year to by a D, because it was the same trans.

If that one time I didn't you quotes confused you that much, that is your fault not mine.

jasonsdakota
08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
i was under the understanding that we would have 6 nicely spaced ratios. it is only considered "reprogrammed" because it would be using what is now 2nd prime as 3rd, effectively adding a forward gear. this is great, as we will go from 3 gears to drive, to 4 gears to drive, with 2-3 shift being much closer together, keeping rpms up for towers. also, 5th gear (which will soon be 6th) will be spaced further away, giving us a real second overdrive. many people, including myself complain that 4th and 5th are so close together they are essentially the same gear! for most of us 2011 has 4 gears, and 2012 will have 6. it is a much much better setup if it is as i understand it. we'll know when they start hitting the lots

boostjunkie1
08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Get a 2500 and you will have the BEST of ALL WORLDS!!!! HEMI POWER with a Stout and properly geared 6-SPD Auto!

screwballl
08-13-2011, 01:13 PM
This new 8 spd tranny may be on hold since this moron US government is forcing crazy mileage requirements due by 2016, which some companies may be starting during the 2012-14 models. The latest info says they want all new light trucks (which includes new Durangos) to be at 35 mpg by 2016, a FAR reach from the current 16 mpg, and 44 mpg by 2025. Essentially killing the mid to full size truck segment.

Ram3500Dually
08-13-2011, 01:24 PM
The new 8 speed tranny is HOW they are going to get the fuel mileage.......

screwballl
08-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Its already been shown that going from the 545RFE to the 8 spd only adds 1-2 mpg on the V6.... With these new standards, Chrysler will likely be putting the new Mercedes 8 spd on hold until they get the new 2016 standards figured out.

Ram3500Dually
08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Its already been shown that going from the 545RFE to the 8 spd only adds 1-2 mpg on the V6.... With these new standards, Chrysler will likely be putting the new Mercedes 8 spd on hold until they get the new 2016 standards figured out.

What new Mercedes are you talking about? The new ZF transmission has NOTHING to do with Mercedes...... Oh, and they are already building the new plant and retooling at Kokomo to build the ZF so there is nothing on hold about it.

wyat72
08-14-2011, 04:43 AM

Why would they delay putting a trans in that is 15% more FE then the 5 speed?

The answer is, they wouldn't. The only reason why they arent in the vehicles now is because they have to import them at a much higher cost, then jsut building them.

Hemi+ZF=Bingo
08-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Window sticker on a 2011 Durango Citadel 5.7 V8 reads: "Transmission:5-Speed Automatic Transmission".

Window sticker on a 2012 Durango Citadel 5.7 V8 reads: "Transmission:6-Speed Automatic 65RFE Transmission"

Does anybody know what the 65RFE transmission is? We can read that it's a 6 speed. The question is, of what technology? If not a ZF derivative, then I hold some angst that Chrysler doesn't intend the ZF for the Durango. It could be just an interim drivetrain refinement. Perhaps hinting at that, note that, wherever Chrysler doesn't have to be spec technical, they refer to this transmission as "Multi-speed", in their Durango blurb anyway.

If Chrysler has dropped in an existing 6 speed tranny as a stopgap then you've gotta surmise that the "needs the ZF 8 speed" knock from reviewers has tweaked them. Will they switch yet again in model year 2013 to the ZF 8 speed? A one-year interim solution seems reactionary to me, not to mention an ongoing hassle for dealer maintenance. It'll be interesting to see how this goes over in the car rags.

AP
08-30-2011, 06:46 AM
Since I'm on my cell phone. I copied a link that will tell you about the 65-RFE. I just hope it works. Scroll down some and it will tell ya about it. Alsoon the site with a search, it will tell you about the new tranny.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/545RFE.html

AP
08-30-2011, 06:58 AM
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

wyat72
08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Window sticker on a 2011 Durango Citadel 5.7 V8 reads: "Transmission:5-Speed Automatic Transmission".

Window sticker on a 2012 Durango Citadel 5.7 V8 reads: "Transmission:6-Speed Automatic 65RFE Transmission"

Does anybody know what the 65RFE transmission is? We can read that it's a 6 speed. The question is, of what technology? If not a ZF derivative, then I hold some angst that Chrysler doesn't intend the ZF for the Durango. It could be just an interim drivetrain refinement. Perhaps hinting at that, note that, wherever Chrysler doesn't have to be spec technical, they refer to this transmission as "Multi-speed", in their Durango blurb anyway.

If Chrysler has dropped in an existing 6 speed tranny as a stopgap then you've gotta surmise that the "needs the ZF 8 speed" knock from reviewers has tweaked them. Will they switch yet again in model year 2013 to the ZF 8 speed? A one-year interim solution seems reactionary to me, not to mention an ongoing hassle for dealer maintenance. It'll be interesting to see how this goes over in the car rags.

