Vibration problem 65-82 mph and lemon law [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: Vibration problem 65-82 mph and lemon law

ccsrcr
09-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Sorry in advance for my first post being negative, but here is my situation.

I have a 2004.5 2500 Dodge Ram CTD 4x4 QC SB Laramie with the 48re trans. After my first highway trip I noticed the vibration, it starts at 65 and goes until about 82 mph. I also have a Drone sound that I get at the same speeds. I have had the truck less than a month, and it has about 2500 miles on it. I have it in the dealer 3 separate times for this problem. Here is a quick summation of those trips to the dealer.

Trip 1: Took it in with 800 miles on it. Dealer looked at it, and said yea, there is a problem, that Dodge is aware of it and working on a fix and for me to bring it back after 2000 miles. They did not attempt to repair anything.

Trip 2: Took it back in with about 2200 miles on it. Dealer balanced all 4 tires and said it was better, and to pick it up. Picked up and still the same vibration from 65-82, but now with a new vibration noise coming from the B pillar at about 1250 RPM under load.

Trip 3: Took it back in. Dealer first tried another set of wheels/tires from another truck on the lot and the vibration was still there. Dealer advised they got new information from dodge that the problem if from the front axle of the truck. The advised with the front driveshaft removed that the vibration is much better , but not totally gone. Dodge advised them to try and "Weight the front yoke" and see if it improves. They tried some hose clamps on the front yoke and said it was better but still not fixed. I was advised by the dealer that dodge would be coming out with a fix very soon, and to pick the truck up.

All of these trips to the dealer where within a 2 week period. I have since opened a case with DC on this and have been advised that Dodge is aware of the problem and are working on a fix, but have no timeframe. The service managed at the dealership has now told me that I am looking at 2-3 months before a fix will be out. I think that is an unreasonable time and am now thinking about filling for Lemon Law under the state of VA, but I am unsure if I will meet the requirements of 3 repair attempts. I have 2 for sure, but not sure if the first trip to the dealer will count. The dealership says they will not work on it anymore until a fix from Dodge is released. So it is impossible to get another attempt.

I have since opened a case with DC but the latest is they will not do anything until a fix is approved, and will not do anything else for me. I donít feel this is acceptable, and I plan on contacting a Lemon lawyer to see where I stand.

I have seen where this has been a problem for quite a few other people so how did you handle it ? Looking for advice here, Email me if you do not want to post it here. Thanks in advance. email : ricmikjon@yahoo.com

milo55
09-08-2004, 06:15 PM
I would say pursue it. It sounds like it really bothers you so go after them!
Any way sorry I could'nt be of more help. But Welcome to DT. and enjoy your stay

ccsrcr
09-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Quick update on my claim, DC has advised me that they will not work on the truck until a fix is worked out by engineering, and that is will be 2-3 months at the earliest. The dealer advised me that it has been isolated to a front end problem on these trucks, and dodge is working on a "vehicle specific weighted front yoke" I have heard from a few other guys that where told this was a problem in the rear end of the truck. Surely more of you guys/girls out there are having this issue. Remember the more information we can share the more we can pressure DC to correct this issue. BTW, I have started the Lemon process with DC so I will keep you updated on the progress.

milo55
09-10-2004, 05:52 AM
Hey, Bubba You have any problems like this? bubba just bought a new ctd, last month!

Chauncy
09-10-2004, 07:57 AM
sorry to be devil's advocate here, but would you rather they keep band-aiding it until they claim it's fixed and won't do anything else to it?

you'd be better off waiting for them to fix it right than demanding instant service, that'll only get you a truck that runs worse and worse, like you've noticed, a new vibration started

have patience, it's only been a month, they're human and they're not perfect

KTS
09-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Yep Cars are so much like computer software. Now a days a company is pressured to put a product out by a certain day that they don't get the chance to fix everything, then once it's out people complain until it gets fixed, instead of letting the guys fix it the give them more work by asing all the time.

