cam swap [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: cam swap

TYERFRYER
05-17-2010, 11:19 AM
:ugh I have a 1996 ram w/ a 5.2 magnum, stock except for Flow Master cat back. Truck has manual trans. & runs strong. I've been wanting to install a performance cam as all my vehicles have had one and i miss that lopey idle. Apparently, the p.c.m will have problems w/ the needed tighter l.s.a. & it won't run or even idle. I'm not looking for anything real aggressive, i just want that noticeable idle. Any one ever gone through this? One p.c.m tuning co.s told me there were problems tuning the 96's.- Please help

OleTomCat
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Hemifever does custom tunes for all OBD II trucks, try Summit racing for cams....

RM Indy
05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forum ;)

You can get away with a mild cam & stock computer but to get the most out of it really need to get the SCT tuner.
Most guys get cams from or based on, the specs at www.krcperformance.com.
Site navigation there isnt the greatest, need to click engines, then cams, then magnum cams to find what your looking for.

With everything else stock, wouldnt go too big on the cam. Cam should be matched to the rest of the components operating range.

TYERFRYER
05-17-2010, 01:23 PM
:cool: Thanks for the advice, this is my 1st dodge and the truck has proven itself to me. it's my 1st 4x4 also & in fl. we have that "sugar" sand w/ a thin layer of grass to hide it, by the time you know you're in it "you're in it"! It's got me & a couple of my buddies trucks out . _ THANKS AGAIN

TYERFRYER
05-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Awesome truck& website,thank you . Is that a hand held tuner for my stock p.c.m? I'll ck. out krc, one problem i'm having w/ a cam selection is my (i,m sure you already know this) rocker ratio is 1.6, and the cam specs are usually based on 1.5 . So i'm trying to convert the #'s, lift etc. & w/this being my 1st non adj. valve train,will i need to get 1.5 rockers anyway?

ozplanet
05-19-2010, 03:41 PM
http://axztm.huwab.servertrust.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WPE206

Should be based on 1.6 ratio you might have been looking at the LA instead of the magnum cams.

Rocker ratio http://www.wallaceracing.com/rockercalc.php you can put in the lift @ 1.5 tthen put in your 1.6 as long as the lift is below 520 there is no risk. You will need new springs for anything higher than 480.

PCM will be fine with your cam choice. But to get the full potential a tune is recommended.

TYERFRYER
05-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks & you're right, i spoke to comp cams& before i was considering going w/ an la flat tappet cam & longer (needed) push rods. The reason is a wider cam selection, & even though people say you can reuse your old roller lifters, i wonder how many really would? I never have, my engine has about 70k mi. on the remaned long block. what do you think? B.t.w., my ram is also black on black. Anyway, i plan on having to go w/adj. roller rocker either way& The few roller cams offered for the same $ i can do all the parts in a kit w/springs &even the timing set is included. The tech guy @ Comp cams told me that the '96 pcm is infamous for resetting itself back to the factory tune , after it's been tuned for you're mods,ever heard this? Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks again

ozplanet
05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
You are going to have to put together a plan.

To go along with the work you are doing, know that the heads are notorious for being cracked. I don't beleive Comp Cams has a set for the magnum block. Don't quote me on that ;) The LA springs are not the same as magnum.

It all depends on how far you want to go. A simple cam swap keep the lift below 500 the cam that I used is XR 264R-14 by comp cams it only has 480 lift. You can skip the valve springs, I reused my roller lifters. As long as they are not worn which they shouldn't be.

The only reason why go with the adj rockers is if you are shaving the heads or running some funky cam combo. The non adj are cheaper and work.

If you plan on changing your heads to some after market Edelbrock or EQ then you would be better off holding off on the rockers so you can get some 3/8 LS rockers instead, even cheaper.

But, then both those head are too much for a stock 318 you would then want to stroke it to make use of the heads. Next thing you know you have spent 10k for a simple $200 cam swap. Decide now how far you want to go.

little_yellow
05-30-2010, 09:11 PM
ozplanet- i noticed you had mentioned you have the 264 comp cam in your truck. i was told that you cannot use the stock springs? its the same cam i decided to order for my engine rebuild, which is why i am asking. also do you have a noticeable idle? i checked out your vids on you tube and i cant seem to hear any lump to it. also the specs on that cam says that it has .512 lift?

ozplanet
05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
The videos are all when the engine is cold. So the idle is high 1000rpm. When the truck warms up the idle drops. I have it set to 750 the idle is noticable but it is not a huge cam. It is the overlap that make the rough idle. I kept it conservative for emissions.

The lift for that cam is .480 with stock 1.6 ratio rockers, .512 with 1.7 ratio rockers.

Noone will tell you to keep your stock springs. I'll tell you yes, with the stock rockers, as long as you plan on changing them in the future. If you go with the 1.7 you will have to change the springs they will break bind, nasty stuff.

little_yellow
05-31-2010, 12:30 PM
ok thats what i was concerned with. i got new springs and the 1.6 ratio rockers. this is the page i was looking at. http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=664&sb=2
now it says on there that thats the lift with the 1.6 rockers. im not saying your wrong or anything im just slightly confused. i want a noticeable idle but i do only have the 1.6 rockers already ordered :( i just told the guy to order the best fit for it. i am getting head studs and the stud mount rockers from comp with push rods i think for 365. not sure on springs yet but he is looking. having some troubles with them. do you have after market springs? if so what/ where did you get. it would be super helpful for me so i can get them ordered.

ozplanet
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
The cam you selected is not the same cam as what I have:

Yours: 264HR-12
Mine: XR 264R-14

The spring I got from mopar performance. You will also need the retainers and locks to go with those springs. I can dig up the part numbers for you if you need them.

little_yellow
05-31-2010, 12:44 PM
well just got off the phone with my engine guy..... bad news the 264 is out of stock would be a 4-6 week wait. not likely lol so im gonna have to go back to the 262hr-12.......there goes the lope that i wanted.

ozplanet
05-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Go with the same cam I have, suggest that to your engine guy

ozplanet
05-31-2010, 12:49 PM
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=660&sb=2

little_yellow
05-31-2010, 12:52 PM
the 262 is already ordered. how much of a performance difference am i going to notice?

ozplanet
05-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Well less of a rough idle than my cam but still a good choice. If you lower the idle really low it will be more noticable.

little_yellow
05-31-2010, 01:00 PM
ok thanks for the help