Go back and READ this whole thread. I'm not going to post the SAME thing twice in one thread.

Hemi+ZF=Bingo
08-31-2011, 02:30 AM
I took the link provided by AP (thanks AP) on the 65RFE transmission and see now that it is the 6 speed successor to the 545RFE and was much discussed above. I had indeed read this entire thread, but missed the lead provided by the common .....RFE designation. Now more familiar (I highly recommend AP's link) I agree with WYAT72 that the new 6 speed is an inconsequential upgrade. I'm even more dismayed that Chrysler went this direction. Looks like a marketing strategy, to give the appearance of an incremental step from the 545RFE 5 speed to the much-anticipated ZF 8 speed by putting the 65RFE 6 speed in between. I think it's silly, but am ready to forgive Chrysler if they get enough ZF 8 production out of the new factory to put that fabulous tranny in the Durango. Finally, I'll say again that it is noteworthy that Chrysler is often found referring to the 6 speed 65RFE as a "multispeed" transmission. (Aren't all of Chrysler's auto transmissions "multispeed"?) I take the "multispeed" moniker as a marketing attempt to obscure the sharp contrast between the older transmission technology still residing in the 2012 Durango, and the new ZF 8 speed Chrysler is forced by CAFE to give to the Charger first. That obfuscation won't work on readers of this thread (great), but might throw off the uninitiated shopper. Thanks to all, even WYAT72!

Hemi+ZF=Bingo
08-31-2011, 02:37 AM
I took the link provided by AP (thanks AP) on the 65RFE transmission and see now that it is the 6 speed successor to the 545RFE and was much discussed above. I had indeed read this entire thread, but missed the lead provided by the common .....RFE designation. Now more familiar (I highly recommend AP's link) I agree with WYAT72 that the new 6 speed is an inconsequential upgrade. I'm even more dismayed that Chrysler went this direction. Looks like a marketing strategy, to give the appearance of an incremental step from the 545RFE 5 speed to the much-anticipated ZF 8 speed by putting the 65RFE 6 speed in between. I think it's silly, but am ready to forgive Chrysler if they get enough ZF 8 production out of the new factory to put that fabulous tranny in the Durango.

I'll say again that it is noteworthy that Chrysler is often found referring to the 6 speed 65RFE as a "multispeed" transmission in their 2012 Durango blurb. (Isn't any transmission with more than one gear "multispeed"?) I take the "multispeed" moniker as a marketing attempt to obscure the sharp contrast between the older transmission technology still residing in the 2012 Durango, and the new ZF 8 speed Chrysler is forced by CAFE to give to the Charger first. That obfuscation won't work on readers of this thread, but might throw off the uninitiated shopper. Thanks to all, even WYAT72!

Torque
08-31-2011, 09:49 AM
It's disappointing, but a move in the right direction. Towing in the mountains with the 545 is a PITA. Having something between 2nd and 3rd would be a huge benefit to keep the engine in the power band and moving forward. My truck has never used 2P when downshifting going up a hill with a load on it. If the 65RFE makes use of the 2P ratio full time, it'll be a good stop gap till the 8 speed hits.

wyat72
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
I took the link provided by AP (thanks AP) on the 65RFE transmission and see now that it is the 6 speed successor to the 545RFE and was much discussed above. I had indeed read this entire thread, but missed the lead provided by the common .....RFE designation. Now more familiar (I highly recommend AP's link) I agree with WYAT72 that the new 6 speed is an inconsequential upgrade. I'm even more dismayed that Chrysler went this direction. Looks like a marketing strategy, to give the appearance of an incremental step from the 545RFE 5 speed to the much-anticipated ZF 8 speed by putting the 65RFE 6 speed in between. I think it's silly, but am ready to forgive Chrysler if they get enough ZF 8 production out of the new factory to put that fabulous tranny in the Durango.

I'll say again that it is noteworthy that Chrysler is often found referring to the 6 speed 65RFE as a "multispeed" transmission in their 2012 Durango blurb. (Isn't any transmission with more than one gear "multispeed"?) I take the "multispeed" moniker as a marketing attempt to obscure the sharp contrast between the older transmission technology still residing in the 2012 Durango, and the new ZF 8 speed Chrysler is forced by CAFE to give to the Charger first. That obfuscation won't work on readers of this thread, but might throw off the uninitiated shopper. Thanks to all, even WYAT72!