The problem is probably more comlicated then it seems and DC is working on fixing the problem wihout making more problems down the road.

ccsrcr
09-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Chauncy

If my truck was the first one reported to dodge to have this problem I would totaly understand that it would take time to fix this correctly, However I have found people having this exact same issue as far back as OCT 2003, so I have no reason to believe that DC will have this corrected any time soon. I dont know if my truck is worse than most or not but in the 2000 or so miles I have put on it the vibration has already started to cause secondary problems IE: Interior parts starting to Vibrate loose and making additional noises, so I can't imagine what it will cause in 3-6 more months of driving, and 10,000 more miles.

This is my 6th Dodge product and first bad experience, so I am in no way trying to Dodge bash here, but it seems like DC has had ample time to correct this issue, and if everyone that is having this problem keeps accepting "It will be corrected in 3 months or so" , then why would DC want to make this a priority ?

Rammer04
09-10-2004, 09:53 AM
I have a little different problem. There are a couple of streches of road that I drive on and at about 50-65, I bounce all over hell, I mean total vehicle vibration. It smothes out at about 65-75 - One strech it is at 76 on the nose. I have been driving this route for years and never a problem until the Ram. Don't know if it is the harmonic with the road at those places and speeds, crappy roads mixed with an Off-Road suspension, Wheels need ballanced, tranny.....Who knows....any help would be good....

PS - I know its not the same topic, but its close enough right? :help:

Bubba_Hemi
09-10-2004, 10:22 PM
ccsrcr, I have virtually the same truck as you, however I'm sorry to say that I am not having any problems with mine. I've had mine for a lil more then a month and only had it out on the freeway once... about an hour each way, so about 80 miles each way. I had no signs of vibrations anywhere on the freeway ranging from 50 in traffic to 110 with wide a open road. Of course there aren't any speed limits around town close to those speeds, but that doesn't mean I don't hit 70 regularly on the road my house is on.

You said you were worried about having 3 fix visits when they've only really fixed something twice... but I think the fact that they will not accept it a fourth time constitues 3 fix visits.

How's it going through DC? Any luck or anything with that yet? I'd talk to the dealership (if they're willing to listen) and see what can be done about a straight swap for another truck. If they know it's a problem and DC knows it's a problem... something's not right with it. Especially when it's a vibration up front cause the worse it might get according to them, is probably gonna be at the worse possible time and that's not gonna be a pretty sight.

Oh yea, sorry if this seems a lil long winded... guess I just get going sometimes. lol

milo55
09-11-2004, 04:24 AM
I have a little different problem. There are a couple of streches of road that I drive on and at about 50-65, I bounce all over hell, I mean total vehicle vibration. It smothes out at about 65-75 - One strech it is at 76 on the nose. I have been driving this route for years and never a problem until the Ram. Don't know if it is the harmonic with the road at those places and speeds, crappy roads mixed with an Off-Road suspension, Wheels need ballanced, tranny.....Who knows....any help would be good....

PS - I know its not the same topic, but its close enough right? :help:

Rammer, I use to have the same problem esspecially over irregular pavement. I would hop and could turn it sideways if I wasn't careful. I ditched the stock shocks and installed Monroe Reflex's. Much much better now. It feels more like a truck too. :D

ccsrcr
09-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Quick update, As no suprise DC is still not planning on doing anything. I got a call yesterday from the district manager and he advised that "according to there files" my complaint was the vibration was above 72 MPH which is not a legal speed and DC does not intend to do anything about it. I am not sure where they got in there files that this problem was from 72 MPH and up, but all of my forms where I took it into the dealer cleary state "from 65-82 mph" I guess my next step is taking them to court. I am sure that there are more of you out there with this same problem, and I will keep this updated to let you know what happens. In turn if you can keep me updated that would be great also.

Bubba_Hemi
09-21-2004, 01:35 PM
If you still have those forms where it says 65... take that shit to them and show them. Then threaten to take it to a lawyer and he'll change his tone then.

Something else is if it is doing it below 70 (I guess that's the speed limit? Maybe 65?) then take it out and verify that it is doing it at whatever speed. Go to the dealership, have a mechanic ride along and do the speed limit and have it do it so he'll verify it's under the speed limit and then they'll do something about it. Good luck with this man... I hope it works out for you.

