4.7 Oil [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: 4.7 Oil

Cds4344
06-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Anybody know "exactly" how many quarts of oil the 4.7 takes?

Markw
06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
6 quarts

JeffB2002
06-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Anybody know "exactly" how many quarts of oil the 4.7 takes?
Look in your owners manual in the Specifications section. It will give you all of the fluid levels for your truck.

ECONORAM
09-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I put 6 qts in when I did my last change...

kruser79
09-16-2007, 07:33 PM
ditto the six.............

Cds4344
09-17-2007, 11:41 AM
This thread is over 3 months old?? I got it

kruser79
09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Huh, it just showed up as a new thread the other day....

That'll teach me not to pay attention to the Posted: date! :D

Toro650
10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and the owners manual states 6 quarts of oil including the filter. Everytime I change the oil and I add 6 quarts the level on the dipstick is below the cross hatched safe area betwen the two D's in the word ADD. I have to add another quart to bring the level to the middle part of the cross hatched area. This also happened at the Dodge dealer twice and I had to bring it back for them to add more oil. The truck does not leak oil and it is not burning oil becase once the level is good it stays that way until the next oil change. Would anyone know why would my truck take 7 quarts and not six??

JeffB2002
10-18-2007, 06:48 PM
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and the owners manual states 6 quarts of oil including the filter. Everytime I change the oil and I add 6 quarts the level on the dipstick is below the cross hatched safe area betwen the two D's in the word ADD. I have to add another quart to bring the level to the middle part of the cross hatched area. This also happened at the Dodge dealer twice and I had to bring it back for them to add more oil. The truck does not leak oil and it is not burning oil becase once the level is good it stays that way until the next oil change. Would anyone know why would my truck take 7 quarts and not six??
I don't know why it would take that much unless the dipstick is too short for some reason. Mine takes 6 1/2 quarts with the filter because I am using a larger than stock filter. Ask the dealer to tell you why it seems to take 7 quarts.

Toro650
10-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Jeff, I already had the dipstick checked by the dealer and it's the correct size. The oil filter is a factory stock one. After my last oil change at the dealer, they said they added six quarts. I then drove the truck for about 5 miles and came back to them. Let it sit for about ten minutes and had them check the oil level. It showed up between the two D's on the word ADD. The guy scratched his head and added another quart to bring it up to the middle portion of the cross hatched area.

I was just wondering if anyone else ever experienced this same situation. Thanks.

nick52284
12-15-2007, 02:31 PM
well, most dealers have automatic oil spouts that will count the quarts of oil as it goes in. perhaps the oil spout is out of calibration? i work at a dealer and we have that issue. the 4.2 straight 5 cyl calls for 7 quarts. the bay i work in has an auto oil spout. i ignore it because its never right, by the time the filter is full and oil is at full line, the spout is reading close to 8 quarts. now i've also done an oil change on the same engine, different customer with supplied oil - 7 quarts and it was full. our spouts are out of calibration by almost a quart. that might be the issue with your dealer? something to look into?

Nick

highdollar
12-30-2007, 06:35 PM
You might be running the Large filter..

When I ran a larger than spec filter and it took almost 7 quarts.. {amsoil a026 i think?**

$