Sorry for being a dick about your post; I had a long day at work and was just trying to wind down. I guess your post just flipped the "no time for BS" switch.

wyat72
08-31-2011, 01:06 PM
It's disappointing, but a move in the right direction. Towing in the mountains with the 545 is a PITA. Having something between 2nd and 3rd would be a huge benefit to keep the engine in the power band and moving forward. My truck has never used 2P when downshifting going up a hill with a load on it. If the 65RFE makes use of the 2P ratio full time, it'll be a good stop gap till the 8 speed hits.

That is the dumb thing about the 65RFE. The only time it will upshift into, what the 545RFE considers, 2nd prime is when you manually do it using Electronic Range Select. If you let the computer do the shifting, like 99% of people do, the 65RFE shifts just like a 545RFE.

screwballl
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Read a little info, apparently the 8spd (845RE) will be used in a few Chrysler model year 2012 vehicles (a mid year refresh I believe) that use the new 3.6L Pentastar V6: 2012 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.

The Hemi engine models will still have the old 545RFE (or updated 6 speed auto 645RE). Apparently during the road test, they drove the Chrysler 300 Limited AWD with V6 and it was running at 1600RPM at 70 mph. Not bad, considering my 04 Durango is running at 1900 RPM at 70 mph (3.55 ratio).

Even the new SRT8 Cherokee, Charger and 300 will still get stuck with the 545RFE behind the tweaked 6.4L Hemi.

The 2012 Jeep is also getting the new 3.6L Pentastar V6, but still backed with either the 6 speed manual (635??) or 5 speed 545RFE (this is the only 2012 model that gets a manual transmission behind the newer engine).

wyat72
09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Read a little info, apparently the 8spd (845RE) will be used in a few Chrysler model year 2012 vehicles (a mid year refresh I believe) that use the new 3.6L Pentastar V6: 2012 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.

The Hemi engine models will still have the old 545RFE (or updated 6 speed auto 645RE). Apparently during the road test, they drove the Chrysler 300 Limited AWD with V6 and it was running at 1600RPM at 70 mph. Not bad, considering my 04 Durango is running at 1900 RPM at 70 mph (3.55 ratio).

Even the new SRT8 Cherokee, Charger and 300 will still get stuck with the 545RFE behind the tweaked 6.4L Hemi.

The 2012 Jeep is also getting the new 3.6L Pentastar V6, but still backed with either the 6 speed manual (635??) or 5 speed 545RFE (this is the only 2012 model that gets a manual transmission behind the newer engine).

Because we have had so much confusion on this thread already, I'm going to clarify your post a bit.

All of the 2012 Charger and 300 V6s will have the 8 speed offered or come standard, it will not be a midyear update.

The SRT's will not have the 545RFE or the 65RFE. They will continue to use the Benz developed W5A580 5 speed trans.

The 2012 Jeep Wrangler is getting the 3.6 V6. The wrangler will be offered with a 6 speed manual. It will also get the same Benz developed W5A580 as the other pentastar powered SUVs get.

Motortrend stated that the RWD V6 Charger they tested was running 1100 (yes 1100) RPM at 72MPH. That is nutz that it is cabable of running those hwy RPMs all while cutting time off of the 0-60!!!

This is just a side note:
Can we please STOP calling the 65RFE "new" or a "6 speed auto." It is neither.

screwballl
09-03-2011, 02:33 PM
A Chrysler 300 Limited AWD (with Pentastar 3.6L V6 and 8 speed transmission) was turning only 1600 RPM at 70 mph.

Page 19 of the Oct 2011 issue.

Everything I have read is that the new transmission will be a mid year update because the factory manufacturing them has not even geared up to full production yet. there may be some early 2012 models with it, but that is the minority of them, not ALL.

...Chrysler is building an 845RFE factory in Kokomo, IN... Allpar stated they are updating their existing factory, MT stated they are building a new one for these transmissions. I tend to trust MT a bit more since allpar posts unverified information a bit too often.

Ram3500Dually
09-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Allpar stated they are updating their existing factory, MT stated they are building a new one for these transmissions. I tend to trust MT a bit more since allpar posts unverified information a bit too often.

They are both right. They are building an ADDITION on to Kokomo to help with the added production. They are using the existing plant and the addition.....

wyat72
09-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Page 19 of the Oct 2011 issue.

Everything I have read is that the new transmission will be a mid year update because the factory manufacturing them has not even geared up to full production yet. there may be some early 2012 models with it, but that is the minority of them, not ALL.

Allpar stated they are updating their existing factory, MT stated they are building a new one for these transmissions. I tend to trust MT a bit more since allpar posts unverified information a bit too often.

You can order a 2012 Charger or 300 with the 8 speed now, hell you can even build one on the website. The 2012s should be arriving on dealers lots by the end of this month, or begining of next month. Chrysler is importing the ZF trans from Germany until it can get the kokomo plant up and running at full speed.