MR YOON
09-22-2004, 05:00 AM
windows 95 is much more reliable...:D

on a side note: keep all your receipts for future references for all the visits you made to the dealer describing every issue specifically. Hope you know the proper procedure for filing a lemon.

Badass5.9
09-22-2004, 02:09 PM
If you want to be sure to have 3 complaints bring it to another dealer and see what they say. WHAMO 3 attempts to fix it. You should be able to bring it to any Dodge dealership and they will try and fix it. I am not sure if the lemon law says you have to bring it to the same place 3 times but I dont think it does. Its worth a shot.

MR YOON
09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
right on, but just to be safe i'd take it to the same place. bitch at them and make a scene.. you'll get your way. :D

glenB
09-22-2004, 09:46 PM
If it's not a safety issue, I think you're screwed.

MR YOON
09-22-2004, 09:50 PM
true.

My Truck Is On The Honor Roll! :D

ccsrcr
09-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Another update, Again spoke to the District manager and advised him that my paperwork cleary states that the problem is from 65mph and up, and he then confirmed that there paperwork matched what I have been saying, but he then added "Dodge does not plan on doing anything, or letting there technicians work on anything over 65mph, which is the legal speed limit in Virginia" I then advised him that there is other states that the speed limit is 70mph, and that I did not think that I was limited to drive this truck just in VA ! I Cant believe that Dodge is handleing this is such a poor manner in my opinion. I keep hearing that this is a design issue, but if that is the case why does not every truck have this problem, and why cant DC put the "good parts" on my truck so it does not have this problem ? I know one thing for sure is that this is my 6th , and last Dodge product ! I have filed all the paperwork to get the lemon law process started, so I will see what happens. One way or the other I will not own this truck for much longer. Anyone interested in a "perfectly drivable" truck in Dodge's eyes...on 2,000 miles :) I also might try to take this to another dealer and see what happens, but I dont think that it will help the situation.

Bubba_Hemi
09-23-2004, 01:10 PM
That's what I would advise... taking it to another dealer. Sometimes you get dealers that are like that and they get few cases like this, that they just don't care to try and make it work.

milo55
09-25-2004, 03:53 AM
That sucks, Nothing can ruin a new truck experience faster. I feel for you!

BWhite
11-15-2004, 07:55 PM
any info on DC having a fix for the vibration

Firegabe
11-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I feel you. I'm going through a problem with DC. and my Prowler. the third brake light dose not work. they don't have the parts and my fix it ticket needs to be signed off. My Dealer told me "too bad so sad" then had the guts to try to sell me a extended warranty while at the same time my extended warranty wont fix my Prowler. And now my '05 truck stalls when you put it in reverse AHHHH!!!

Firegabe

udidwhat?
11-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Hate your having problems but take them to court! I have the same issue with mine and have just contacted Chrysler. One of the tactics from them is to buy time. And it is all car companies not just Chrysler.No one is perfect and once in awile there will be a bad apple in the bunch,that's life.They just need to be reasonable and accept that.Go to Lemonlawamerica.com and it will tell you what meets the standard for Lemon Law in VA.According to my attorney if your description was on the first repair ticket even if they did nothing it is an attempt because that is what you took it in for.GOOD LUCK!! PS let us know what happens next.

powerfulhemi
11-21-2004, 09:58 AM
I have a 2003 Ram quad cab 4x4 1500 that has had a vibration since I bought it. It has been back to the dealer 3-4 times for this exact problem, and they admit there is something wrong, but they don't know what, and Chrysler says they know nothing. It starts at about 67 MPH and goes on from there. They originally told me I had 2 out of round Goodyear tires, but Goodyear refused to warranty them, saying they saw nothing wrong with them. So I switched the tires. I put good quality Michelins on it, have had them balanced twice, and still have the same damn vibration. It makes this truck completely undesirable. On Dec.1 I am to set down with the dealership's general manager, the service manager, the Chrysler tech, and the area Chrysler rep. and see what they will do for me. My buddy is taking his truck over at the same time, he has an '04 and it shakes/wobbles worse than mine. His has 9000 miles, mine has 11,000. I had one dealer here in Ohio tell me they replaced a driveshaft in a truck that was vibrating and that took care of it. He said they reasoned that the damping stuff inside the shaft had come loose, therefore moving around inside the shaft and changing the balance.
They better do something because I really hate this truck because of this ridiculous problem.

