2002 dodge dakota smoking? [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: 2002 dodge dakota smoking?

jordash
05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I have a 2002 dodge dakota 4.7 litre v8 and there is black smoke coming out of the exhaust, its has lack of power and high fuel consumption. Anybody know what the problem may be? Thanks.

jordash
05-23-2010, 11:19 AM
There was also a new oxygen sensor put on the truck but did not fix the problem but the check engine light did come off.

chal138
05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
black smoke usually means your burning oil. My guess would be blown head gasket or cracked head. I would have a pressure test done on the cylinders and post the results. Im not sure if that would cause excessive fuel use though.

MONKYMAN
05-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Black smoke is too much fuel. Oil burning is a blue-ish grey smoke and coolant burning is white smoke.

After replacing the Oxy sensor if the check engine light was on and then went off after... Unhook the battery and leave it unhooked. Then try and start the truck and hold it for about 30 seconds. That will totally discharge all electricity stored in the computers. Then hook the battery back up and drive it for about half a tank of gas. See if it fixes itself. Takes a while for the computer to re-learn parameters.
On the first start up it learns a TON of stuff.

Pull a couple plugs from each side of the engine and see what color they are as well as the gaps.

There are only a few things that change the fuel/air mixture in these engines. These being the "Intake Air temperature (IAT)" sensor, "Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)" Sensor and the upstream O2 sensor.
There are measurable values that these sensors should be at which you can check. Out of range and the sensors need to be replaced or you could have other problems. Sorry I do not know the values. DRBII scan tool would tell you but most people do not have them (including myself sadly)

Let us know what you find out

TEAMFAST
05-24-2010, 11:00 AM
there should be a check engine light by now!

dakota
05-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Turn your key until just the dash lights come on, i.e. air bag, anti lock etc, then back off. Do this 3 times but leave it in the ON position the 3rd time. Look at the odometer the 3rd time and it should give you a code if the check engine light is on. Enter any codes you get on this site's search area and you should be able to diagnose the problem from there. At NO time when cycling the ignition should you turn the key all the way to the start position.

DartBoy01
05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Even though it was replaced with a new o2 sensor, it could possibly of been bad which could cause it to send a signal to the computer saying it's too lean.

MeanThree18
05-24-2010, 02:44 PM
I vote Idle Air Control Valve / Motor.

jordash
05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I unhooked battery to clear all electricity from computers, hooked back up, went for a run but still the same. Now the check engine light is on again. Checked code on odometer, reads p0171. Any suggestions

flat-head-dodge
05-24-2010, 09:52 PM
I unhooked battery to clear all electricity from computers, hooked back up, went for a run but still the same. Now the check engine light is on again. Checked code on odometer, reads p0171. Any suggestions

Aha! The p0171 trouble code reads as follows in my factory 2001 manual:

Generic Scan Tool P-Code - P0171(M)
DBR Scan Tool Display - 1/1 Fuel System Lean
Brief Discription of DTC - A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.

What does that really mean and how do you fix it? Not as easy. I agree with Monkeyman about the O2 sensor. In our trucks there are four(4) O2 sensors, at least on the 4.7L V8, so if you replaced one, another could possibly be bad or bad connection.

In the Emissions Control section of my manual, it talks about the PCM maintaining a 14.7 to 1 air/fuel ratio. The way it does this is to monitor the exhaust gases via the O2 sensors. When they go bad, the PCM cannot get a good reading and the engine runs funny. The manual goes on and on and I cannot type fast enough. If you need more, I can try a scan or something...

DartBoy01
05-24-2010, 10:59 PM
MONKYMAN?!?! I think that's what I said lol. I think I get the cookie outta this one ;)

MONKYMAN
05-25-2010, 02:52 AM
MONKYMAN?!?! I think that's what I said lol. I think I get the cookie outta this one ;)

Hey I have only posted once and i was the 2nd attempt to shed some light on the situation. Clearly I am the one that gets the cookie!

These trucks are so funky too! Some of our trucks only have 2 o2 senors some have 4. All of the ones sold in California have 4. Personally the three dakotas I have owned have all had two. One upstream and one downstream from the cat. Now my friends 98 dak has 4! And anothers friends 01 has 4.

I would check the IAT and the MAP. Personally I would replace both. They are not too expensive. Idle Air control solenoid does not change Fuel/air mixture so shouldnt be that. It just adjusts how much air flows around the TB and not through it. and only effects idle.

flat-head-dodge
05-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Now now boys. Play nice. Didn't your mama teach you to share the cookie?

BLK_LITING
05-26-2010, 09:51 PM
dangit it's my cookie I stole it fair and square before any one ever posted any thing. if yall want it you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands

DartBoy01
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Now now boys. Play nice. Didn't your mama teach you to share the cookie?

Sharings for losers, that cookies mine. lol

dangit it's my cookie I stole it fair and square before any one ever posted any thing. if yall want it you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands

As for you, you were still in nap time when they handed out this cookie.

BLK_LITING
05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
As for you, you were still in nap time when they handed out this cookie.[/QUOTE]

Ssshhhhh i think he's still sleeping

MONKYMAN
05-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Post #2! Cookie is mine! Lets race for it! Someones truck will not even move a foot :D two peoples trucks will smoke the tires and then one persons truck will leave us in the dust. Guess who is who.... HAHA

Back on topic... Any updates?