Ram3500Dually
09-04-2011, 09:26 AM
The Charger and 300 have been getting the 8 speeds since Aug 12 for the Charger and Aug 15th for the 300

Charger (DFG) 8spd Auto 8R45 Trans
Job #1 8/12/2011

300 (DFG) 8 spd Auto 8R45 Trans
Job#1 8/15/11

screwballl
09-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the updates... there is so much info out there, it is tough to wade through it all... From the wording I read recently, it was going to hit and miss whether the specific vehicle made at that point in time got the 5/6 spd or the 8 spd.

Torque
09-04-2011, 08:52 PM
The Charger and 300 have been getting the 8 speeds since Aug 12 for the Charger and Aug 15th for the 300

Charger (DFG) 8spd Auto 8R45 Trans
Job #1 8/12/2011

300 (DFG) 8 spd Auto 8R45 Trans
Job#1 8/15/11

I'm gonna have to go test drive one of those for sure! :cool:

screwballl
09-07-2011, 11:11 AM
The SRT's will not have the 545RFE or the 65RFE. They will continue to use the Benz developed W5A580 5 speed trans.

Looking at info online, the W5A580 is actually the same casing and hardware as the 545RFE with a few tiny software tweaks by Mercedes.

wyat72
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Looking at info online, the W5A580 is actually the same casing and hardware as the 545RFE with a few tiny software tweaks by Mercedes.

No, it isn't. It isn't even close to the same trans. Here is a couple of links compairing the two transmissions. (Gear Ratios, Torque Ratings)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G-TRONIC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_545RFE_transmission

boostjunkie1
09-07-2011, 06:17 PM
The new 66RFE that is going into the HD-2500 HEMI Powered RAMs has the internals of the 68rfe stuffed into the casing of the 545rfe..... That is probably what he read.... The W5A580 is a stronger (higher power rated) transmission compared to the 545rfe....That is why it is installed into the SRT-8 Vehicles

Slow Eddie
10-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Looking at the window stickers of the new 2012 Chargers at my local dealer I notived the specs still list 5 speed automatic....

Eddie

abcone
10-02-2011, 08:12 PM
2012 5.7L Hemi Ram 1500's, Durangos and Gr. Cherokees now come with the 65RFE 6 speed transmission according the window stickers. According to allpar the 65RFE is a 5-45RFE with software modifications

wyat72
10-03-2011, 02:05 AM
Looking at the window stickers of the new 2012 Chargers at my local dealer I notived the specs still list 5 speed automatic....

Eddie

Depends on which model/engine you get.

On SE the 8 speed in an option. SXT trims and up with the V6, the 8 speed comes standard. No 8 speeds for anything with a V8 yet.

AP
10-03-2011, 08:09 AM
No, it isn't. It isn't even close to the same trans. Here is a couple of links compairing the two transmissions. (Gear Ratios, Torque Ratings)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G-TRONIC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_545RFE_transmission

Yep, totally different castings.

wyat72
10-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Motortrend and Autocar are reporting that the 8 speed will be implemented in the Jeep Grand Chrokee next year. Considering the D and the GC are made at the same plant, I'll let you read inbetween the lines.

Click here for link. (http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-8-speed-auto-coming-to-jeep-grand-cherokee-hemi-v-8-pentastar-v-6-123839.html#comments)

TonyCrew
10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
if by next year you mean 2013, i could fully see that being the case. i will say that when the V6 durango gets the 8 speed you will see a 26mpg (19cty) SUV that'll get to 60 in 7 seconds (if not quicker) and a low 15 second 1/4mi. i needed to (lease) get my D3 when i did, but i may get another one when this goes back if that's the case. i love this truck.

cokey
11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Think it'll be an at least moderate swap to a W5A580 for us love to mod types into an rt?

Citadel_Driver
11-13-2011, 03:08 PM
With the 8 spd coming up this could finally shut up some of the car reviewers on Dodge/Chrysler hanging on to the old 5 spd cogs. The 8 spd definitely ups the ante on the competition and if Dodge/Chrysler brings & combines the multi-air assist tech of Fiat engines to the pentastar and hemi engines, Dodge/Chrysler will have one of the most technologically advance powertrains in the auto industry.

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/produ...nsmission.html

cokey
11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for serving cd, hats off to ya...

Citadel_Driver
11-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks for serving cd, hats off to ya...

Thanks Cokey!!! :gr_patrio

maherm
11-22-2011, 04:58 AM
Just saw an AD in our local newspaper saying that the 8 speed charger has arrived at the showrooms:rck:....BTW, I live in the MIDDLE EAST:)

ZPirate
01-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Wow! I can't believe this thread is still hanging on.