HemiMagnum
11-21-2004, 10:42 AM
pursuing the lemon law wont help. there are hundreds of 2500 CTD's with this problem. i have an aluminum driveshaft and i do not have this problem. More people that dont have the aluminum driveshaft have the problem.

The lemon law wont help, its a common problem with the 2500 CTD 4x4's. Dodge IS working on it, as a TSB is coming out soon for this.

powerfulhemi
11-21-2004, 05:34 PM
How can you say there will soon be a TSB for this? Did someone tell you this? I'm at my wits end with this problem so they better do something. Other posts are saying replacing u joints fixed their truck, others say high tech balancing equip fixed their truck, one guy said a torque converter will fix it. If everyone knows all this stuff, why doesn't Chrysler?

wombie
11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
WRONG - pursuing the lemon law will work. GET A GOOD ATTORNEY!! They will eventually back down. Looks like they are not interested in trying to do the right thing?

megabyte29
11-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I know someone who had the same problem. He had to have the transmission replaced as something was defective in the gearing.

megabyte29
11-24-2004, 12:56 PM
This sounds like a dumb question but have you tried another dealership? Some dealers are crooks others are not. Also good dealers seem to like it when you buy a truck at one bad dealer but have it serviced at the good service center. I had a similar problem with a motorcycle dealership when they wouldnt fix my problem I took the bike to another dealership who then used my in a commercial showing how people are having problems with this particular dealership and are now going to another dealership. Believe nothing modivates like bad press. You could also try standing out in front of the bad dealership with a huge sign saying CROOKS HERE!. I bet they would fix your problem within hours.

powerfulhemi
11-25-2004, 05:08 AM
I did call another dealer. It was the one that said a driveshaft fixed the vibration. But they recommended that I just continue with my current dealer since they have looked at the truck so many times, they have all the files, and the tech is familiar with my situation.
In my case, I think the dealer is doing everything they should. The general manager returned my call, he went and talked to the tech and the service manager, and he reviewed all my past warranty issues, including the vibration.
Now I go back Dec. 1st and we all drive my truck, including the Chrysler rep.
I will keep everyone posted on how things turn out with that.
Meanwhile, my $35,000 Ram sits in the driveway not being used because I'm pissed at it.

Who has anymore info on the TSB and when it's coming out? Anyone??

great dane
11-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Ok, my vibration is at all speeds, we have done the tire balance trick twice by dealer and once at a Goodyear dealer. But when the road is real wet it gets a lot better?
Goodyear has ordered 2 new tires for me, and I hope this works.
These 20" rims look cool but looking for snow tires is a joke. LOL.

ccsrcr
11-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Quick update...Still no word from DC on a fix, not even driving the truck any longer. BTW I took the truck to another dealer and they said it was coming from the rear axle and replaced the "side bearings" which did not help at all. I am about 1 1/2 month into the Lemon Law process with DC at this time. I have a lawyer, and they are in the pre-suit process at this time. I am not sure how it works in each state, but in VA it is going to be anywhere from 6-9 months. If anyone needs some assistance or resources on Lemon laws I can send some links, just email me. Also I saw somewhere in the post where a lot of people are having this same problem, so my question is what are they doing about it ???? If everyone just accepts it , then why is DC ever going to get serious about fixing it ?? Like I said before this is my 6th, and LAST DC product, but for all of you Die hard DC fans why not pressure them into correcting the problems. email to : ricmikjon@yahoo.com

Berman
11-30-2004, 09:49 PM
They are utterly jerking you around. Legal speed? lol. Contact a local lemon law lawyer (i'm a law student btw) and find out what you have to do to lemon law it. They will have to buy it back from you.

megabyte29
11-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Hmmm your not using your new truck? Its upsetting you? Sounds like loss of use and emotional deress. You might need that lawyer afterall. The lemon law allows you recover normal rental car costs (loss of use) deress is a bit more to prove. Your best bet is to involve your local TV station which usually loves this kind of story unless the car dealership advertises on the channel then you must go to their competition.

