Whats the best way to rust proof my truck? [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: Whats the best way to rust proof my truck?

moparmanintn
12-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Hey guys I live in Indiana and with all the salt we have here everything rust like crazy. My truck is from TN and mostly rust free except for a couple real small holes in the floor oterwise its just surface rust underneath and I really want to cover it with something before it turns into anything worse. I'm gona be using the truck all winter but before I get it out in the salt I want to rust proof it as much as posible without taking the cab or bed off. What should I use? Is there any good anti rust paint in a spray can or should I use some kind of undercoating?

Ram3500Dually
12-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Dripless Oil Spray

moparmanintn
12-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Where can I get that? I just spray it on everything?

Ram3500Dually
12-22-2012, 11:22 AM
http://www.ontariostoprust.com/
You need to find a place like this.

lunchbox1671
12-23-2012, 12:15 PM
You can try removing as much rust as possible and using a "rust-converter" before covering it. I wouldn't go very long without proper work...

The BEST and ONLY good way to deal with rust is REMOVE it (sand-blast, chem-dip, grind, etc), prime, paint, and HEAVY undercoat...

Rust is a cancer and WILL re-surface if not completely removed (been there, done that).

DadTruck
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
RustCheck is a product that I have used,, it is not a one time put it on a forget it,,, take it back every other year or so for a touch up...

http://www.rustcheck.com/

they have a shop on the south side of Indy,

moparmanintn
12-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Is there a place I can just buy the stuff and do it myself? That sounds like exactly what I need because next summer I'm doing a frame off so all I need is something to protect it through the winter.

DadTruck
12-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Rust Check will sell you the product by the gallon, or they have in the past anyway,,,

acton mike
01-01-2013, 06:24 AM
products like rust chek need to be applied annually.
they actually creep into inaccessible places, like seams, by capillary action.
the product also displaces moisture and also acts like a penetrating oil so that removing fasteners, even on an older vehicle where corrosion has already started, becomes a whole bunch easier.

holes are drilled in blind areas (like door jambs) and little plastic plugs installed which provides access for the re-sprays

here in Canada where we are charged too much for everything (they charge too much because they can) the cost works out to about $125/year -probably would be less where you are

There is another product called Krown which is similar

heavy tar/petroleum based undercoatings can harden up and crack and this allows water and the road de-icing material to be trapped and thus do their evil deeds

check out the rust-chek/Krown