I have to say I'm really disappointed that Dodge still doesn't have the 8 speed automatic available for the 2012 Durango, especially for the Hemi. I have been holding off on trading my 2008 Durango until the 8 speed becomes available on the Durango. I guess I'll have to wait another year as the so called new 6 speed automatic really isn't a true 6 speed.

jasonsdakota
01-04-2012, 10:09 PM
the 8 speed is getting ridiculously good reviews in the 300/charger. talking about forgetting the v8. buy the v6 for its glorious transmission. wow!

wyat72
01-05-2012, 03:18 AM
I drive the lot daily to see if my (small) local dealer has a new 300 or Charger in, just so I can test drive it!

I hope the new FWD 9 speed is going to be just as good, the first Chrysler CUV with the 9 speed will be her next vehicle.

BTW, I'm hearing A LOT of rumors that Chrysler is prepping for a BIG NY Auto Show in April. Keep your fingers crossed.

ckeegan
01-09-2012, 07:01 AM
While i can't read the whole wsj article, hopefully the 8 speed is part of the upgrade being announced later in 2013. An upgraded nav/infotainment would be nice too!

Also on the way: a freshening of the Jeep Grand Cherokee will make its debut at the Detroit auto show in 2013. Later that year, Chrysler will unveil the upgraded 2014 Dodge Durango. He also plans to introduce the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer and the...

PS - They could always throw in the instrument display from the Dodge Dart if they'd like to as well! :D

Ram3500Dually
10-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Re-opened........

abcone
10-13-2012, 09:53 AM
For the 2013 RAMS the 8 speed is only available with the newly available 3.6L Pentastar engine. The 5.7L still has the same 6 speed transmission (65RFE) as 2012. Both 6 speed and 8 speed use a dash mounted shift knob to select gear. This is according to window stickers for vehicles in transit to local dealers at this time. Also for 2013 on Chyslers LX platform (300, Charger, Challenger) the 8 speed is only available on Pentastar 3.6L vehicles, not on the Hemi's which still comes equipped with the Daimler designed W5A580 5 speed transmission. The 2014 durango and grand cherokee are due out in May of 2013. Probably will be the same deal as Ram with 8 speed only available with Pentastar 3.6L engines and the 65RFE 6 speed with the 5.7L Hemi.

ckeegan
10-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Milous over at JeepGarage has already confirmed the 8-speed with all engines for the 2014 Grand Cherokee.- New: 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters (8HP45 w/3.6L)

- New: 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters (8HP70 w/3.0L diesel, 5.7L and 6.4L)
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-grand-cherokee-features-and-changes-40291.html

GotRPM
10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Confirmed? Not according to the thread you referenced. As of 9/18 anyway:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 2014 Model Year
***UNOFFICIAL PRELIMINARY INFO, SUBJECT TO CHANGE***

DodgeCares
10-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Milous over at JeepGarage has already confirmed the 8-speed with all engines for the 2014 Grand Cherokee.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-grand-cherokee-features-and-changes-40291.html

I have heard nothing official as of yet but will post when I do.

ZPirate
10-15-2012, 01:45 PM
I have heard nothing official as of yet but will post when I do.

Thanks. Please do. I'd be disappointed if I buy a 2013 5.7 liter with the six speed transmission and the 2014 5.7 comes with an 8 speed transmission. I also assume the 8 speed will allow for significantly better highway fuel mileage.

DodgeCares
10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks. Please do. I'd be disappointed if I buy a 2013 5.7 liter with the six speed transmission and the 2014 5.7 comes with an 8 speed transmission. I also assume the 8 speed will allow for significantly better highway fuel mileage.

I am hoping too, because I will be getting a new vehicle soon and that's the configuration I want.

GotRPM
10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
...I also assume the 8 speed will allow for significantly better highway fuel mileage.I would not assume that at all. Highway mileage is largely influenced by final drive ratio, and the D already has a pretty low numeric ratio with a pretty low rpm at 60 mph - not a lot of room for "significant" improvement there. The big improvements will be in acceleration at all speeds, and probably in-town mpg.

ckeegan
10-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Confirmed? Not according to the thread you referenced. As of 9/18 anyway:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 2014 Model Year
***UNOFFICIAL PRELIMINARY INFO, SUBJECT TO CHANGE***

.I would put the same disclaimer on a thread I started, but the fact that he's been dead on about plenty of past releases lends some credibility. Not to mention the fact that he's confirmed far more minor details, like a capless fuel filler.

dorf411
10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
When should we be seeing some pictures of the 2014? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a JGC or a Durango but want to wait till I see what the improvements will be besides 8spd transmission.

wyat72
10-17-2012, 10:22 PM
When should we be seeing some pictures of the 2014? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a JGC or a Durango but want to wait till I see what the improvements will be besides 8spd transmission.