megabyte29
11-30-2004, 10:35 PM
The law in my state Pennsylvania is the dealership has 3 chances to fix it if they cannot they have to give you a new vehicle or refund your money your option. Plus they have to pay your expenses not sure if they have to pay for your lawyer but they do have to pay for a rental car. Check your states law some are harder some are weaker.

powerfulhemi
12-02-2004, 05:27 AM
Went back to the dealer yesterday for this vibration. The rep was there, so he, the service manager, and myself went for a ride. I drove first, then the rep drove. Admittedly, he felt something. He put the truck through some various tests at different speeds, different gears, in 4x4, hard acceleration, easy acceleration, up hills, in neutral coasting down hills, etc. He says it is nothing driveline related in MY PARTICULAR TRUCK. Some of you guys may have other problems. But on Friday they are going to do what's called a force variance balance job on the tires. It matches the tire to the rim, it simulates road load as it balances, it checks the tire for trueness, and basically tells you exactly what condition your rims and tires are in. This machine costs like $60,000 I'm told, and everyone says it works!! So I will let them do this, and see how it feels afterwards. He explained to me in detail how the frame on a Ram is designed, how tight the tolerances are and how rigid the truck is. Therefore, it is more susceptible to road imperfections that you will feel in the cabin. My wife and I took a 2003 Chevy diesel out west this year, and that truck was SMOOTH AS GLASS and I told him that. He told me straight up that this Dodge will never be as smooth as that Chevy simply because the Chevy has a flexible, old, channel style frame and it's flexiness allows it to soak up lots of vibration. He said a Ford is even flexier, and this I know because I have had Ford trucks on the lift at work, and they flex to the point it's very hard to open a door on them while they're off the ground. The Dodges don't have that problem.
So I will let them do that balance, and the rep said to let him know what happens. He is only at the dealer every other month, but he wants the service manager to call him once this balance is done to tell him how it is.
He was a hell of a nice guy, knowledgeable, straight forward with me about things he didn't know, and seems genuinely interested in having a satisfied customer. Same with the service manager. This dealer has done all they can, and I'm pleased with their efforts. And now that the rep has explained more to me about how my truck is designed as far as the frame and suspension, I know I have a hell of a good truck, and it's now clear to me that it will never be smooth, and I'm alright with that now.
His exact words were; "Our trucks are built for the truck enthusiast. They are not built to haul groceries or for that matter, even the family. They are trucks, and Chrysler builds them to be used like a truck."
Incidentally, I'm in Ohio, and this dealer is Norris Dodge in Lodi. I'd recommend them to you guys in the area.

And this rep knows of no forthcoming TSB to remedy the vibration problems some of you are having.

thekingofpain
12-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Good luck with the tire balance, I swapped the brake rotors, wheels and tires for all new high quality aftermarket parts also having the FV balance done---first drive I anxiously took it over 65 and was amazed the problem was still there, unchanged---

Maybe one day when I have some extra bucks get the driveshaft yanked out and checked much closer then my dealer has done, thats all I can think that could be causing it, maybe it is the overall stiffness of the trucks build, thats a good line that might assist me accepting the condition, but it also sounds like psycological manipulation conjured up to ease my mind...

Teddroe
12-03-2004, 01:10 AM
I took my truck into my Dealer again about the VIB. I read on another forum that unhooking the front exhaust hanger that hooks on the trans changes the range of the vibration, so they unhooked it. It did change the VIB from 68 to 72 to 62 to 66. They also tried a new rear driveshaft. (didn't help).

Talked to him the other day and he said they finally have fix coming out the first of the year. Its an aluminum drive shaft with a couple of 5lb weights hanging off the transfer case. DC said the reason for the VIB is because they boxed in the frame for 03 up and the transmission of vibrations up the driveline is a lot more noticeable because the frame is so much more rigid now.

