P0443 BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read my response!!!!!!! [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: P0443 BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read my response!!!!!!!

99drango5.9
09-09-2007, 01:21 AM
Hi,
1999 Dodge Durango with 5.9 SLT Check Engine Light..............
I was getting the P0443 Evap Purge Solinoid Open/Shorted "soft" code. I inspected all my hoses from the engine bay to the charcoal can and all looked ok. I put a new gas cap on and then replaced my Evap Purge Solinoid form Dodge today. I disconected the battery for 10 mins and the code came back after the second cycle.

Does anyone have a next step for me to try? I noticed the 1 PSI air test port but not sure what to do with it. I will not pass emissions here in AZ with this check engine light and need to fix and can not afford another trip to the dealer. HELP! Please........ :help:

Thanking you in advance!

99drango5.9
09-09-2007, 11:46 AM
After seeing no response to this thread I created I went out on this forum to search and low and behold many people have had or are having this problem and NOBODY has answered to this. I KNOW for a fact DODGE has two or more TSB (Technical Service Bulitins) indicating PCM false code generations. Dodge service refuses to support and help further than that. Either this issue is so difficult because there is an inherent problem as outlined by Dodge's TSB or this forum plain SUCKS......

Comments?

MadMike05
09-09-2007, 12:05 PM
you ever try resetting your pcm? or just getting a new one

99drango5.9
09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
A new PCM is $500 thats a lot of money for a swap method of diagnostics. How do you re-set the PCM? I have disconnected my battery many times in this process of debugging this code. Does disconnecting power "reset" the PCM?

Neil F.
09-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Just disconnecting the battery will not clear the PCM. Disconnect and turn the key to on for 30-45 seconds. Clearing it is not really going to do anything. If the problem were gone, it would clear itself.

skebert
09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
I just looked and there are no TSB's for P0443. I'm not sure where you got your information, but I looked on Chryslers website and could not find anything listed for your year and motor. I wish I had some more information for you.
Attatched are the tests for the code P0443. I'm not sure how much you will be able do because a scan tool is involved.

99drango5.9
09-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the inputs. I am not trying to be an aXX but sometimes it takes a little fire to get things like this moving. I will look at the tests now.
BTW I found these for the 1999 Durango:

# TSB #080700 -- SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN ERRONEOUS MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP DUE TO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0443 (PURGE CKT) AND / OR A POSSIBLE KEY-OFF BATTERY DRAW. *TT (NHTSA ID #610621, MARCH 03 2000)

# TSB #183598 -- EXHIBITING MIL ILLUMINATION WITH DTC $ 12 (P0443) - EVAPORATIVE PURGE SOLENOID CIRCUIT FAILURE, CAN BE CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL NOISE GENERATED THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH. *AK (NHTSA ID #603111, DECEMBER 18 1998)

99drango5.9
09-10-2007, 12:51 AM
I measured the Fused Ignition output circuit which should be 10V min and it measured 7.19V so it seems its possible some output circuit that drives the solinoid.

Anyone have a schematic that can help me identify this drive circuit presumed to be between the PCM and the Evap Purge solinoid?

Thanking you,

skebert
09-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I can not find either onw of those TSB number, but here is the best I could find for the purge solenoid.

Thunderchild
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
I had this same code pop up a few month's ago. They found out that it was a little hose back by my gas tank that is about 2 inches long. I have it right here in front of me on my desk. It cost me $150.00 to repair. The hose was split and once replaced all was well. They almost had to do the smoke test but found the split right before they were to do it.
:cool:

lewisroy
09-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I have the same problem on my 2000 durango R/T
the dealer told me that my superships cause it I had to replace the computer [by the way this is the section time this has happen to my truck ]
O by the way the dealer in tidewater VA hear only have parts change that is if it ant broken in hafe it not broken

tosterho
09-10-2007, 02:28 PM
[/QUOTE]O by the way the dealer in tidewater VA hear only have parts change that is if it ant broken in hafe it not broken

HUH?

99drango5.9
09-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Skebert,

Thanks for the schematics. I am wondering about that fuse 11/JB8 10A on the junction block. I wonder where that is. If its the engine bay or cabin. I checked all my fusses and they looked ok. I had herd about an Evap Purge Sol fuse but had not seen anything labled as such until I say your schematic.

Actually now that I look at the schematic I see that the fuse also is used by the overhead console which has power. Must not be the fuse.

99drango5.9
09-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Thunderchild,

Are you sure it was the same code? P0443 is an open/short circuit implying that its electrical not a vac leak. If it WAS the same code I maybe chasing the wrong type of problem due to poor diagnositcs????? :WHT:

skebert
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
junction block is inside
power distribution center is in the engine

Neil F.
09-11-2007, 05:29 AM
I would say Solinoid Open/Shorted is electrical. 0456, 0442, 0455 are for small, med, large leaks. A hose usuall is a med or large leak.

99drango5.9
09-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Here in sum is what I have going on:

P0443 causing check engine light
All hoses look fine (engine bay and under truck to the charcoal can and gas tank (that I can see anyway).
All fuses are ok in both engine bay and cab
Replaced the Evap Purge solenoid
Measure 7.2V across the pins of the solenoid connector from the PCM expecting at least 10V from debug manual.