2014s come out in the FIRST QUARTER (January) of 2013. Wait until then. Both the V6 and the Hemi will have the 8 speed.

The autoshows at the end of the year are going to be huge for the Chrysler Family.

Ram3500Dually
10-18-2012, 02:17 AM
2014s come out in the FIRST QUARTER (January) of 2013. Wait until then. Both the V6 and the Hemi will have the 8 speed.

The autoshows at the end of the year are going to be huge for the Chrysler Family.

You will be LUCK if you see the 2014's in the 1st quarter next year. They will just be starting to build the 2013 HD in January....

wyat72
10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
The 2014 refresh for both vehicles is in its final stages. Several spy shots of the 2014s have been seen, almost completely uncamo'd.

Both Durango and Grand Cherokee will begin production of the 2014s in January 2013. So they will probably hit the dealers in Feb with wide spread availability in March.

The new 2011 Grand Cherokee was released in Jan of 2010, so it isn't an uncommon thing for Jeep to do, and because both the Durango and the Jeep are made in the same factory........ Just connecting the dots.

-Ross-
10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
I wish there would be a formal announcement stating the 2014 Hemi powered Durango will or will not be available with the 8spd auto. I'm getting really sick of waiting and am considering just picking up a 13 Expedition Limited EL.

kiablo
11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
It's coming, I've read from multiple sources that the 8 speed is not only coming to the Hemi, but on models with the new 3.0 CRD. The question is when. The same sources all say around May 2013 but that doesn't quite make sense being that the 2014s enter production in January. The car shows at the end of the year and early next year will be quite revealing.

Ram3500Dually
11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
It's coming, I've read from multiple sources that the 8 speed is not only coming to the Hemi, but on models with the new 3.0 CRD. The question is when. The same sources all say around May 2013 but that doesn't quite make sense being that the 2014s enter production in January. The car shows at the end of the year and early next year will be quite revealing.

2014's don't start Production in January. They USUALLY start production the middle of July. The 2500/3500 2013's don't even start production till January 2013, they are STILL building 2012's right now.

kiablo
11-24-2012, 11:41 AM
2014's don't start Production in January. They USUALLY start production the middle of July. The 2500/3500 2013's don't even start production till January 2013, they are STILL building 2012's right now.

You may want to head over to Allpar or just do a google search, this info is straight from Chrysler. The 2013 Durango /Grand Cherokee is a short model year that entered production in August (and is sitting on dealer lots as we speak) and will end in January when the 2014s enter production. This does not apply to other Chrysler product, only the Gc/Durango. My guess as to why they are doing this is either A. The 8 speed for the Hemi/CRD wasn't quite ready, or B. VM Motori needed more time to up production on the CRD to meet Chrysler's demands.

Ram3500Dually
11-24-2012, 11:53 AM
You may want to head over to Allpar or just do a google search, this info is straight from Chrysler. The 2013 Durango /Grand Cherokee is a short model year that entered production in August (and is sitting on dealer lots as we speak) and will end in January when the 2014s enter production. This does not apply to other Chrysler product, only the Gc/Durango. My guess as to why they are doing this is either A. The 8 speed for the Hemi/CRD wasn't quite ready, or B. VM Motori needed more time to up production on the CRD to meet Chrysler's demands.

Sorry, I thought this was in 4G Ram section, not Durango. You are correct.

kiablo
11-24-2012, 12:00 PM
No biggie;) the 8 speed gc/durango and the CRD is something I spend a LOT of time digging for info on. Im waiting for the 8 speed crd combo to come out so I can trade my 09 Journey in.

sinistersix
02-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Any update on this? Im looking to get a Durango RT blacktop around summer time...

ZPirate
02-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Here is a link to the most recent information I've seen about the 2014 Durango. According to the thread production won't begin until August 2013, with sales starting in September.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/2014-durango-features-and-changes-50844.html

sinistersix
02-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Interesting...that is later than I had heard. I am looking to purchase one around June so I wonder if they will have a fire sale to get rid of the 5 speeds..

ZPirate
02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Because I didn't really want to wait past this Spring I went ahead and ordered a 2013 R/T. Currently the rebates on 2013 are pretty good too.

-Ross-
02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Pushed back another 6 months? Booo!