Guess we'll wait and see.............

megabyte29
12-03-2004, 09:40 AM
If you believe its a tire issue how about swapping the tires with different ones off another truck a demo or rental vehicle and trying those. That would allow you to remove suspect part of the puzzle if the vibration is still there you know its not your tires or rims.

powerfulhemi
12-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Well everyone, I said I would post the results after I had the force variance balance done. I am VERY pleased to tell you that my truck no longer shakes, and I have a new-found love for the thing!! Basically, I had 2 problems, one with the left front, and one with the right rear. The right rear tire was out of balance by 2 ounces, and the last place had the weight in the wrong spot.
The problem with the left front was that the tire simply was not in the optimized position on the rim. It had a 31lb. wobble because of that. Apparently the force variance machine measures the wobble of a tire in pounds. 31 pounds is way out of spec, but after optimizing the position of the tire on the rim, it went down to 13lbs. which is within a good spec.
The other 2 tires were off by 1/2 an ounce each. So I recommend some of you guys find a dealer with one of these machines, and a tech who is skilled in the use of it, and have your tires properly balanced. I was like alot of you thinking my truck had driveshaft issues, front diff issues, etc. but it was only a simple tire balance.
So I give a big "thumbs up" to my dealer, Norris Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep in Lodi Ohio. They treated me right through this process.

BWhite
12-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I had my tires roadforced on a Hunter machine($ 60K LOL) and after the tires were matched and balanced, they were all out of spec ( One replaced by BFG ) I still had the same problem . At first I thought it was fixed ( I was convinced ) but in short time 5 minutes or less the glee wore off ...its still there Its a very high frequency vibration

powerfulhemi
12-19-2004, 08:06 AM
How are some of you guys coming along with your vibration issues? I'd like to hear the latest. I'd also like to report that mine is still smooth as glass after the FVB.

GM A Tech
12-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Ok guys heres the story for what its worth. The road force machine IS A an excellent piece of equipment, tire and rim indexing is part of the process. From my name it is obvious that I am A GM tech. The vibration issue in ALL CAR LINES is a rapidly increasing one. At GM there are bulletins that are not public knowledge that we see everyday. Some of them specify specially Screened tires that are used after the road force machine fails to cure the problem. Also in the use of these machines where they are available each tech that uses this piece of gear is specifically trained on it and all repairs are documented on the repair order in his hand writing step by step so that the warranty clerk and more importantly the area vehicle manager knows the operation is being carried out correctly. If you cant get satisfaction at one dealer try another, They are not all created equal. Its also good to find out who the Area vehicle manager is that covers the dealer that your involved with as they can bring to bear a lot of pressure on the store you have issues with. I know when our guy shows up the fish stop swimming :-).
Some of the dealers are crappy when it comes to problems, I had an experience with one in Queens NY that was hell. Went in for some warranty issues, I had the truck 3 months mind ya. Not only didn't the dealer fix any of my problems they told me to go back to where I purchased it to get it fixed 45 miles away. Now to add insult to injury the adviser comes wheeling up in my Ram and says here have a nice day. I open the door and my dash is busted up and my Kenwood DVD/Radio is gone. I go back inside and the adviser says to me " Oh we didn't know you had a radio in there" Nice guys right.
Well Metro Dodge took a month and a half but finally made good for the reimbursement of my radio and they gave me the dash pieces , I put them in myself LOL didn't want them touching my truck after that.
Am I discouraged with my truck hell NO. Dodge makes a kick A$$ truck now the dealer Well lets just say I will never darken there door way
There is an ever increasing problem with tires and the car companies (Ford @ Firestone) They know they have some issues and all the car companies are hard at it trying to solve them. But if ya cant get your issue fixed then by all means Lemon the S.O.Bees
LOve My Ram AND WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANY GM OR FORD TRUCK :rck:

paul c zimmer
12-31-2004, 08:35 AM
I have 04 hemi 2wd quadcab I had a vibration since new and still have it.
At hiway speed of 50-55 iget it but it seems to get better at 65.Also under hard acceleration between 2-3 shift it comes real noticeable .Dealer found nothing wrong . I feels like driveline .I have a 71 ply race car so I know what a bad driveshaft or related feels like. Truck has 6000 miles . someone told me the alum driveshaft is bad but dealer says no.The truck is stock with 20s.

