88 dodge ram 150 pickup truck [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: 88 dodge ram 150 pickup truck

radmyster
02-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Hey I need help if anyone has ideas please email.
I have an 88 dodge pickup while driving down the road the truck quits just as you might have turned the key off and won't start for about an hour. i have replaced ecm twice the dist. cap rotor heil effect ign coil. fuel pump and filter,fuel pump relay and recent new plug and wires. Tries to start when you spray starter fluid down but won't. I have had it in the shop and everytime the shop drives it they can't get it to die the one time the did they bang on gas tank and it started so replaced fuel pump. No codes come from the computer. The key will not give codes when you do the on off thing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Brad

Jesse-James
02-05-2009, 06:41 AM
1 post and you want people to email you the answer?

I'll pass, thanks.

Watch this....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

Bustedknuckles
02-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Lmao!!!

coldduc
02-05-2009, 08:15 AM
come on guys, give him a break..........

everyone is new to some forum sometime.....

why ever post or come back again if the first post is answered by some forum SNOB?

:D

Jesse-James
02-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Oh noez, it's......http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:wgbOLECu5hmrnM:http://www.theforumpolice.com/images/forum_police.gif

radmyster
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey glad you think it is so funny justed wanted a little help. I hope when you
ask for help the don't get smart answers.

radmyster
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks glad you took up for me all i wanted was some ideas totally stuck here.

Jesse-James
02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
...if anyone has ideas please email.

My point is you don't post a thread and tell people to Email you the replies.

19ram89
02-05-2009, 07:32 PM
try the pickup in the dist.

radmyster
02-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey New to this and don't understand how all this works so help me on this how this works. thanks

radmyster
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Hey put new pick coil in the dist. Thanks for the idea though have anymore would appreciate it Thanks

Jesse-James
02-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Only experience I have with a problem like this was with a Fiat ( I know, bad example ) but we ended up replacing the dist and the problem went away so 19ram89 may be right.

19ram89
02-06-2009, 08:07 PM
did you try the throttle pos. sensor. fuel pump won't run without signal from it

AP
02-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't know if this will help. My old 88 Ram LE 150 with 318 FI with a Holley squirter ( that's what I called it ) had problerms like that before. I had cases when I was at the stop light and it would idle rough and almost quit upon acceleration. I did everything like you did and found out it was a oxygen sensor and the map sensor.

Davidsingletary
02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
OKAY, I had the exact same thing happen to me in my 93 d-150. It went on for about a month. It would break down somewhere and then we'd get it towed to the mechanic and he couldnt figure it out. He charged a crapload of money trying to figure the thing out. He would drive it and say it was okay. Then when I get it back and drive it, it dies. Then the whole thing would start over. (I'm just glad my insurance covers towing)

It ended up being a really dirty throttle body.

Jesse-James
02-07-2009, 10:41 AM
It ended up being a really dirty throttle body.

Would it chug and die or just instantly kill?

radmyster
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks i'll give it a try.
Wouldv'e thought the mechanic would have cleaned it when they found the loose wire to the injector.

radmyster
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks I know the oxygen snesor is weak. I don't know about the map sensor will have to find out what it is.

radmyster
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey anyone know what the 1255 means on ign key codes for 88 dodge ram pickup. dealer says that can't tell unless the have it in the shop.

Red Scare
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm no expert on 1st gens and have no clue if the setup is even the same, but my dad's '83 Ramcharger had a similar issue, it would die while driving. It turned out to be a leak in the exhaust that was letting the hot air out on to the fuel lines, causing it to not deliver right.

Davidsingletary
02-12-2009, 10:06 PM
It shut down on me three times, the time that i remember most was when i was pulling up to a red light and it started running badly. I dont really know how to describe it other than it started idling irregularly, choppy maybe? it was pretty rough, and I managed to get it off the road before it died.

lilredhunter
02-14-2009, 05:51 PM
SOunds like it could be so many things. It could be vapor locking. If you think there is a chance of that get a wooden clothes pin and clip onto your fuel line. The wood will act as a heat sink and would stop the problem. Of course I call this a temp fix although some guys will run one this way for years. Vapor locking is caused by a fuel line getting too hot. Causing the fuel in the line to vaporize instead of flowing. The distributor pick up will act the same way. I had a Cadillac once that had the problem described and it was never fixed and I traded it in on another vehicle. The dealer where I traded it tried for 3 months to fix it and couldn't. It was eventually towed to auction and sold. The car became junkyard fodder from there.

lilredhunter
02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Ok maybe this will help maybe not. Try replacing the Start/run relay. Don't aske me where it is located. But my 92 started this a couple days ago. I did not have time to work on it so I took it to my local dealer and this is what they said it was. I initially thought it was bad gas. But if you kept it at a high idle it was mostly fine. So I ruled out gas. So I also quickly looked around under hood and saw nothing out of the ordinary. SO I drove it to the dealer so they could find the problem. Here is what it look likes.http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/gpi?id=120827200

Ontblackdak
02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
codes 12 and 55 mean you have no trouble codes stored 12 is always at the start and 55 means the pcm is finished delivering codes.

alewis843
04-13-2009, 03:38 PM
I fixed same problem with Crankshaft sensor.

Pyro74
04-16-2009, 07:16 PM
check your ignition switch. if you or the previous owner have a large amount of keys the weight will break down the alignment of the switch. may cause intermitant failure.

never mind.

gatordodge
04-17-2009, 03:58 PM
You said a mechanic banged on the tank and it worked for a while. did you check all the wiring in that area to see if it's almost broken or corroded? Wiring can do weird stuff like this.

moon111
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I had a car that would do this. I ended up hooking up my own fuel delivery system and it ran fine. When I took off a rubber fuel line that was on it, the inside was collapsing like it was a tube within a tube. It looked like a gas line, but maybe the previous owner had used something else? (Perhaps pulled it off a Ford? :) )