I'll buy an Explorer Sport instead now.

sinistersix
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I bet the rebates will be highest right before its scheduled to come out. Are there any cars that have the 8 speed in it now? Not sure if its something that is worth waiting for or not

2006hemiram
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
The charger and the 300 have the eight speed since 2011

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

ZPirate
02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
The current rebate on the 2013 V8 Durango is $3,500 for my geographic location. That's one reason I went ahead and ordered a 2013.

ECONORAM
02-07-2013, 10:08 PM

I would not assume that at all. Highway mileage is largely influenced by final drive ratio, and the D already has a pretty low numeric ratio with a pretty low rpm at 60 mph - not a lot of room for "significant" improvement there. The big improvements will be in acceleration at all speeds, and probably in-town mpg.

Agreed. The 8-sp will help a little bit, but it's not the holy grail of mpg increases. I suggest looking at ways to further cut the vehicle's drag if you want to improve highway mpg...

ckeegan
02-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Pushed back another 6 months? Booo!

I'll buy an Explorer Sport instead now.that makes total sense, you know, given the ford explorer's stellar quality ratings since its release.

Don't get me wrong, I actually debated the same thing, until I did my research.

ZPirate
02-08-2013, 07:46 AM
that makes total sense, you know, given the ford explorer's stellar quality ratings since its release.

Don't get me wrong, I actually debated the same thing, until I did my research.

And the Explorer Sport has a six speed automatic too.

-Ross-
02-12-2013, 11:32 AM
And the Explorer Sport has a six speed automatic too.

It sure does. It's also a true 6spd auto and not a 5spd with a programmed 6th.

The Explorer Sport also gets better fuel mileage, has more overall room, and will go 0-60mph in 6 seconds flat. That's nearly a second and a half faster than the Durango R/T.;)

As for quality ratings for the new Explorer...Most of those negative ratings are in reference to MyFord Touch which has improved and continues to improve through free updates since the new Explorer's release.

ckeegan
02-13-2013, 05:56 AM
As for quality ratings for the new Explorer...Most of those negative ratings are in reference to MyFord Touch which has improved and continues to improve through free updates since the new Explorer's release.Not true at all, in fact, the vast majority of negative reviews relate to the transmission. Even Consumer Reports lists the Explorer's tranny in the cons list, not to mention the worst possible rating on predicted reliability. At least the Durango got an average reliability rating.

-Ross-
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Not true at all, in fact, the vast majority of negative reviews relate to the transmission. Even Consumer Reports lists the Explorer's tranny in the cons list, not to mention the worst possible rating on predicted reliability. At least the Durango got an average reliability rating.

I haven't really seen any complaints about the Explorer's 6F55 Transmission. Can you provide a link? I would like to read about it. Thanks.

ckeegan
02-14-2013, 05:30 AM
I haven't really seen any complaints about the Explorer's 6F55 Transmission. Can you provide a link? I would like to read about it. Thanks.plenty of forumsand webpages dedicated unresponsive transmissions, slippage, banging, etc. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=6F55+transmission+issues

-Ross-
02-14-2013, 08:10 AM
plenty of forumsand webpages dedicated unresponsive transmissions, slippage, banging, etc. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=6F55+transmission+issues

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I could google any transmission + issues and find hundreds of threads on message boards where a guy is asking what could be wrong with said transmission.

I was more interested in links to legitimate automobile media outlets acknowledging large number failures rather than links to random message boards where Jim Bob is "wunderin" why his tranny is making noise when "com'n down the hill".

I sure would like to know if a large number of 6F55 equipped vehicles are having transmission issues, because I am highly considering the Explorer Sport.

ckeegan
02-15-2013, 10:00 AM
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but I could google any transmission + issues and find hundreds of threads on message boards where a guy is asking what could be wrong with said transmission.

I was more interested in links to legitimate automobile media outlets acknowledging large number failures rather than links to random message boards where Jim Bob is "wunderin" why his tranny is making noise when "com'n down the hill".

I sure would like to know if a large number of 6F55 equipped vehicles are having transmission issues, because I am highly considering the Explorer Sport.I would rather trust consumers commenting in forums, who drive the vehicles daily, as opposed to a guy that drove it around a track a few times, but whatever floats your boat:

Consumer Reports: "The six-speed automatic is not the smoothest out there and wants to hold on to higher gears too long. It was sometimes slow to downshift and overly aggressive engine braking slowed the Explorer going down hills unless we gave the gas pedal a prod." "Reliability has been much below average."

JD Power: Overall Quality 2.0/5.0, Overall Quality - Mechanical 2.0/5.0

Motor Trend: The transmission "does have a bad habit though of cutting power noticeably during upshifts. As the new gear engages, power is fed back in slowly at first, then ramped up exponentially. The result is a slight hesitation in the acceleration. It also upshifts automatically at redline in manual mode..."