GM A Tech
12-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Bring it back and go for a ride with the tech that is repairing the vehicle and the Service manager, If its happening they cant deny it

paul c zimmer
01-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I did take it back they ck driveshaft angle and said they corected it.I still have problem,rode with different tech said could be exhaust resonance. Both techs and manager said they are going contact dodge for tsb . I dont think its exhaust Im still leaning toward the driveshaft but they say its alright.They said they havent heard anything yet.

rick tufts
01-02-2005, 04:37 PM
I Have A 2004 1500 Hemi Q.c. S.lt.sport With 20000 Kms I Was Experiencing A Vibration Consistant At All Speeds . Well Im Pleased To Say Its No Longer Vibrating Its On The Back Of A Flat Deck On Its Way Back To The Dealer To Have The Rear Differential Rebuilt. I Was At A Stop Sign Waiting To Pull Away When All Of A Sudden Bang. No Go . This Could Have Been Fatal At Highway Speeds Due To The Fact That The Rear Wheels Completely Locked Up . I No Longer Trust This Truck To Be Safe And I Am Seeking Legal Advice. I Will Try To Keep You All Posted.

54marko
01-10-2005, 02:22 PM
On my last truck I had a vibration from 58mph and up. Took it back to the selling dealer and they couldn't id the concern. Said is was tires. Tires were taken off another one of my trucks, vibration still present. It took it one step further and borrowed a vibration/frequency meter and installed in several location on the vehicle (front axle, seat bolts, truck box and rear axle) The frequency and speed indicated a rear axle (first order) concern. Pulled the drive shaft from the other truck and redrove. Vib still present, took this information to selling dealer and they still couldn't see any problem (I think they were a bit intimidated with my findings). Anyway, I again to the truck to another dealer, showed them the graphs and they ordered a rear axle assemble, installed the unit. Vibration gone. Be persistant, you are the owner/driver and are tuned into the concern. Find a dealer that will listen.

dragonslayer1
01-16-2005, 09:39 PM
I have the same truck with the same problem. I will tell more when I have time.

04TurboD
03-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I have an 04 1-Ton, 4x4, TurboD w/3.73 rear. I have had mine in the shop once so far for a similar problem. It starts around 55 MPH but seems to go away by the time I reach 70 MPH. My Dodge dealer gave me the same story about the Dodge techs working on the problem. When I emailed Dodge they told me to bring the truck to another dealer for a second opinion.

This is my first dodge. I recently traded in a 3/4 Silverado for this truck and am already wishing I didn't.

54marko
03-29-2005, 04:37 PM
To help isolate your concern, remove the front drive shaft and take it up to speed. If vibration is gone, the problem is in the front. It no change, reinstall front shaft, remove rear drive shaft and put the truck in 4wd and drive again. If vibration is gone, concern is in the rear. If you could get a vibration frequency meter and attach the unit to your truck and take a vibration reading, you could determine to within 90% where the problem is located.

04TurboD
03-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Thanks 54marko for your suggestions. I'm scheduled to take the truck to a second Dodge Dealer next week and will recommend that they try these tactics when diagnosing my truck. I think my best move right now is to continue perusing this with Dodge so I have documentation in case this ends up in court.

So far I have been less than pleased with the responses I have gotten from Dodge on this and other problems. I hope things improve or this will be my first and last Dodge truck.

HemiRoy
03-30-2005, 08:45 PM
This vibration is the reason I traded my '03 Dodge Cummins for my '05 Hemi powered duplicate truck. The Hemi does have a strong exhaust resonance at certain rpm but no driveline vibrations. I lived with the driveline vibe in the '03 for almost two years and 44k miles. I'll probably have another Dodge Cummins Ram but not before a long 70+mph test drive to be sure there's absolutely no driveline vibration. My first three were smooth as can be except for the normal 2100rpm engine vibe. And it'll be a manual tranny.

powerfulhemi
04-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi everyone. If you remember me, I had the force variance balance done to my truck, and I declared the truck 90% fixed from that goddamn vibration it's always had, and that was about 3000 miles ago. Well, the vibration has begun to return, IN ADDITION to another vibration now when it's in 4X4. In 4X4, either on snow, mud, or dry pavement and going in a straight line under moderate to hard acceleration, the whole truck wobbles and there is a horrible vibration through the floor until you let off the gas. Take it out of 4x4 and it's gone...gotta be something from the transfer case forward. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, but as far as the other vibration at highway speeds, I did remove the front shaft and then drove the truck, that made no difference, vibe was still there. It really pisses me off...can't even enjoy my truck on some of the nice new pavement we have around Ohio because of the shake.