I am assuming its not a leak and it IS electrical due to the error code. AND if its electrical then its either the Wiring, Solinoid or PCM as that is all the schematics show in the circuit. The drive circuit must be in the PCM. Because my voltage is possibly low it might be the PCM.

Can sombody measure their voltage across their solenoid connector from the PCM and post back?? Its easy if you have a DVM. I am curious what the voltage drop is typically. Must be done while ignition is on or truck is running.
:crazy:

Thanks in advance!

99drango5.9
09-14-2007, 02:57 AM
To the top...last post is asking some one to measure the voltage across the two pins at the connector of the Evap solinoid wire harness from the PCM. Maybe this weekend some one will have some time to measure? Also if my PCM is bad does anyone know of an inexpensive way to repair or replace?

99drango5.9
09-15-2007, 10:53 AM
TTP need some help here guys....can anyone take this five minute measurment for me and post back what voltage you read across the two termainal Eval solinoid connector? I need to know if my 7.2V reading is far off and determine if its my PCM.

Thanks!

skebert
09-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I checked for voltage across the Evap purge solenoid and had battery voltage with the engine off and a little more with the engine running. A little more with the engine running because the alternator is working.

99surangoslt
09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I have the same code and checked all hoses, they are fine. next i will replace the evap solenoid ... could be a bad PCM too??

99drango5.9
09-16-2007, 02:31 AM
wow thats plus 12V compared to my 7V ok must be a PCM problem dang thats gonna cost me a lot of money

skebert
09-16-2007, 06:39 AM
locate the wires in the PCM connector (refer to the schematic) and back probe for voltage there. if there is proper voltage, trace the wire to find the 1 connector between the junction block and the PCM. see if there is any corrosion in the connector causing a drop in voltage.
If you follow the steps in the trouble shooting chart (the best you can with no scan tool) it will tell you what the MOST LIKELY cause is. good luck and let us know what you find.

99drango5.9
09-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes as this P0443 is an electrical "open/short". Measure your voltage at the connector leading to the solinoid. It may NOT be the solinoid as it was NOT for my case. I am betting its my PCM which I need to have confirmed as theese suckers are like $700!!!!! My car runs fine but will eventually fail emissions due to the check engine light being on.

Neil F.
09-17-2007, 05:17 AM
A PCM is not 700. (new from the dealer is 500) It should be 300 or less for a used. Used ones show up on ebay. Autozone and Parts America sell remanufactured PCMs. From another post here, here are a couple other sources. http://www.ecmtogo.com/ , www.cherry-auto.com

99drango5.9
09-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Problem SOLVED!

I re-seated all my PCM connectors (all 3) and the problem vanished!!!! Lesson learned and you can learn from this as well. Its possible I had developed oxidation or corrosion and when I re-seated the connector it cleaned off the contact. This was not in the procedure but it was my last ditch effort prior to probing the connector voltage and possibly bringing it in to get ripped off by the dealer.

If you have PCM problems try this it might save you some money. :D

Thanks for all your help and comments guys!

B1G BLEU
09-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Great job, 99!

tosterho
09-17-2007, 07:49 PM
electrical parts cleaner could probably clean those connections too. I am glad to hear your problem went away!

99drango5.9
09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Its back.....sheeeeeeeeet. Wife had the car all day and later on the way home the check engine light went on. I can only assume its the dreaded P0443. It went through about 6 re-starts before it went on.

Looks like I need to find the connector on the PCM and measure its voltage. I am not sure how to do this since I can not unplug the PCM while the engine is on or even with the battery connected as I don't want to blow the PCM.

hummmmmmm

99surangoslt
09-22-2007, 09:37 AM
i found in another website that the emission control fuse could be gone, anyone knows where is this fuse located?

99surangoslt
09-23-2007, 01:34 AM
problem solved, cause was a missing fuse.

B1G BLEU
09-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Missing fuse? Did you get the truck like that or did someone blow a fuse and 'borrow' that one?

skebert
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
how could you have a missing fuse but still have voltage at the terminal?

99surangoslt
09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
hi, well everything started when durango wont pass inspection due to emissions, so I took the truck to a well-known mechanic, he passed the truck but returned it to myself with the check engine light on... code p0443. He told me it left inspection with that light "on". we scanned and everything and this guy was tellin me it was a common problem and had to replace the solenoid evap emissions system and stuff.
At 1st I belived this guy but wasnt sure, so I took the truck with me back home and started googling over the internet for possible solutions, until I found some info about a fuse issue throwing this code, then next morning guess what, checked the dash fuses and last fuse, the console/PURGUE was missing. I just replaced it and light was gone.

I bet the guy was trying to rip me off and he took the fuse with him...

I havent returned to this guy.. just missed the situation .. and nvr going back to this mechanic.. :s :huh:

lewisroy
09-28-2007, 02:06 AM
what I said was in norfolk and cheasepke VA the dealer have no Tech/mech the only way you can get anything fix there is it in broken in two and they will duck tape or supper glue it if they can and if it warranty well let not talk about that
if there hand hell computer dose not show them a code it not broken even if in two parts
that my 2 cent worth dodge service in hampton road VA

Neil F.
09-28-2007, 04:55 AM
Holy S... Wow what a rip off. Glad you took the time to find it.