2010 Ram 2500 Diesel with factory trailer brake [Archive] - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

: 2010 Ram 2500 Diesel with factory trailer brake

lbcarl
11-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Labor day weekend I was on the way home towing my travel trailer when the "CF!" warning ;light came on the controls, and the red trailer warning camen the dash. Stopped, unplugged trailer, and it stopped. P_lugged up again and continued. LIght came on again, but the brakes did work. The vehicle was parked for an extende time after that whjile I was out of town. About two weeks ago, I got in it and started it at a service statrion. All kinds of wrning lights started flashing on the dash(including a large number "4"), and the trailer brake warning on the controls.In addition when I put it in gear,m the indicator did not indicate what gear I was in, and the truck had no power and drove like it started out in high gear. I pulled over, and shuit it off. When I restarted it worked fine. Next when I went to start it in the morning allo the warning lights came on, and the starter kept hitting like a bad selonoid, or something. Shut it off,preheat, and ity fired right up. Yesterday I had been out of town for two weeks. When I went to start it, it would not start, just like a bad battery. Jumped it with jumpoer cables and it fired right up. Today, the trailer warning lighyts again. No trailer being towed at all since labor day. These are the original batteries(Chrysler) two years old. This truck has only 8000 miles on it. Batteries????:mad:

cumminsmannow
11-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere like a computer. I would take it to the dealer asap before you run out of 3/36 warranty

lbcarl
11-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Thats what I was thinking also, but have not found it yet. Its kind of scary to drive it right now like that.

wyat72
11-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Thats what I was thinking also, but have not found it yet. Its kind of scary to drive it right now like that.

If your vehicle is under warranty it will get towed to the dealer for free.

jstemann
11-06-2012, 08:04 PM
On my last 3 dodge diesels, the OEM batteries were pretty crappy. I ended up changing them after about a year or 18 months, weak start or having to jump start. I'd guess you're still under warranty, take it in and have it checked out. Could also be a loose/dirty connection on the battery, TIPM or starter.

Your symptoms would definitely point towards one or both batteries being bad.

Jeff.

Billy32303
12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
I have the same rig, less than 25,000 mile and have had both batteries replaced. The tow break light came on wit error messages, then it would not start. Once one battery goes, it drains the other. You are suppose to replace both at the same time although the dealer did not do this. Once I am out of warranty, think I will get some really good batteries. They must have some junky batteries from the factory. I was pretty disappointed in these breakdowns, towed in with less than 25,000 miles...not good. I do love the truck.

lbcarl
12-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Took it in and it was the battery for sure. Hard to beleive the battery was doing that even with the truck running.

Rock$tar
12-21-2012, 09:28 AM
I had the same prob on a gas truck, it was the TIPM had to be replaced by the dealer and truck reflashed.

SlimTex
01-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Took it in and it was the battery for sure. Hard to beleive the battery was doing that even with the truck running.

My batteries were 1.5 years old, both had bad cells. Only issue was a lazy crank in the morning.

They need to be replaced in pairs btw.