BStark
06-08-2005, 10:57 PM
I have the same problem at just about the same speed. I'm going in for my 3rd service....

scoochy
06-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Not really, a good friend of mine got KIA to play off his Sportage under the lemon law. The problem that they couldn't fix....even after five tries was............................his right rear window didn't roll up as fast as the others :crazy:

Kia offered him $5,000 and a "promise to fix it" and get it right, or buy his Sportage back and return every dollar he put towards the truck (payments, down payment)

He took the buy back offer, and is now driving a more manley Toyota Tundra.

scoochy
06-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Just realized this is a VERY old topic......

boushek
09-18-2005, 09:55 AM
I have a 2500 Cummins w/1000 miles. At 2000 RPM with 4.10 axel, I have a cyclical droan, which happens to be at 65mph. No problem below or above 2k rpm. My friend has identical 2500 with 3.73 axel and he gets same droan at 2000 rpm, which is roughly 70 mph. I've read all the problems about vibration at 65+ mph, but have not read that a solid fix has been implemented. Any word on this from anyone?

BStark
09-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I just picked up my '04 1500 crew cab for the 4th time from the dealer. It was in for 5 days. They said that they do feel it and when Chrysler was asked about it they were told it's the characterists of the truck and it's normal. I told the manager that just because it's normal for the truck doesn't mean it's correct. I love this truck otherwise. I hate driving it on the highway because of the vibration. I told him that I will be taking other means of actions to resolve (Lemon Law) and you know what he agreed with me.

Bubba_Hemi
09-18-2005, 04:26 PM
There's few that will agree with you on such a thing... hope it all works out for you.

boushek
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
If Chrysler actually believes in their statement, "it's the characteristics of the truck and it's normal", then the response reflects an addmission that there is something observably wrong. The problem you are experiencing is not resulting in a risk to your safety, rather a risk to your satisfaction with the product, which does not always motivate a big corporation to take corrective action. Further, I have no doubt that there are hundreds more with the same problem as you; however, you are the only one vocal enough to challenge the status quo with the dealer. If the general population complain loud enough about the same problem, it will get engineering attention to investigate if the problem is for real. I was an engineer for Chrysler in the mid 90's, my advice to you is keep a cool head, be persistant and document all of your interactions with the dealer and Chrysler. You will need to persistently write to Chrysler, but you will get results. Just do not loose your cool in writing.

mullinax05
09-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I had a vibration around 70-73 mph. I had all four tires rebalanced and still had the vibration. So I just lived with the fact that it is something that has do with the truck since the tires/wheels are balanced. I had the 20" chrome clad stock wheels at the time. I have bought a set of 22" Boss 304 wheels and 375/45/22 Nitto 420S tires and now the vibration is gone. When I say vibration I mean that the steering wheel would shake in my hands. Very noticeable. There has however been some members that have the same thing around 70 mph that have 17" wheels. Is it the drivetrain of the trucks or the factory wheels? Now just my experience it must be the wheels.

When I worked at a tire shop years ago Ford brought some of there new cars in that the tires were flat. They didn't know how they kept slowly leaking down until the tires were flat. We found out why. The wheels were leaking not the tires!! So I don't think that the car companies spend a whole lot on making the wheels. Some of the wheels might be out of round or something. I have seen bent wheels (out of round) with tires mounted on them balance out perfect, but when they are on the road they still cause vibration. More than likely this is what happened to me now that I think about it.

Chyrsler needs to take two or more trucks and find out what is going on. So they can pin point the problem and be able to tell the dealerships what to do to correct the problem.

jazzmaster221
02-13-2006, 08:30 PM
hummmm ...the speed limit in arizona is 75 .....