Sorry I don't have time to do more research for you, but I have to get back to work. For the record though, I actually swore off all Chrysler products about 11 years, and said I would never buy one again. I am not a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep fanboy by any stretch of the word, but the Grand Cherokee, Durango, and the possibility of a Grand Wagoneer rebirth has thrown the brand back into the mix.

-Ross-
02-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Have you driven a new Dodge or Chrysler (Charger or 300) equipped with the 8spd? It over-cuts power during shifts and it literally takes about 2 seconds to find it's gear and kick down when you floor the throttle at speeds above about 40mph.

I have to say though, they are quite peppy to 60mph with the 8spd. I was surprised.

There aren't too many new vehicles these days that you don't notice a loss of power / hesitation during shifts. It's programmed torque management designed to make transmissions last longer. An aftermarket tuner will take care of that "problem".

Coming from a diesel truck, I don't get the complaint with the "overly aggressive engine braking...going down hills". I would say this is actually a good thing, especially while towing.

fstdango3
02-18-2013, 09:15 AM
The 6 speed in my 2013 R/T seems to work fine so far no complaints

-Ross-
02-19-2013, 11:26 AM
The 6 speed in my 2013 R/T seems to work fine so far no complaints

That's good to hear. I'm going to look at a 2013 R/T after work.:rck:

-Ross-
02-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Purchased a silver loaded to the max 2013 R/T tonight. :)

2006hemiram
02-19-2013, 11:35 PM
pics? and what you get it for?

DodgeCares
02-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Purchased a silver loaded to the max 2013 R/T tonight. :)

Congrats on the new truck.

-Ross-
02-20-2013, 08:20 AM
pics? and what you get it for?

I'll get some pics of it soon. The weather isn't exactly beautiful down here right now.

$41,500 driveout. Sticker was $46,440. Plus they had added tint, nitrogen in the tires, some kind of paint protection and locking lug nuts which jacked up the price to $48k. I immediately told them I wasn't paying 1 dime for that stuff since it was marked up about 1000%.

See the window sticker for all the options (It's got it all...ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, dvd player, 2nd row buckets and console, etc.)

-Ross-
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
I snapped this with my phone this morning.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/ross87t/2013_Durango_RT_zps62d3d51d.jpg

Stole these from my dealer's online add of the R/T.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/ross87t/d4_zps2f6f9537.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/ross87t/d1_zps47adbd24.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/ross87t/d2_zpsabf029c6.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i249/ross87t/d3_zps4b11f834.jpg

fstdango3
02-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Very Nice that color was my second choice.
Wait till you see how cool that adaptive cruise control works.
Good luck with it

-Ross-
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=2006hemiram;4486471]
New Ride
2011 R/T- fully loaded, stock(1/4-14.5sec) 4/4/12
QUOTE]

14.5? Damn!

fstdango3
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
I believe he speaks of his Ram Pick up...

fstdango3
02-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Your new ride is 2wd?

-Ross-
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Your new ride is 2wd?

Yes.

I see he is refering to a pickup. I got excited for a second.

fstdango3
02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
That 2wd should be able to real off pretty close to that.
I find it odd that you have a 2wd and an engine block heater. I have no idea what your climate is down there. AWD is a must for me here in North Jersey
Keep us posted on the power after you get that 300 mile break in period over with they tell you in the manual. Also just an fyi If you want the paper manual you can call and get it sent to you for free. Its nice to have the disc and the book (which is huge). Got mine in 3-4 days after asking for it

-Ross-
02-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the tip. I saw the disc and wanted a manual.

Yep. No snow or hills/mountains down here. Maybe the engine block heater is for the 2 days out of the year when the temp goes below 32.:D

-Ross-
02-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Also just an fyi If you want the paper manual you can call and get it sent to you for free. Its nice to have the disc and the book (which is huge). Got mine in 3-4 days after asking for it

Who did you call to have the book sent? Thanks.

fstdango3
02-21-2013, 10:04 AM
I called Customer service and asked if I could have a paper copy of the complete manual. They connected me to someone else and that person was real nice and got it processed.
Here is what they send you.
STEVE

DodgeCares
02-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Customer Assistance Center numbers.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

fstdango3
02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
:worthy::dwave:

-Ross-
02-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks to you both.

wyat72
02-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Nice truck

wyat72
03-28-2013, 12:28 AM
8 speeds are going to be available later this year for the 2014 Model Year Durangos. The did a good job with this refresh, it looks awesome!

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/dodge/durango-14.html

ZPirate
03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Great info! Thanks for posting the link.

fstdango3
03-28-2013, 08:47 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/2014-dodge-durango-leaks-ahead-of-ny-rollout/